Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2015, 01:41 PM
RE: Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution
(12-11-2015 11:20 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 11:16 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  First I am no Biblical historian nor will I profess to be but I have read enough from those who are to know that the Bible is factually wrong in much of its "history". (Take a look at goodwithoutgod's compendium thread if you haven't already).

I'm relieved that you didn't mention the Noahtic flood.
Now, in all fairness, I have to admit that the great flood is one topic I don't know all the answers to. It does still puzzle me. That topic would be my weakest subject to defend.

The Noahic Flood is dead simple: it never happened.

There is absolutely no evidence of a flood of that magnitude in the last 100,000 years, AND the existing evidence is that such a flood is impossible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-11-2015, 01:50 PM
[quote='jason_delisle' pid='894753' dateline='1447356123']
Now I have to go practice for the Marine Corps birthday ball. I am on the sword detail.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
12-11-2015, 02:52 PM
(12-11-2015 11:00 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Although archeology can not prove that what Jesus said was true but it can however confirm that a lot of what is said that occurred does match up with the bible to enhance its credibility.

So you accept that finding Troy lends credibility to the Iliad's stories of the actions of the Greek gods and the confirmed existence of New York City lends credibility to the stories of spiderman? Let's not forget that Abraham Lincoln was apparently an adept vampire hunter.

A good storyteller will often use real places, people, and events in order to increase the realism of the story. Nothing about that is evidence or support for the fictitious parts that are added.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
12-11-2015, 02:56 PM
(12-11-2015 08:32 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 08:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Jesus died for my sins Rolleyes
How did you conclude that it was a lie?

When you consider the batshit insane concept that is a sin - that some uber-being is pissed with me and will hurt me *after I am dead* because I did something allegedly bad like stroked myself at night.

Add to that the idea that a human/god hybrid getting nailed to a piece of wood somehow appeases the uber-being - provided that I believe that this event occured and that the somehow-still-living human-god can "save" me.

And then consider that the "evidence" for this is that lots of people believe it and if you navel gaze you too can convince yourself, or alternatively you can read a book of extremely questionable provenance which purports to describe events surrounding the death of the human-god.

And *then* think about who stands to gain if you do believe this ridiculous claim.

How the fuck does *anyone* manage to convince themselves of the truth of this?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
12-11-2015, 03:02 PM
(12-11-2015 02:52 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 11:00 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Although archeology can not prove that what Jesus said was true but it can however confirm that a lot of what is said that occurred does match up with the bible to enhance its credibility.

So you accept that finding Troy lends credibility to the Iliad's stories of the actions of the Greek gods and the confirmed existence of New York City lends credibility to the stories of spiderman? Let's not forget that Abraham Lincoln was apparently an adept vampire hunter.

A good storyteller will often use real places, people, and events in order to increase the realism of the story. Nothing about that is evidence or support for the fictitious parts that are added.
Negative. I am actually saying the opposite. All archeology did was prove the existence of a city. Just because a city is found does not mean the story was true. That is one of the limitations of archeology. It doesn't prove the story is true, but if archeology matches up with the story, it makes the story more likely to be true. If the story does not align with archeology, there is a good chance the story is false.
12-11-2015, 03:09 PM
(12-11-2015 02:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 08:32 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  How did you conclude that it was a lie?

When you consider the batshit insane concept that is a sin - that some uber-being is pissed with me and will hurt me *after I am dead* because I did something allegedly bad like stroked myself at night.

Add to that the idea that a human/god hybrid getting nailed to a piece of wood somehow appeases the uber-being - provided that I believe that this event occured and that the somehow-still-living human-god can "save" me.

And then consider that the "evidence" for this is that lots of people believe it and if you navel gaze you too can convince yourself, or alternatively you can read a book of extremely questionable provenance which purports to describe events surrounding the death of the human-god.

And *then* think about who stands to gain if you do believe this ridiculous claim.

So the reason why you believe that Jesus dying for your sins was a lie is because you think it's BS? It doesn't seem like a very convincing argument. It's like saying I don't believe in evolution because evolution is BS. Give me a specific example. What specific detail about the death of Jesus do you not believe and why?
12-11-2015, 03:18 PM
(12-11-2015 03:02 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  That is one of the limitations of archeology. It doesn't prove the story is true, but if archeology matches up with the story, it makes the story more likely to be true.

I agree that if the archaeology doesn't match the story then that is evidence against it being true (the exodus being one good example). I disagree that the archaeology matching does anything to make the story more likely to be true. Unless there is actual evidence for the specific events then the archaeology only supports the existence of the setting that was used to tell a story.

London existing doesn't make Sherlock Holmes or Oliver Twist more likely to have been real people. Paris existing doesn't make it more likely that a hunchback fell in love with a gypsy.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
12-11-2015, 03:21 PM
(12-11-2015 03:09 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 02:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  When you consider the batshit insane concept that is a sin - that some uber-being is pissed with me and will hurt me *after I am dead* because I did something allegedly bad like stroked myself at night.

So the reason why you believe that Jesus dying for your sins was a lie is because you think it's BS? It doesn't seem like a very convincing argument. It's like saying I don't believe in evolution because evolution is BS. Give me a specific example. What specific detail about the death of Jesus do you not believe and why?

I said it *feels* like a lie. And I detailed why. You're telling me that the provenance of the Bible, the lack of verified evidence for the story contained therein and the magical elements of the said story don't give you pause? You're telling me that it's plausible to you that some universe creator cares enough that you wank to torture you post-mortem?

If you want me to say something like "I believe the resurrection didn't happen" then yes, I believe it didn't happen. Go on. Hit me with "but you can't prove that" Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-11-2015, 03:22 PM
(12-11-2015 01:20 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Nooooooo! Not brown! I love brown! Why? . I got your point just being silly. Like I said. I have asked myself the same questions you and almost everyone else have brought up and I have found answers that made sense to me but probably not everyone else.
If you like brown, you must be crazy!
Smile

On a serious note, I get what you're saying. I wasn't criticizing you personally, just that line of thinking. You're right that it won't make as much sense to me. As long as you've thought about them, that's more than most theists. Since you and I are both recovering Catholics, we know what it's like to embrace crazy.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
12-11-2015, 03:29 PM
(12-11-2015 03:22 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 01:20 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Nooooooo! Not brown! I love brown! Why? . I got your point just being silly. Like I said. I have asked myself the same questions you and almost everyone else have brought up and I have found answers that made sense to me but probably not everyone else.
If you like brown, you must be crazy!
Smile

On a serious note, I get what you're saying. I wasn't criticizing you personally, just that line of thinking. You're right that it won't make as much sense to me. As long as you've thought about them, that's more than most theists. Since you and I are both recovering Catholics, we know what it's like to embrace crazy.

In my junior high art class one time we had some tests/charts or something that gave labels to what it said about you if you liked X certain color. I remember because I knew 1 kid who liked Brown, and my friends never let it go, that the charts said you were something akin to you were mentally challenged if your favorite color was brown.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post