Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2011, 01:44 PM
RE: Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution
My first experience with creationists was when I was 8 at my grandma's VBS. By then I already was familiar with evolution and big bang and all of that (both of my parents LOVE science)

They thought I was a child possessed, I talked at length about dinosaurs, cavemen, and physics... my little old Sunday school teacher had no idea what to do. My poor grandmother still defended me against her church though. Although I'm quite sure she knows I'm an atheist, I never told her. FSM bless her heart.

I'm pretty sure the reason why creationists try to disprove evolution is no further then their church, they do what their church says.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2011, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2011 08:42 PM by daemonowner.)
I listened to a bit of a lecture, referenced by a creationist commenting on TTA's YT account. It was a creationist and renowned PhD chemist (I think) arguing that whale evolution is crap, the vestigial hind limbs on the Basilosaurus were used to anchor it to the ground when it wanted to - This is a ~24m whale ancestor with pathetically tiny hind limbs, comparable to the forelimbs of T-rex.
These people may be smart in other fields or areas, but they just don't think rationally about evolution or anything else that would go against their religious beliefs, they see all of that through the perspective of their religion.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
08-08-2011, 08:58 PM
The old it's been around longer so it must be true debate is quite surprising but I've read it from young Earthers.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Evolution was all agreed too or understood.

The only instance I ever knew of creationism was always hearing of it as a joke about this 1 baseball player Carl Everette who in an interview said, "I don't believe in no dinosaurs!"

I didn't know anyone actually believed those ideas what it was until.. Sarah Palin came into the picture and talked all proudly about it. Undecided
09-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Going by what people in this thread are saying it looks like creationism isn't as wide spread as I was beginning to think. There's still hope for humanity yet. Phew Big Grin

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
09-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Yes, but FSM_scot, don't forget that not all of us are from USA, and that is where Creationism flourishes... You will not find that many, if any Creationists in Europe or specially Asia, I highly doubt they ever heard of them in Africa, but America is a whole different story. And now we come back to the bad school system of USA and lack of (normal) education. It is so incredible for me, so unimaginable, sooooo damn weird that a country like USofA can have so many highly uneducated people, people with extreme levels of ignorance and because of that it has become the breeding ground for Creationists and similar ... I don't even have the right word for them. What are they, idiots, or just poor lost souls? What is the percentage of Creationists in USA, 20%, 30%? That is HUGE number of stupid, ignorant, brainwashed people. And despite all, I feel sorry for them, I feel sorry for their undeveloped brains, I feel sorry for the turn the whole state is taking.

One more thing to think about is what about those preachers? Do you really think they believe in all the BS they preach around, or they just take advantage where they can and they keep the people stupid so they can have more money and influence the politics of the whole country? I don't think of them as so stupid as the "normal" people, I think they are very intelligent, aware of how things work in real world, but they need to keep people ignorant and afraid of God so that they can have more power. In other words, worlds most powerful state is becoming a religious state, just as half of middle-eastern countries are. I have a feeling it is all deliberately controlled from the top down, now it is so easy to control the mass, just tell them God wants it and your problem is solved.

And from USA it is very easy to influence and spread your wishes/beliefs to the rest of the world. So give it a while, they will spread around like flies, if we don't take steps before. Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-08-2011, 09:01 PM
The church is of course the main reason it's discussed so heavily. Few people would believe creationism if not for preachers. The reason that creationists want to disprove evolution though is because they grew up believing in god's Hierarchy. Humans are supposed to be superior to animals and separate (originally males and females were also separated) The main argument people in this line of reasoning follow is the fact that they have some sort of special significance. If evolution discussed everything in the world except humans, then the creationists would barely ever mention it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
10-08-2011, 09:58 PM
(07-08-2011 05:22 PM)James The Brit Wrote:  want to hear something funny?

When i was younger i thought everyone believed that evolution was real and was facted, i never met anyone who disagreed.

it was only untill i was 12 in My R.E class i found out that nutjobs didnt ;/

I'm almost 40 and I didn't realize it until 3 years ago when I moved to Texas. You know what else they believe in? Noah's ark. I was actually shocked to learn both of these things. I thought maybe it was a few people here and there who would believe something so crazy-but around here it's actually the majority. I heard a statistic just yesterday that said 40% of Americans believe in creation. Things like this seriously make me lose hope. :/

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
13-10-2011, 10:30 PM
(04-08-2011 09:21 AM)digitali Wrote:  Do they know that if they succeed, it doesn't prove creationism anyway?Smile

If evolution is not true then it cannot "disprove" creationism and that's what they are fighting.

It is simply this:
If evolution is true
Adam and Eve did not exist
No original sin, No fall of man
No need for a savior to wash away original sin
No need for Jesus
No Jesus, then no basis for Christianity.
The reason christians have the old testament tied in is to show the reason for Jesus' coming.

They are scared to death of evolution and will not go down without a fight.
You will never get a christian to swallow the evolution poison. It is suicide for them.
14-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Because it plays to the lowest common denominator. Lets the people in the cheap seats know their pastor's fighting the good fight - we didn't descend from no apes!

Even though Adam was not created in God's image - even though daring to "define God by looking the mirror" is straight blaspheme - even though The Bible does not support it... we ain't descended from no apes! Vapor lock.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-10-2011, 02:55 AM
(13-10-2011 10:30 PM)Thomas Wrote:  
(04-08-2011 09:21 AM)digitali Wrote:  Do they know that if they succeed, it doesn't prove creationism anyway?Smile

If evolution is not true then it cannot "disprove" creationism and that's what they are fighting.

It is simply this:
If evolution is true
Adam and Eve did not exist
No original sin, No fall of man
No need for a savior to wash away original sin
No need for Jesus
No Jesus, then no basis for Christianity.
The reason christians have the old testament tied in is to show the reason for Jesus' coming.

They are scared to death of evolution and will not go down without a fight.
You will never get a christian to swallow the evolution poison. It is suicide for them.

Don't Catholics accept evolution ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin