Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2015, 09:33 AM
RE: Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution
(24-11-2015 09:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(24-11-2015 09:03 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  I just had a thought. What if a lot of the things described in the bible such as "a talking pillar of fire and a talking burning bush" were not literal? What if they were something else that the people of that time never understood? What if "a pillar of fire" was something that actually just resembled a pillar of fire?

What if God as described in the Bible is actually a garbled account of a visit from a technologically advanced species?

It could well be that if something did indeed happen then people recorded it couched in terms of their experience - that they didn't have the words to properly describe what they saw.

What if a 'pillar of fire' describes a rocket exhaust? What if, to overawe the natives, the putative advanced species dropped a loudspeaker in a bush and doused it with petrol. Actually it probably would not be hard to reproduce these things even with basic technology probably *available to humans at the time*.

Egyptian temples were full of tricks like doors that opened without apparent human agency and stuff like that. Ol' Moses might have supposed it was God but been tricked.

So yeah, it could well be that the words aren't meant to be taken literally.

My next question is, if you accept that we've established that the account itself might be unreliable, how now can one turn around and say that though the writers of the bible got the burning bush wrong, they interpreted the God stuff right? Is it not more likely that that *too* was subject to their biases in interpretation and in recording?
One of my favorite shows is ancient aliens. I find the ancient astronaut theories to be interesting.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2015, 09:41 AM
... Well, it's entertaining but so far no evidence. Not that facts have ever gotten in the way of good TV...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-11-2015, 09:45 AM
(24-11-2015 09:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... Well, it's entertaining but so far no evidence. Not that facts have ever gotten in the way of good TV...
I agree. But I will have to admit that the discovery of life on another planet, especially intelligent life would cripple many religions.
24-11-2015, 09:48 AM
(24-11-2015 09:45 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(24-11-2015 09:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... Well, it's entertaining but so far no evidence. Not that facts have ever gotten in the way of good TV...
I agree. But I will have to admit that the discovery of life on another planet, especially intelligent life would cripple many religions.

Nah, they'd find a way. Too much money in it not to. At first being of the Borg would be like being gay used to be - a pariah status, then public opinion would swing and the Borg would also be accepted into the arms of Christ.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
24-11-2015, 09:53 AM
I think that the likely result would be to label them as fallen angels or their nephilim. Here is the biblical scripture that describes them.

1 When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God (aka fallen angels) saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years." 4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days--and also afterward--when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Genesis 6:1-4 NIV
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
24-11-2015, 09:55 AM
You still a Christian, Mr Chaplain?

24-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Yes although not a fundamentalists. Remember I said I am non-denominational for a reason. It is because I ask myself questions like this.
24-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Assuming that it has some level of truth, Genesis 6:1-4 would explain that many of the ancient gods and heroes were actually either fallen angels, their offspring, or a highly intelligent extraterrestrial.

It is these "nephilim " that many believe is the reason for the flood and why God commanded the Israelites to slaughter it's neighboring nations. Deuteronomy 2 and Joshua 17 suggests that these other nations were not human but nephilim. Because of this belief, very existence of nephilim is an abomination to God's and would explain why a perfect and loving God would slaughter entire nations and command the Israelites to never marry and have relations with people outside of their nation.
24-11-2015, 10:18 AM

it all makes sense now Gasp

24-11-2015, 10:26 AM
(24-11-2015 10:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  ...

it all makes sense now Gasp
Is that a hint of sarcasm I hear?