Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2015, 10:59 AM
RE: Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution
(24-11-2015 10:26 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(24-11-2015 10:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  ...

it all makes sense now Gasp
Is that a hint of sarcasm I hear?

That's like standing at the base of Krakatoa and saying you think you heard a rumble.
Laugh out load

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Okay, but you have to admit that it is probably the most logical explanation to explain a lot of things in the bible. Even if you don't believe in God, if you believe that the existence of advanced extraterrestrial life is plausible, it would explain a lot.
24-11-2015, 11:08 AM
(24-11-2015 10:14 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Assuming that it has some level of truth, Genesis 6:1-4 would explain that many of the ancient gods and heroes were actually either fallen angels, their offspring, or a highly intelligent extraterrestrial.

It is these "nephilim " that many believe is the reason for the flood and why God commanded the Israelites to slaughter it's neighboring nations. Deuteronomy 2 and Joshua 17 suggests that these other nations were not human but nephilim. Because of this belief, very existence of nephilim is an abomination to God's and would explain why a perfect and loving God would slaughter entire nations and command the Israelites to never marry and have relations with people outside of their nation.

You ever read the 13 volume "Interpreter's Bible" ? (1952). It examines the literary origins of ever single line in those texts. After reading a few chapters, it's pretty obvious they "appropriated" myths from other sources, texts, and cultures.
Most of them were believers, scholars, churchmen, seminary professors.

Page 15: Dr. Herbert F. Farmer, Professor of Divinity at Cambridge University wrote : "The reason has to do with the evidence afforded by the texts themselves, and calls for fuller treatment. Scholarly research into the texts themselves, has convincingly shown that they cannot be accepted in detail as they stand."

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
24-11-2015, 11:15 AM
(24-11-2015 11:08 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-11-2015 10:14 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Assuming that it has some level of truth, Genesis 6:1-4 would explain that many of the ancient gods and heroes were actually either fallen angels, their offspring, or a highly intelligent extraterrestrial.

It is these "nephilim " that many believe is the reason for the flood and why God commanded the Israelites to slaughter it's neighboring nations. Deuteronomy 2 and Joshua 17 suggests that these other nations were not human but nephilim. Because of this belief, very existence of nephilim is an abomination to God's and would explain why a perfect and loving God would slaughter entire nations and command the Israelites to never marry and have relations with people outside of their nation.

You ever read the 13 volume "Interpreter's Bible" ? (1952). It examines the literary origins of ever single line in those texts. After reading a few chapters, it's pretty obvious they "appropriated" myths from other sources, texts, and cultures.
Most of them were believers, scholars, churchmen, seminary professors.

Page 15: Dr. Herbert F. Farmer, Professor of Divinity at Cambridge University wrote : "The reason has to do with the evidence afforded by the texts themselves, and calls for fuller treatment. Scholarly research into the texts themselves, has convincingly shown that they cannot be accepted in detail as they stand."
I have not read it but I will check it out. Thanks.
24-11-2015, 12:02 PM
(24-11-2015 11:04 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Okay, but you have to admit that it is probably the most logical explanation to explain a lot of things in the bible.
Not in my opinion. Remember, in just a couple hundred years, how many Americans tell the story of George Washington chopping down a cherry tree? We know it's false but so many tell it like it's truth.

During the Civil War the Confederacy had a metal ship. A Union soldier planted a bomb on it. They claim he was shot at and that *every* shot passed through his shirt. (I may have this story confused. I'll check later.)

There's evidence that Sam Adams and Paul Revere drank a lot. Adams was known for brewing. The plan was that Revere was to quietly announce the British were coming. Being drunk he yelled it. But the story we're taught is he was warning the town.

As for Moses and his tricks? My brother and I formed a magic group here long ago. The trick of replacing a staff with a snake is easy. I can do the trick of your card showing up on my arm after I burn the card and spread the ash. I can bring a fly back to life. My brother does the trick of turning his wrist 360°. We can levitate. I can make your watch stop. Another cuts a rope and reassemble it perfectly. I can make you choose King of Hearts no matter how hard you try not to.

My point is that magicians can do a lot of the same tricks. But even though we tell you it's real, it's patter. And you know we're not wizards.

Stories get passed down and exaggerated. Or, perhaps, some are just lies. I'm hoping they were exaggerated over time.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
24-11-2015, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2015 12:40 PM by jason_delisle.)
(24-11-2015 12:02 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(24-11-2015 11:04 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Okay, but you have to admit that it is probably the most logical explanation to explain a lot of things in the bible.
Not in my opinion. Remember, in just a couple hundred years, how many Americans tell the story of George Washington chopping down a cherry tree? We know it's false but so many tell it like it's truth.

During the Civil War the Confederacy had a metal ship. A Union soldier planted a bomb on it. They claim he was shot at and that *every* shot passed through his shirt. (I may have this story confused. I'll check later.)

There's evidence that Sam Adams and Paul Revere drank a lot. Adams was known for brewing. The plan was that Revere was to quietly announce the British were coming. Being drunk he yelled it. But the story we're taught is he was warning the town.

As for Moses and his tricks? My brother and I formed a magic group here long ago. The trick of replacing a staff with a snake is easy. I can do the trick of your card showing up on my arm after I burn the card and spread the ash. I can bring a fly back to life. My brother does the trick of turning his wrist 360°. We can levitate. I can make your watch stop. Another cuts a rope and reassemble it perfectly. I can make you choose King of Hearts no matter how hard you try not to.

My point is that magicians can do a lot of the same tricks. But even though we tell you it's real, it's patter. And you know we're not wizards.

Stories get passed down and exaggerated. Or, perhaps, some are just lies. I'm hoping they were exaggerated over time.
Or the story of Elijah ascending to heaven in a chariot of fire could be a primitive way to describe and alien abduction. Tongue

Then again, alien abductions could be another way to rationalize heavenly ascension. Eh... Are aliens actually demons, or are demons actually aliens?
24-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Excuse me while I put aluminum foil on my head now.
24-11-2015, 12:58 PM
(24-11-2015 10:14 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  It is these "nephilim " that many believe is the reason for the flood
Are you talking about a world wide flood?

...because that never happened. It would be impossible.
24-11-2015, 01:17 PM
(24-11-2015 12:58 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(24-11-2015 10:14 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  It is these "nephilim " that many believe is the reason for the flood
Are you talking about a world wide flood?

...because that never happened. It would be impossible.
I don't know if it would be the entire world. However if there was a catastrophic flood on a large enough scale would it be plausible to assume the writer believed the entire world was flooded. The fact that the bible mentions nephilim after the flood would lead someone to conclude that not everyone was killed.
24-11-2015, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2015 01:46 PM by Peebothuhul.)
Hello again. Hug

Glad you're still about. Thumbsup

(24-11-2015 09:33 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  One of my favorite shows is ancient aliens. I find the ancient astronaut theories to be interesting.

(24-11-2015 11:04 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Okay, but you have to admit that it is probably the most logical explanation to explain a lot of things in the bible. Even if you don't believe in God, if you believe that the existence of advanced extraterrestrial life is plausible, it would explain a lot.

Okay, so to roll with this premise opens up with even more and different problems.

1) Aliens came here... did stuff and then...? What? They ran out of frequent flier points? Why haven't they come back?

2) All the things they now might have supposed done/did both seem to fit with the knowledge/thinking of the time. As well as not imparting any knowledge/ways of thinking that would seem to be completely alien as to stick out, both then and now.

Aliens are not just some people dressed up in a 'Wookie' suit.

They would be 'ALIEN". Almost as in H.R. Giger strangeness. Something that would move, think, react very differently compared to anything here on Earth.

The only things in common between 'Us' and 'Them'? Would be that physics and chemistry work the same way for both.

Pretty much everything else would be, by definition, different. Their take on gravity, atmosphere density and composition. Local solar lighting and frequencies.

So... as for most of the whole 'Ancient aliens' stuff? Yah, pretty sure we've had threads where folks have provided links showing why it's all bunk.

I some times find it annoying that people today are so ignorant that, simply because they can't image doing something as complex as stacking bricks they then leap to the idea that our 'primitive' ancestors couldn't either.

Our so called 'primitive' ancestors when we only go back a couple of thousand years? They were 'Primitive' they were just 'Material science deficient'. Tongue

Look at this machine, for example.

http://stephenjressler.com/portfolio/the...-ballista/

It's a continuation of the development of the bolt/stone thrower.

For something made out of mostly wood? It's darn impressive.

Sorry to ramble... but there are so many different things I'd like to address both with the 'Ancient aliens' shtick as well as the 'Aliens are here now." thing.

We had another poster in another thread who seemed to have a complete brain melt down over this subject. I found their posts just got less coherent and understandable as their ideas about aliens (And te visiting etc) were questioned.

Am hoping our conversation keeps on a steady track. Smile

Much cheers to you and yours, best wishes jason_delisle
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post