Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2015, 09:11 AM
RE: Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution
(14-12-2015 08:22 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  The main reason why I choose to believe is something that I almost regret to say. Lest I am labeled as insane. But I will very hesitantly say that God spoke to me in a way that I could not deny. I know you all may think it is insane which is why it took so much prodding to get it out. I know it will have absolutely no influence on anyone reading this forum but it is the truth.

Btw....I have no history of mental or psychological illness nor was I under any influence of drugs.

I think you actually already said that, or at least alluded to it, but either way I would never say that it would be enough to label you insane. I can't evaluate your personal experience so it can't possibly be evidence for me (I know you know that already). What I would ask you to consider is which of these two options is really more likely:
a) the creator of the universe made himself clear to you in a way that nobody else can benefit from; if you subscribe to the belief that he wants his creation to know and love him then speaking only to isolated individuals is a strange way to go about achieving that; even if you don't it is a strange sort of game being played no matter what his end goal is. Calvinists can explain it but they've set up a capricious, sadistic god concept that could only be worshiped out of fear and I don't think that's what you believe from what you've said so far.
b) your brain "hiccuped" and created a (very) realistic illusion that had a profound effect on you. You've hinted at some personal tragedies (no details needed as they aren't pertinent) and we all use defense mechanisms to deal with things that hurt us. The classic 5 stages of grief shine a light on the process and it is easy to get stuck in denial or bargaining and the brain can weave a very strong web of defenses.

If you claimed to speak directly with a god every day and heard voices all the time then I'd suspect you were unbalanced. An unexplained incident most likely only means that you are human and doing your best to deal with life events. Playing armchair psychiatrist, I suspect you are faced with the choice of accepting that the universe is indifferent and the people you've lost are really gone or creating an illusion that there is a reason behind everything that happens and that it will all be made good. The latter is comforting and can appear to make life easier but I think it actually prevents you from living your life to the fullest.

All I'd ask is that you really consider whether it was something you can't deny or something you don't want to deny.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
14-12-2015, 09:31 AM
(04-08-2011 09:21 AM)digitali Wrote:  Do they know that if they succeed, it doesn't prove creationism anyway?Smile

I don't they are trying to disprove evolution as much as they are trying to equalize creationism. If they can state, and have it be accepted, that evolution is no more a reasonable idea than creationism then they have created a state of grace for their god beliefs.

As it stands, the public and the world pretty much accept that evolution is a fact and if that holds then that puts creationism in the myth box. By challenging the science behind evolution and even the scientific method itself, they are stating, "See, creationism is just as plausible as evolution and faith is just as reasonable an idea as science".

It isn't true but it's their stand and they're trying everything they can to shout science down.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
14-12-2015, 12:20 PM
(14-12-2015 08:22 AM)jason_delisle Wrote:  The main reason why I choose to believe is something that I almost regret to say. Lest I am labeled as insane. But I will very hesitantly say that God spoke to me in a way that I could not deny. I know you all may think it is insane which is why it took so much prodding to get it out. I know it will have absolutely no influence on anyone reading this forum but it is the truth.

Btw....I have no history of mental or psychological illness nor was I under any influence of drugs.

Hallucinations are not solely the province of the mad or the inebriated.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
14-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Jason,

How did you know that the god that spoke to you was the Christian God? Did it say so or did you already believe that was "the god"?
[+] 3 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
14-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Why is it that creationist are trying to disprove evolution
Jason, Fodder said part of what I was thinking. If afterlife is one of your major fears, wouldn't Hinduism or another religion with reincarnation make more sense?

The way I see it is that it's possible you're only Christian because you were raised in a Christian country. That's pretty much true for most religions, too.

And I get the part about hearing something. But I had a vision, and I still wanted to analyze it. I know we're two different people, though.

Now as for the usual theist idea that atheists harp on "something from nothing for no reason," I'm not sure why that's a problem. It just means you have conscious control over your purpose instead of a deity or deities telling you do what they say OR ELSE.
[+] 3 users Like Clockwork's post
14-12-2015, 03:47 PM

Hehe Smile Thanks for telling us. Even at risk of being labelled a nutter Tongue It is my personal belief that everyone except me is secretly fucking nuts. Not literally, but... y'know. There are few who have the courage to stand up and admit that they themselves are crazy.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-12-2015, 04:02 PM

God spoke to me many times when I was a believer, I spoke in tongues which provided me with evidence of His power.

Problem is, there are other, more reasonable explanations for such things.

I can still speak in tongues to this day......

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
14-12-2015, 04:48 PM
(14-12-2015 09:31 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(04-08-2011 09:21 AM)digitali Wrote:  Do they know that if they succeed, it doesn't prove creationism anyway?Smile

I don't they are trying to disprove evolution as much as they are trying to equalize creationism. If they can state, and have it be accepted, that evolution is no more a reasonable idea than creationism then they have created a state of grace for their god beliefs.

As it stands, the public and the world pretty much accept that evolution is a fact and if that holds then that puts creationism in the myth box. By challenging the science behind evolution and even the scientific method itself, they are stating, "See, creationism is just as plausible as evolution and faith is just as reasonable an idea as science".

It isn't true but it's their stand and they're trying everything they can to shout science down.
How dare you up and bring this thread back on the rails. You can't do that? AngryBig Grin
[+] 2 users Like jason_delisle's post
14-12-2015, 04:52 PM
(14-12-2015 09:31 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  

Good point. Consider

Quote:As it stands, the public and the world pretty much accept that evolution is a fact

Would that were true. Weeping

[Image: 960px-Views_on_Evolution.svg.png]

Quote:and if that holds then that puts creationism in the myth box.

Yes, but far too many people haven't spent much mental effort on it.

Quote:By challenging the science behind evolution and even the scientific method itself, they are stating, "See, creationism is just as plausible as evolution and faith is just as reasonable an idea as science".

Yes, they are trying to make a ridiculous claim respectable. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-12-2015, 05:14 PM
(14-12-2015 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-12-2015 09:31 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I don't they are trying to disprove evolution as much as they are trying to equalize creationism. If they can state, and have it be accepted, that evolution is no more a reasonable idea than creationism then they have created a state of grace for their god beliefs.

Good point. Consider

Quote:As it stands, the public and the world pretty much accept that evolution is a fact

Would that were true. Weeping

[Image: 960px-Views_on_Evolution.svg.png]

Quote:and if that holds then that puts creationism in the myth box.

Yes, but far too many people haven't spent much mental effort on it.

Quote:By challenging the science behind evolution and even the scientific method itself, they are stating, "See, creationism is just as plausible as evolution and faith is just as reasonable an idea as science".

Yes, they are trying to make a ridiculous claim respectable. Weeping

Yes, and it makes me cry too. Sadcryface2

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]