Why is it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2010, 11:14 AM

Why is it?
Hello all.

Born into a religious (Anglican) household, I've found my way to atheism through a process of attrition. As dogma and canon fell to the wayside in my journey I found I questioned more with each piece lost until I arrived here.

The question that started it all was this:

*Why is it that all the major religions began in a time of ignorance and superstition?*

Why is it that people follow establishments created over 2,000 years ago with such a fervor when much of what they taught was *obviously* made up to provide answers to questions they couldn't possibly answer with the knowledge they had (how, what, where, why...). How can otherwise sane people believe this planet is only 7,000 years old in the face of overwhelming evidence showing it is billions of years old?

(...looking for sane dialog.)

Regards
Doubting Thomas...
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2010, 02:17 PM
RE: Why is it?
Brain-washing (indoctrination), fear of the unknown, fear of death, fear of change, fear of letting go of their security blanket, peer pressure, fear of "not knowing," inability to reason sanely on certain subjects, the inability to wiegh evidence, the need for someone or something to worship, the need to be cared for (even if it is imaginary) are a few of the reasons to the questions you asked. As for sane dialog, if you don't find it here, it probably doesn't exist on this planet. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2010, 12:25 PM

(09-12-2010 02:17 PM)No J. Wrote:  Brain-washing (indoctrination), fear of the unknown, fear of death, fear of change, fear of letting go of their security blanket, peer pressure, fear of "not knowing," inability to reason sanely on certain subjects, the inability to wiegh evidence, the need for someone or something to worship, the need to be cared for (even if it is imaginary) are a few of the reasons to the questions you asked. As for sane dialog, if you don't find it here, it probably doesn't exist on this planet. Tongue

Yea - same conclusions I have come to. But the 'why' escapes me. The self-evident falsity of religious belief prevents me from ever turning to it for 'comfort'. How can I seek solace in ideas I know at my core are completely man made?
I'm glad I found this place. I'm looking forward to discussion of normally religious ideas without the dictates of dogma.
10-12-2010, 01:19 PM

My basic explanation is that people obviously bought that stuff for several hundred years simply because they were gullible/naive/lacked scientific knowledge. However, one the scientific revolution started, religion was maintained because it was introduced during childhood. As a child, you are evolutionarily programmed to believe whatever your parents tell you, up to a certain age. Things told to you during this age are normally carried as life-long beliefs if they are never discredited by your parents, which religion isn't.

So, despite the general progress of society carried out by individuals during their adult years, they hold onto religion because it is a concept introduced in their malleable youth.
10-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I think people need reinforcement to maintain their beliefs in an open society like the western world.In a theocracy it's easy to keep them in line.
But, in an open society people can question and doubt.
Notice how a lot of religious fundies home school their kids and then send them to Christian Colleges.If you take people out of the matrix they don't go back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply