Why is lust considered a bad thing by religions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Why is lust considered a bad thing by religions
When i think about it,if humans don't have strong sexual desires we would rarely procreate and that would probably make our species go extinct so how the hell is that desire which keeps our species alive a bad thing ?

I don't get it,if its necessary for us to be sexually attracted to each other then why is it considered a bad thing?

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
02-01-2014, 10:40 AM
RE: Why is lust considered a bad thing by religions
Some faiths consider all material things to be evil including ones own body. As such they would object to bringing more people into the material world. The albigensians were like this.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
02-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Not all religions. I think the notion that sex is bad or certain forms of it are evil is a product of the legacy of judaism in world religions. Yaweh had a huge obsession about sex, which is almost a sure way to determine that the writers of the Torah were sex crazed for the most part. You can definitely count circumcision as a by product of those notions.

If you look at other early religions grown around judaism, you'll notice a lot of sexuality incorporated into 'worship' and if you read your old testament you'll see how the jews "whored" after other gods. Yes it means what it says.

Fast forward to the greeks and the romans and you see a lot of temple cults that had prostitutes involved in the rituals of pagan deities but that all faded away after christianity became the official religion of the roman empire.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
02-01-2014, 10:45 AM
I guess alot of sexualy frustrated people considere it a bad thing as a pathetic defensive reaction to their frustration.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
02-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Not something I've thought of extensively in this light (it's a good question), but my first thought has to do with control. My main knowledge is specifically about the Bible and if we're looking at it from the point of view that it was written by men (not at all god-inspired), then I wonder if teaching people--men in particular--to deny their lustful urges, takes away some of the power that women could have to persuade, instead, directing that power of persuasion to the church?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like QueenTit's post
02-01-2014, 11:31 AM
(02-01-2014 11:06 AM)QueenTit Wrote:  Not something I've thought of extensively in this light (it's a good question), but my first thought has to do with control. My main knowledge is specifically about the Bible and if we're looking at it from the point of view that it was written by men (not at all god-inspired), then I wonder if teaching people--men in particular--to deny their lustful urges, takes away some of the power that women could have to persuade, instead, directing that power of persuasion to the church?

But but but, it's OK for men to rape. The Bible says so. Unsure

This was another pathetic effort to control the women.

Seems silly to me for men to write such rules of conduct for women, when they seem to want women to misbehave, yet punish them for doing so. Witness the idiot in India (IIRC) who raped his 5-year old daughter so she wouldn't be "tempted," then had to kill her because she wasn't a virgin. Seems counter-productive to me.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
02-01-2014, 11:35 AM
(02-01-2014 10:22 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  When i think about it,if humans don't have strong sexual desires we would rarely procreate and that would probably make our species go extinct so how the hell is that desire which keeps our species alive a bad thing ?

I don't get it,if its necessary for us to be sexually attracted to each other then why is it considered a bad thing?

think about back "in the day" when religion drove law, and culture, written by old men who couldn't find their penis with a map, and had long lost the desire to do so. then they look around at the young "sinners" with all of their lust...lets make it SIN!

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
02-01-2014, 11:44 AM
(02-01-2014 11:06 AM)QueenTit Wrote:  Not something I've thought of extensively in this light (it's a good question), but my first thought has to do with control. My main knowledge is specifically about the Bible and if we're looking at it from the point of view that it was written by men (not at all god-inspired), then I wonder if teaching people--men in particular--to deny their lustful urges, takes away some of the power that women could have to persuade, instead, directing that power of persuasion to the church?

I think it ties in with their virgin fetish. If women were going around getting laid before they got married, you'd be less likely to nab a virgin.

(02-01-2014 11:31 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  But but but, it's OK for men to rape. The Bible says so. Unsure

This was another pathetic effort to control the women.

Seems silly to me for men to write such rules of conduct for women, when they seem to want women to misbehave, yet punish them for doing so. Witness the idiot in India (IIRC) who raped his 5-year old daughter so she wouldn't be "tempted," then had to kill her because she wasn't a virgin. Seems counter-productive to me.

Actually, their rules on rape had to do with whether or not the virgin was betrothed. If she was betrothed, it was not okay to rape, and was punishable by death. If she wasn't betrothed, the "punishment" was to pay the father a fine and to marry the woman. The reason for that was because now that she wasn't a virgin, she was unmarriable.

Also, if the betrothed woman had consensual sex (or was raped in a city, which was the same thing by their standards, cuz she'd totally cry for help if she didn't want it), she would also be put to death. Probably because she made herself not-a-virgin and she was betrothed.

It's all a byproduct of their virgin fetish.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
02-01-2014, 12:02 PM
(02-01-2014 10:22 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  When i think about it,if humans don't have strong sexual desires we would rarely procreate and that would probably make our species go extinct so how the hell is that desire which keeps our species alive a bad thing ?

What gave you the idea that religions understand or care about what is beneficial for human species?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 4 users Like Slowminded's post
02-01-2014, 12:50 PM
(02-01-2014 10:22 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  I don't get it,if its necessary for us to be sexually attracted to each other then why is it considered a bad thing?
I assume it is brain washing 101.
Knock down a person's sense of self worth. Replace it with a dependency on the church. Own the person's thoughts, make their decisions for them, get them to give much money to the church. Get them to indoctorine their own children to the same church. Get the children to give much money to the church.

Wash and repeat.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post