LUST = Love U Short Time
--- D.L.J., quote from 2014.

Smartass

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-01-2014, 01:58 PM
RE: Why is lust considered a bad thing by religions
Well, it makes sense. People don't just want our species to live on, they want their genes to live on. So with sexuality and lust comes an instinct to control, posses, and make things happen in their way. Thus, religion and rules is born. Makes sense to me. Now that we have the awareness of this, these rules can go and we can individually choose who and how we want to live our lives based on our own moral perspectives and life views.
02-01-2014, 02:14 PM
IMO, lust is villified for 2 reasons, both relating to control.

1. (thinking back thousands of years) As a form of social control and population control. Setting up societal "rules" about what types of lust are accpetable (e.g. no sex until marriage) actually lessens the burden on society of dealing with single parents who cannot raise children using their own resources (it is much more likely that a married couple can support a child). I can also see "helping" to keep people out of poverty. I don't know what happened to people who got pregnant and could not afford to raise a child back when religions started imposing these rules. It probably wasn't good though! This "rule" probably saved lives.

2. As a form of personal control. I've heard this said many times. Essentially you are making somebody feel guilty for being human. To be human is to desire sex (usually). It is a natural desire. Some religions have taken over that part of humanity and labeled those desires as sinful. And of course who is the only one who can forgive you for these sins? That would be your church. It's another bit of the whole mind control trap. "How you feel is wrong, only we have the correct way." By making somebody feel guilty for being human, and then requiring that the church is the only place you can alleviate that guilt, is an excellent form of psychological abuse.

Bonus reason number 3. Woman shaming. Religions love to put women "in their place". Shame on any woman who has sexual desires!! This ties into reason number 2, but the guilt is probably usually more intense for women.

Just my thoughts.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
02-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Its something that seems to be common to most religions, that pleasurable things are evil.

I watched a bloke on Hardtalk the other day who was once something to do with the Anglican church... He said something about the Christian idea that sex is a problematic thing, as if God would rather we didn't have it, but can't stop us so created marriage to facilitate it.

Almost reducing marriage and relationships to the status of a toilet... that sex is just an inconvenient urge that needs to be dealt with. Just like human waste.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2014, 07:41 PM
I think the purpose is to create a larger pool of guilt ridden sinners over whom the religious leaders can have authority.

The more normal things you make wrong, the more people you can control.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
02-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Religions are very fallaciously pompous in their definition of purity. Sex is a desire that one must control, they must suppress their urges and in Islam, the religion I was brought up in and used to follow, calls this the fight of the soul. Of course, it's bullshit, and I'm glad I've liberated my mind from this old mythology. My mother, when giving me the birds and the bee's talk, said something along the lines of "Sex is like a cake, the longer you wait for it, the better it tastes". Of course, now reflecting, what she said doesn't make sense at all, and I'm saddened her mind is enslaved in this controlled religious "philosophy".

Religions say this about sex because sex is something with which we desire. And they think it strengthens "willpower" when you "control" yourself from these totally natural hormonal instincts. Once having sex in Islam, you must take a shower in which you ''cleanse'' your body because you're such a naughty person and you're so "dirty". I'm sure all religions are similar in this appalling worldview. Of course Freethinkers like most of us on the forums know it is perfectly healthy to indulge in sexual desire as it is natural, and there's no need to "cleanse" yourself in a spiritual fashion because we do not self-delude ourselves into thinking we are depraved, damned, severely flawed and doomed to damnation people.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
02-01-2014, 10:29 PM
(02-01-2014 07:41 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I think the purpose is to create a larger pool of guilt ridden sinners over whom the religious leaders can have authority.

The more normal things you make wrong, the more people you can control.

The thing with sex is, it works both ways... its easy to exploit people when sex is used as leverage. Its an impulse that isn't affected by much, it takes very severe conditions to completely kill sex drive.

Use it as an incentive or as a guilt inducer and you've got them under your thumb.

Its probably the most powerful tool religion has

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2014, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 10:56 PM by yakherder.)
In a pre civilization egalitarian society where property was absent and paternal certainty therefore not relevant, lust lead to reproduction and a child was raised by the entire group rather than a nuclear family.

With civilization and the necessity for defining things as belonging to someone, it was no longer practical to allow the group to take care of your needs, nor was it practical to invest scarce resources into taking care of someone else's needs. The need for paternal certainty was born, and with it a woman's reproductive capacity became one of those scarce resources to be owned and defended. In that respect, our hypersexual nature suddenly became obsolete. Monogamy was a relatively recent cultural construct, so recent that our base instincts still contradict it. Religions promoting monogamy, which is threatened by our lustful nature, thus allowed civilization to advance, leaving our primitive selves feeling horny and sexually frustrated all the time, but surviving and moving on nonetheless.

I highly suggest a book called "Sex at Dawn" for anyone genuinely interested in the topic of sexual evolution and how we ended up in a world in such contradiction with our hypersexual natures.

'Murican Canadian
03-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Because religious leaders want to hoard all the sex for themselves, picking whoever they want whenever they want while telling their followers the opposite. Once the leader dies the only rule that remains is "don't do that sex thing, it's reserved for the guy who died at the foundation of your religion".

e.g.
Joseph Smith
Mohamed

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
03-01-2014, 12:33 AM
(03-01-2014 12:19 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Because religious leaders want to hoard all the sex for themselves, picking whoever they want whenever they want while telling their followers the opposite. Once the leader dies the only rule that remains is "don't do that sex thing, it's reserved for the guy who died at the foundation of your religion".

e.g.
Joseph Smith
Mohamed

Agreed Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member