Why is lust considered a bad thing by religions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2014, 03:25 AM
RE: Why is lust considered a bad thing by religions
(02-01-2014 10:22 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  When i think about it,if humans don't have strong sexual desires we would rarely procreate and that would probably make our species go extinct so how the hell is that desire which keeps our species alive a bad thing ?

I don't get it,if its necessary for us to be sexually attracted to each other then why is it considered a bad thing?

Almost all organized religions have bee made for political reasons. Their main purpose was to spread a certain way of life and sustain a social system. Issues like paternity and taking care of children must have been problems back then so they declared lust as bad thing and created institutions like marriage.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 03:28 AM
(03-01-2014 03:25 AM)Menhit Wrote:  ...
Almost all organized religions have bee made for political reasons. Their main purpose was to spread a certain way of life and sustain a social system. Issues like paternity and taking care of children must have been problems back then so they declared lust as bad thing and created institutions like marriage.

"back then"?

Presumably you are not talking about the time period that went for official temple harlots.

Drinking Beverage

03-01-2014, 03:38 AM
(03-01-2014 03:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 03:25 AM)Menhit Wrote:  ...

"back then"?

Presumably you are not talking about the time period that went for official temple harlots.

Drinking Beverage

The custom of temple harlots was for justifying lust which otherwise could have been considered bad. It was like Coke being sold as Diet Coke.
03-01-2014, 04:26 AM
(03-01-2014 03:38 AM)Menhit Wrote:  ...
. It was like Coke being sold as Diet Coke.

Good. Because I like diet coke.... lustily.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-01-2014, 04:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 04:40 AM by EvolutionKills.)
My personal favorite Goddess of Passion, Sune.

[Image: Sune.jpg]

I love Todd Lockwood's art.

The Forgotten Realms Wiki on the dogma of Sune Wrote:Beauty is more than skin deep. It issues from the core of one's being and reveals one's true face to the world, fair or foul. Believe in romance, as true love will win over all. Follow your heart to your true destination. Love none more than yourself except Sune, and lose yourself in love of the Lady Firehair. Perform a loving act each day, and seek to awaken love in others. Respond to love at least once in a day. Encourage beauty wherever you find it. Acquire beautiful items of all sorts, and encourage, sponsor, and protect those who create them. Keep your own body as comely as possible and as attractively displayed as situations warrant. Let hairstyle and clothing best suit your personal appearance, striving to stir and delight others who look upon you. Moreover, hide not away, but always seek to present yourself to those around you in a pleasing variety of garbs and activities so as to move them with love and desire. Love those who respond to your appearance, and let warm friendship and admiration flower where love cannot or dares not

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
03-01-2014, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 05:07 AM by BlackMason.)
(02-01-2014 11:44 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 11:31 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  But but but, it's OK for men to rape. The Bible says so. Unsure

This was another pathetic effort to control the women.

Seems silly to me for men to write such rules of conduct for women, when they seem to want women to misbehave, yet punish them for doing so. Witness the idiot in India (IIRC) who raped his 5-year old daughter so she wouldn't be "tempted," then had to kill her because she wasn't a virgin. Seems counter-productive to me.

Actually, their rules on rape had to do with whether or not the virgin was betrothed. If she was betrothed, it was not okay to rape, and was punishable by death. If she wasn't betrothed, the "punishment" was to pay the father a fine and to marry the woman. The reason for that was because now that she wasn't a virgin, she was unmarriable.

Also, if the betrothed woman had consensual sex (or was raped in a city, which was the same thing by their standards, cuz she'd totally cry for help if she didn't want it), she would also be put to death. Probably because she made herself not-a-virgin and she was betrothed.

It's all a byproduct of their virgin fetish.

Exactly. I got a friend that's a "not your typical christian". He believes that the real jews were black. He don't celebrate birthdays or any holidays. He celebrates the lord's holy days! He and his particular band of confirmation bias patrons disagreed with me about that Deuteronomy 22:25-28. They were saying it's not rape for the unbetrothed woman in verse 28...I guess consistency was over looked.

The woman that is betrothed (engaged) is treated as if she is already married. Adultry is punishable by death. That's why they both die when she don't cry out. The woman in verse 28 is not betrothed. So she's open game. Women were the property of their fathers back then. So the 50 shackles were to pay the father his bride price since he'd never be able to cash in again. His daughter's virginity is gone.

I do disagree with the virgin fetish comment though. Women were property with a value assigned to their virtue. So pussy time couldn't start before the engagement. If you ask me I think it sort of makes sense. You don't wanna have hastles with a wife that's got a child from a previous bedding session if you don't have one yourself.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post
03-01-2014, 08:13 AM
(03-01-2014 05:00 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  The woman that is betrothed (engaged) is treated as if she is already married. Adultry is punishable by death. That's why they both die when she don't cry out. The woman in verse 28 is not betrothed. So she's open game. Women were the property of their fathers back then. So the 50 shackles were to pay the father his bride price since he'd never be able to cash in again. His daughter's virginity is gone.

Yeah, the take-home message I got from that rule was that the real victim there was the father, not the daughter. The whole system was to obviously set things right by him and not her.

(03-01-2014 05:00 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  I do disagree with the virgin fetish comment though. Women were property with a value assigned to their virtue. So pussy time couldn't start before the engagement. If you ask me I think it sort of makes sense. You don't wanna have hastles with a wife that's got a child from a previous bedding session if you don't have one yourself.

Yeah, but what you just said in the paragraph before points to the fact that they considered virgins unmarriable. I think the virgin fetish plays a very big part in those rules. You might be pointing to a results-based reason for that fetish, but they explicitly call out these rules only to apply to virgins.

So far as I can tell, the OT doesn't actually spell out rules for willing fornication between a man and a woman who is not betrothed or married. Am I wrong on this? All I can think about is the anti-adultery and anti-virgin-rape rules.
03-01-2014, 11:25 AM
(02-01-2014 10:22 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  When i think about it,if humans don't have strong sexual desires we would rarely procreate and that would probably make our species go extinct so how the hell is that desire which keeps our species alive a bad thing ?

I don't get it,if its necessary for us to be sexually attracted to each other then why is it considered a bad thing?
I dunno. It's probably related to Catholic priests giving lust a bad name.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
03-01-2014, 03:32 PM

To be sexually attracted is not a bad thing. But sexual relationship outside the marriage is against God's law.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
03-01-2014, 03:34 PM
(03-01-2014 03:32 PM)Alla Wrote:  

To be sexually attracted is not a bad thing. But sexual relationship outside the marriage is against God's law.

Who is god? Can you please define what you mean by that?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense