Why is over-population so popular?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2010, 12:09 AM

Why is over-population so popular?
I just found out that my favorite cousin, a smart, thoughtful, well-educated woman is pregnant with her 5th child. Out loud I said, "Congratulations!" while reminding myself that we all have the right to pursue our own happiness, but on the inside I just couldn't help wondering what the hell she's thinking.

We spent some of the summer with her family, and trust me, this will be about 3 kids more than are practically enjoyable. Smile She's also joined the homeschooling movement, the attachment parenting thing that's so popular right now, and from what I can tell, doesn't plan to stop at 5.

Perhaps she genuinely enjoys mothering and that's just her "thing." But do people really not think about the fact that they're affecting the futures of other people's children? Why not adopt if being a mom brings you such joy?

P.S. No smart ass comments about why the mechanics of over-population are so appealing. Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2010, 12:32 AM

RE: Why is over-population so popular?
You know, I've been wondering the same thing myself! Specially after I heard about the show about the family with 18 kids. I've only briefly watched an episode, but they seemed to be a very religious family and I just find it very unsettling. With every child you add to a big family, you decrease their quality of life and their chances of getting a higher education.

I know some Christians don't believe in birth control, so over-population is out of their control. But another part of me thinks that maybe they're building little armies? Tongue
19-12-2010, 12:52 AM
(19-12-2010 12:32 AM)mBear Wrote:  I know some Christians don't believe in birth control, so over-population is out of their control. But another part of me thinks that maybe they're building little armies? Tongue

That might seam like o joke to you, but that is exactly what the Christian majority of my country is accusing the Muslim immigrant minority of doing.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2010, 08:29 AM
By 2050 at our current rate , it is estimated that we will reach our population cap as far as resources go.
FFS , we have 1 billion people starving as is , and our planet is horribly polluted.
Have a family and be happy but take into account the reality of the situation.

People don't think , they believe.
And in third world countries they have extra kids , because they have no access to medicine and some might die - they have kids just like you have spare tires.

Overpopulation is a valid concern.
19-12-2010, 08:46 AM
I think at some point mother nature is going to strike back at us, and it's going to be ugly. For centuries human population was controlled by war, by disease, and by our inability to really harness resources. Wars are now less frequent (although the ones we have tend to be far more destructive to civilian populations) and we've managed to wipe out a lot of the viruses that used to plague us and kill off the infections that the so frequently cut life short. The reason Catholics at least don't believe in birth control is for the historical reasons of how many children did not last past the first year of life.

We've now got a situation with massive over population, over crowding, and many the diseases and bacteria we thought we've defeated developing resistance to our vaccines and antibiotics.

At some point these diseases will get the best of us or the scarcity of resources, most notably clean drinking water, will lead to all out wars in parts of the world - or some combination of all of that, and you will probably see at least some temporary scale down of human populations.

Hopefully, this will be after not only my passing but the passing of my two sons as well because that is really not the legacy I wish to leave them.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
19-12-2010, 06:33 PM

By 2050, the world's population will peak at 9 billion. The consequences will be disastrous of course, and coupled with climate change and water shortages we will see social unrest on an unprecedented scale. Of course, the policy makers who refuse to act on climate change don't care, because as Congressman Shimkus put it "The planet won't be destroyed by global warming because God promised Noah"

However, interestingly, anecdotal accounts aside, the global fertility rate is projected to fall below replacement rates, and after the peak at 9 billion, the population will actually begin to decline until it is below modern day levels around 2150 or something. All this assumes certain growth rates and fertility rates. It is hard to predict these things. In fact, depending on the growth model you choose, the population in 2300 could be 3 billion or 30 billion. I'm sure before we top 10 billion some war will wipe out a couple billion, or other population checks. Humans often assume themselves to be above nature, but we are still constrained by her carrying capacity.

http://www.un.org/esa/population/publica...0final.pdf

Page 179-180
19-12-2010, 07:19 PM
And, of course, the more rational people who opt out of having a dozen kids don't pass on their genes nearly as much simply by the nature of it all. Sadly, evolution is working against us here...

Getting into the more series, depressing stuff, we all know a population cannot infinitely expand. We will hit a point when our natural resources will simply not be enough to sustain us all. The question is how gracefully we will be when we hit that cap. Of course, ideally we won't hit it at all, but if we do it won't be pretty. As TruthAddict has pointed out, lackage of basic needs coupled with climate change due to the growing population will lead to civil unrest. I also predict that mass hoarding would be mixed in there too, on an individual scale but likely also on a national scale too. It'd just be a lot better if we didn't hit out population limit.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
20-12-2010, 12:13 AM
(19-12-2010 07:19 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  And, of course, the more rational people who opt out of having a dozen kids don't pass on their genes nearly as much simply by the nature of it all. Sadly, evolution is working against us here...

Not necessarily. Or at least not working against us on all fronts. In a environment with food shortage the genes for being smaller then the average will be favored. when we evolve in to become smaller, we can increase in numbers.

In the future, everybody is Asian. Tongue

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
20-12-2010, 01:51 AM
To bad that rapture idea is just a myth. We could get rid of christianity and over-population in one fell swoop. Tongue
20-12-2010, 04:24 AM
(20-12-2010 12:13 AM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  In the future, everybody is Asian. Tongue

To be honest people of mixed ethnicity are healthier genetically.Also Caucasians are more prone to dementia, so those with my skin color will go the way of the dodo-bird.

(20-12-2010 01:51 AM)No J. Wrote:  To bad that rapture idea is just a myth. We could get rid of christianity and over-population in one fell swoop. Tongue

YES ! Oh please , yes , I want the rapture now.