Why is something not being normal make it become wrong?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Why is something not being normal make it become wrong?
three scenarios
1. punching or kicking a baby becomes the in thing to do 85% percent of people agree and it's common practice. they say it toughens them when asked about this.

2. 90% percent of America just decides to sleep with a gun in there mouth. it helps them become uncontentious.

3, two same sex people kissing 90% of people disagree with them doing so and try to break them up and call the police for indecent exposure.

so with these scenarios why are the first two scenarios right or wrong and the third scenario just wrong.... I ask because someone answering a yahoo answers question told me "I was morally wrong because what I was doing was abnormal.... so the first two scenarios are posed as normal and the third as abnormal... so why is normal a standard of morality.

what are your thought on his subject?

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2013, 07:07 PM
RE: Why is something not being normal make it become wrong?
First for a joke. Normal is a dryer setting.

Now, to be more serious. Many things are not normal, things which theists still accept because those things make their lives better and easier.

Theists simply enjoy throwing around the word abnormal in relation to homosexuality because they are ignorant.
[+] 3 users Like Foxen's post
23-12-2013, 07:11 PM
(23-12-2013 07:04 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  .. so why is normal a standard of morality.

what are your thought on his subject?

It isn't. Whoever told you that is a moron. Group mentality (accepting things just because they're "normal" or everyone is doing it) can be seriously dangerous.

Also, on a side note, what you're doing is not abnormal. When two young people are in a relationship a little PDA is completely normal, especially kissing!
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
23-12-2013, 07:36 PM
I would say, while a lot of people doing something makes it "normal" behavior, that doesn't necessarily mean it's right. That is why it's always important to challenge the idea of normal behavior, and examine whether or not it is actually healthy behavior.
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
24-12-2013, 03:01 AM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2013 05:37 AM by Chippy.)
(23-12-2013 07:04 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  1. punching or kicking a baby becomes the in thing to do 85% percent of people agree and it's common practice. they say it toughens them when asked about this.

Where do 85% of people agree that "punching or kicking a baby" is "normal"? In the USA? Really? Do you have a survey you could refer me to?

Quote:2. 90% percent of America just decides to sleep with a gun in there mouth. it helps them become uncontentious.

I don't understand what this means--literally or figuratively.

Where do these percentages come from?

Quote:3, two same sex people kissing 90% of people disagree with them doing so and try to break them up and call the police for indecent exposure.

Really? And 90%. That seems unlikely given that about 5-10% of the population identifies as homosexual. So every straight person is offended by the sight of same sex kissing? That seems unlikely except perhaps in some backwater part of the USA.

Quote:so with these scenarios why are the first two scenarios right or wrong and the third scenario just wrong.... I ask because someone answering a yahoo answers question told me "I was morally wrong because what I was doing was abnormal.... so the first two scenarios are posed as normal and the third as abnormal... so why is normal a standard of morality.

Abnormal does not equate with morally wrong not even by the standards of religious morality. The word abnormal means "not according to the norm, not according to what is typical". Putting tomato sauce or ketchup on a chocolate chip biscuit/cookie is abnormal, it is not something that most people do but it is morally neutral, it is amoral, it has no moral significance (on most accounts of morality).

Same-sex kissing in public is also abnormal, i.e. not something that most people do because most people are heterosexual. Homosexuality itself is abnormal, i.e. it is a minority sexual orientation. Merely because something is abnormal it doesn't "automagically" become morally wrong. Being able to jump over a six foot obstacle is abnormal but it isn't morally wrong. Being able to catch flying arrows is abnormal but not morally wrong. Haemophilia B is abnormal but it isn't morally wrong. Being able to hold your breath for 5 minutes is abnormal but not morally wrong.

Religious people that oppose homosexuality don't do so because homosexuality is abnormal--there are many abnormal things that they don't care about. They oppose it because their scripture tells them to oppose it. If the abnormal is necessarily morally wrong then many of the practices of minority religions would also become morally wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-12-2013, 04:13 AM
Hey, kunoxian,

Have you installed a spell-checker?

I'm pleasantly surprised by your new-found coherence.

Regarding the OP? ... what Chippy said.

24-12-2013, 07:41 AM
The OP is assuming these things are normal for argument's sake.... jeesh!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
24-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Your first two examples are ridiculous. But the essence of your question (IMO) has to do with group think, aversion to change, and fear of the unknown.

People not only fear change, but they like to claim moral superiority. People form groups, and demonize the qualities of the other groups mostly because they are different. Both groups probably think they are more moral than the other group (regarding their differences). Anyways, maybe that didn't make sense. I just woke up....

Merry Christmas!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
24-12-2013, 11:19 AM
(24-12-2013 07:41 AM)Dom Wrote:  The OP is assuming these things are normal for argument's sake.... jeesh!

No kidding! I believe they were hypothetical... Thought it was obvious lol
26-12-2013, 12:05 PM
It becomes abnormal (socially) when the majority of people believe that it is abnormal, or when a majority do not share a particular feature.

Usually, something that is not 'normal' is considered wrong, mainly because fear comes with what you do not understand, thus abnormal behavior is not understandable to many; fear causing.

By no means is an abnormal action immoral, however.

Homosexuality can be regarded as abnormal, mainly because the majority of people (normality exists within majority in most regards) are not, themselves, homosexual.

Once again, this "abnormal" (in the loosest sense of the word) behavior is by no means immoral, because immorality is only present when one party is being harmed, and I've never been harmed by seeing two of the same sex show affection towards one another, it actually makes me feel quite good for the human race.