Why is the Christian God good?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2017, 02:44 PM
Why is the Christian God good?
Sorry if my logic is hard to follow or understand, and I might just be a complete idiot for asking this, but why is the Christian God good? When we look at the universe as a whole, nothing is inherently 'good' or 'evil'. So, if the universe was created with without having good or evil in mind, why would God be different? In fact, why would God even go out of his way to create life when he knows that it will just bring suffering and pain and misery, like the fear of death? It sounds a lot to me like humans gained morality through learning that there are consequences to their actions, and finding that being good to other people is better than being bad, so that's what they decided their God to be. Or maybe God was just lonely so he decided to make a universe in which there are animals that worship him.

in addition, here's my favourite quotation:
"Man in his arrogance thinks himself a great work worthy of the interposition of a deity" - Speech 'Man in his arrogance' By Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like BluePixels's post
30-06-2017, 03:11 PM
RE: Why is the Christian God good?
Because in this day and age, society has, thankfully, evolved enough that it doesn't want to worship an "evil god" anymore (the ancients had no such problem). Thus, our gods have evolved with us.

I quite like this video on the topic of a good god.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
30-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Why is christian god "good*"? Cause bad one wouldn't be so easy to sell.

*Going by biblical description one have to be indoctrinated to think that this monstrosity is good.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
30-06-2017, 03:20 PM
(30-06-2017 03:11 PM)Vera Wrote:  Because in this day and age, society has, thankfully, evolved enough that it doesn't want to worship an "evil god" anymore (the ancients had no such problem). Thus, our gods have evolved with us.

I quite like this video on the topic of a good god.

Agreed,

and.... some civilizations did in fact worship openly evil gods. Or had good and evil gods with some people choosing to worship the openly evil gods. Also chaotic gods like Dionysus (knowing myself this would have been my choice in the ancient world, if my personality were reasonably similar to present me)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
30-06-2017, 03:34 PM
(30-06-2017 02:44 PM)BluePixels Wrote:  Sorry if my logic is hard to follow or understand, and I might just be a complete idiot for asking this, but why is the Christian God good?

Unsure Why do you think the Christian god is good? I don't know how anyone could read the Christian Bible (especially the Old Testament, but the new one too) and believe that the deity described there is "good" at all. In fact, he resembles most of the other deities of the same era- arrogant, capricious, demanding, jealous of other gods, emotionally immature, and quick to zap anyone who annoyed him. In fact, if you gave him a bad comb-over, an irritating voice, and a Twitter account ...

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
30-06-2017, 03:41 PM
(30-06-2017 03:34 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(30-06-2017 02:44 PM)BluePixels Wrote:  Sorry if my logic is hard to follow or understand, and I might just be a complete idiot for asking this, but why is the Christian God good?

Unsure Why do you think the Christian god is good? I don't know how anyone could read the Christian Bible (especially the Old Testament, but the new one too) and believe that the deity described there is "good" at all. In fact, he resembles most of the other deities of the same era- arrogant, capricious, demanding, jealous of other gods, emotionally immature, and quick to zap anyone who annoyed him. In fact, if you gave him a bad comb-over, an irritating voice, and a Twitter account ...

To be fair to Blue I don't think they think god is "good" If I read the OP correctly they are specifically asking why christians assume their god is "good"

however lets remember that Christianity prolly makes up like 10% of total religious adherence throughout history, and is one of the newer/newest religions out there. The standards set by Christianity are not really representative of the majority of gods that have been invented.

(and yea I pulled that number straight out of my ass, however the point is to demonstrate how Christianity is not the standard by which we should be judging religion I think, despite it's dominant representation through more recent history)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
30-06-2017, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2017 04:18 PM by Rockblossom.)
(30-06-2017 03:41 PM)JesseB Wrote:  To be fair to Blue I don't think they think god is "good" If I read the OP correctly they are specifically asking why christians assume their god is "good"
That's one of many things I've never understood about Christians. Many of them have never actually read their own Holy Book, or have only read the parts pointed out to them by someone in a pulpit on Sunday morning. But I know a lot of Christians who are well educated and have said (and I have no reason not to believe them) that they have read the Bible through from beginning to end many times. And they still insist that their god is absolutely good. I have no answer for that, unless they have an unusually high tolerance for cognitive dissonance, or are reading a completely different Bible from the ones I have read.

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 5 users Like Rockblossom's post
30-06-2017, 04:13 PM
(30-06-2017 03:41 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(30-06-2017 03:34 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  Unsure Why do you think the Christian god is good? I don't know how anyone could read the Christian Bible (especially the Old Testament, but the new one too) and believe that the deity described there is "good" at all. In fact, he resembles most of the other deities of the same era- arrogant, capricious, demanding, jealous of other gods, emotionally immature, and quick to zap anyone who annoyed him. In fact, if you gave him a bad comb-over, an irritating voice, and a Twitter account ...

To be fair to Blue I don't think they think god is "good" If I read the OP correctly they are specifically asking why christians assume their god is "good"

however lets remember that Christianity prolly makes up like 10% of total religious adherence throughout history, and is one of the newer/newest religions out there. The standards set by Christianity are not really representative of the majority of gods that have been invented.

(and yea I pulled that number straight out of my ass, however the point is to demonstrate how Christianity is not the standard by which we should be judging religion I think, despite it's dominant representation through more recent history)

Thanks, I was only asking this question on the basis of what Christians believe, I'm very aware that if you actually looked that the bible you could see that God is hard to call 'good'.
Also a good point, Christianity isn't the only religion out there but it was easier for me to ask this question with the Christian God since this God is more based on goodness than, say, other Gods, and my question was about why any God should be good.
30-06-2017, 04:18 PM
(30-06-2017 02:44 PM)BluePixels Wrote:  Sorry if my logic is hard to follow or understand, and I might just be a complete idiot for asking this, but why is the Christian God good? When we look at the universe as a whole, nothing is inherently 'good' or 'evil'. So, if the universe was created with without having good or evil in mind, why would God be different? In fact, why would God even go out of his way to create life when he knows that it will just bring suffering and pain and misery, like the fear of death? It sounds a lot to me like humans gained morality through learning that there are consequences to their actions, and finding that being good to other people is better than being bad, so that's what they decided their God to be. Or maybe God was just lonely so he decided to make a universe in which there are animals that worship him.

in addition, here's my favourite quotation:
"Man in his arrogance thinks himself a great work worthy of the interposition of a deity" - Speech 'Man in his arrogance' By Carl Sagan

An alleged god could create sentient consciousness without suffering as an inherent part of the design. There is no excuse or apologetic that is plausible when a human can think of a better design than this alleged god.

Life in accordance to post-hoc design limitations has no need of an intelligent designer.

There is also no need for an allegedly "perfect" god to create something external to it's perfect self.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
30-06-2017, 07:55 PM
For one; because might makes right. Not a sentiment I share,t but some Christians have pointed out that their god made everything, therefore he has the right to do anything he wants to his property.
The fact we can't see the benevolence in the plagues and demands of suicidal obedience doesn't mean god is evil; it merely means we're so inferior we don't know what is best for us.

Secondly, no one actually worships "god". People worship their own ideas of "god". An idea which always oh-so-coincidentally lays down laws that line up with the worshippers' own morals. Morals which the worshipper him/her-self defines as good.
Ergo, "god" is always good.

A third excuse is the test process.
Christians believe "god" tests us - like Job - with pain, loss and suffering to make sure we're worthy of the rewards in the afterlife.
So if you've lost loved ones, cheer up! It's not done out of malice. Its' just a test!

Fourth excuse could be Satan. As most of us probably know, he's a construct of secular fiction like Dante and Paradise Lost.
This unholy incarnation of evil is waging war on "god" over our souls, 'cause we're that important. "God" is terrible, yet made to look good compared to the adversary.

Makes sense?

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 4 users Like M. Linoge's post