Why is the Christian God good?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2017, 04:57 AM
RE: Why is the Christian God good?
(06-07-2017 08:10 PM)Alla Wrote:  
mordant Wrote:All of that because, according to Alla, a god-ordained "test" of childhood torture that they failed to learn from apparently -- thus becoming the instrument of more "tests" for several more families. God knows best. Glory be.
This life is an opportunity to learn to be good by doing good. We are all given this opportunity.
We come here then we make choices. Some of us make very evil choices.
It was not test from God. God didn't tell those ex cons to kill those families.
I didn't suggest that god told them to kill. But their childhood suffering was a "test" or "opportunity" by your lights, was it not? One that they failed. Which produced "tests" for hundreds of other people over time. It's all good, isn't it? Everyone got the opportunity to become more god-like.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
07-07-2017, 05:05 AM
(06-07-2017 08:33 PM)Alla Wrote:  
mordant Wrote:Suffering is a test or lesson for the benefit of the sufferer and/or or their loved ones.
Not always. Sometimes it is for the reason to test someone.
It's not always a test; sometimes it is a test. Makes sense.
(06-07-2017 08:33 PM)Alla Wrote:  But the main reason is to become like Gods who KNOW good and EVIL.
Without experiencing pain you can not know what it is. You can not be like Gods.
Without having an opposition - evil - we can not to learn how to fight it. Gods have to know how to fight evil. They MUST know how to do this.
Humans have such a progress in fighting all kind of evil. We are learning. We are progressing. Nobody is doing this for us. We should be proud of ourselves.
I am sufficiently acquainted with opposition/evil and with fighting it, thank you very much. I passed that stage a long time ago.

When you experience pain, you know what it is. You don't need to experience more. It's something most of us learn as an infant. Pain: bad. Pleasure: good. Very basic lesson. It is not adequate subject matter for a lifetime. It's already built into our DNA. The notion that gods alone understand pain and the need to counter it is nonsense. All sentient beings know this.

I understand of course that your wider point is that we are supposedly here to learn how to vanquish evil so we can become gods. Problem is, the gods clearly haven't vanquished it and have now run from their responsibility by turning over their vanquishing to us.

If this is what godhood is, you can have it.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
07-07-2017, 06:36 AM
(06-07-2017 08:24 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Robvalue Wrote:Kid is born with an incurable horrible disease; kid dies in agony. What exactly did the kid learn? What was the point of that?

He learns what pain and suffering is. He learns what it means to have a family - loving mother and father. He learns what death is. He may learn more things.

You can only learn what death is from other people's deaths, not your own because you are dead. You have ceased to be. You are no more. You are an ex-human being.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 5 users Like Norm Deplume's post
07-07-2017, 06:41 AM
(05-07-2017 06:34 PM)Alla Wrote:  Sometimes we suffer because of choices other people make. Sometimes we suffer because it is nobody's fault.
Sometimes we suffer because of our own choices
The point is to fight and to overcome evil no matter who or what causes it.

Since you have repeatedly asked what good and evil are, and what is moral or immoral in this thread, how can you know that you are fighting to overcome evil rather than adding to it?

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 3 users Like Norm Deplume's post
07-07-2017, 07:03 AM
(07-07-2017 06:36 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 08:24 PM)Alla Wrote:  He learns what pain and suffering is. He learns what it means to have a family - loving mother and father. He learns what death is. He may learn more things.

You can only learn what death is from other people's deaths, not your own because you are dead. You have ceased to be. You are no more. You are an ex-human being.

[Image: 3744469.jpg]

Alla: "No, its resting in heaven"

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
07-07-2017, 08:33 AM
"Grant them eternal *rest* O Lord" Facepalm

How much fucking *rest* can one person take ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-07-2017, 09:22 AM
(07-07-2017 08:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Grant them eternal *rest* O Lord" Facepalm

How much fucking *rest* can one person take ?
The notion is that you never have to struggle / work / shed a tear about anything, which is the whole point of getting out of this veil of tears, this joyless trudge through the wilderness that is not your "real" home, which you pine for. From their point of view.

It's just another way to cast yourself in the starring role of your own epic saga. Enduring to the end, where you are rewarded for all your sacrifice.

I can tell you, there's nothing more joyless than non-charismatic fundamentalists. When members of my old alma mater get together for reunions, according to the mailings I still get, they talk about their hard work for the Lord, their physical ailments, their nostalgia for their lost youth, the difficulties of their journey through life, and their hope of finally being happy and at peace in the next life.

Of course the pentecostals / charismatics are in a sense even more joyless because of their need to have that forced joy and triumphalism all the time, to not just suffer in this life but to ENJOY it.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
07-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Alla: Well, your version of God still sounds like a massive dick to me. I appreciate you trying to explain it, but the more detail is added, the worse it sounds. I wouldn't want anything to do with it.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
07-07-2017, 12:08 PM
(30-06-2017 02:44 PM)BluePixels Wrote:  Sorry if my logic is hard to follow or understand, and I might just be a complete idiot for asking this, but why is the Christian God good?

It's axiomatic. I mean, if you're not a math dude, it's axiomatic may mean shit to you, but to me and others, it's an offering that cannot be made. To be "axiomatic" and complex."

That's pretty much the end of the argument. You know what is axiomatic?

I love my Gwynnies!

You know why?

You ain't got enough time. XP

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
08-07-2017, 10:09 AM
mordant Wrote:I didn't suggest that god told them to kill. But their childhood suffering was a "test" or "opportunity" by your lights, was it not? One that they failed. Which produced "tests" for hundreds of other people over time. It's all good, isn't it? Everyone got the opportunity to become more god-like.

This is not what I believe.
In this life God tests only those who have knowledge and understanding of God's TRUE NATURE and who make COVENANTS with Him. Those people who have this knowledge and make covenants with God AGREED to be tested and they learn from those tests things they suppose to learn.
The rest of the world can not be tested. It would be ridiculous to test someone who have no idea he or she is tested.
Those who do not make covenants with true God are their own agents. But they still have plenty of opportunities to learn and to grow. They will have their rewards for all good they do. They will be accountable for all evil they do. BUT ONLY IF they understand that what they do is either evil or good.

In this world it is a privilege to know true nature of God and to make covenants with Him, it is not a right. But ALL people are given light of Christ. This is how we call "conscience" or "ability to know the difference between good and evil". So, ALL of us have this ability and ALL of us have opportunities to choose between good and evil. We ALL have opportunities to grow.
When Gospel claims "ALL" it includes only all those who didn't die as infants or young children, or who are not people with brain damage. Those don't even need to be baptized. They are free of sins, they are pure and clean(spiritually).

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED