Why is the Christian God good?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2017, 07:53 AM
RE: Why is the Christian God good?
Gwaithmir Wrote:> Wrong! Adam & Eve had no knowledge of right and wrong; ergo, they were not perfect.
They were perfect because they were created sinless. According to the Gospel of Christ to be perfect means to be sinless. When you came to this world as an infant you were perfect because you were born without sin/sins. You don't need to have knowledge of good and evil or right and wrong to be perfect/without a sin.

Gwaithmir Wrote:> Wrong! My parents decided I would be born here; etc.
No, they didn't. They decided that you would have a child(another human being) if that pregnancy was planned. They created physical body. But according to the Gospel of Christ you(who is male spirit) was sent by God to that physical body. If your parents created physical body with female parts God wouldn't send you to them but He would send female spirit who is one of His many, many daughters. Or God could choose another male spirit(His son) instead of you.

Gwaithmir Wrote:It was only AFTER they'd eaten the forbidden fruit did they become aware. And they had to be lured into the deed by the Devil, something God was responsible for by criminal negligence.
God is responsible for creating conditions that Adam and Eve would have an opportunity to become fallen. If they didn't eat that fruit God's plan would fail. God would allow His plan to fail. But He knew Adam and Eve very well so He knew with great accuracy that they will partake of the fruit. God set up everything the way that it would be very hard for them not to make that choice, not to partake the fruit.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2017, 07:57 AM
Alla, what happened to you? You used to be fairly on the ball, and you seem to have gone really down hill back into theism all of a sudden.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
04-07-2017, 08:03 AM
Plan 9 from OS, could you, please, answer these questions:
1) what is good/evil?
2)according to whom? who on planet Earth decides what good/evil is?
3) is it good or evil to kill someone?
4) is it good or evil to lie?

Plan 9 from OS Wrote:When you have a being who is outside of space/time
I don't believe that there is such thing as a being who is outside of space/time. God of Old and New Testaments never made this claim about Himself. He is part of space and He lives in time. According to the prophet God's time reckoning is different than here on Earth. What for us 1000 years is for God it is one day. Most likely it is not exactly the truth but the prophet was making a point - day on God's planet is not the same as here on Earth.

Plan 9 from OS Wrote:and was the creator of all, then said being makes the rules
God of Old and New Testaments never made a claim that He is the Creator of all and He didn't claim that He makes absolutely all rules.

04-07-2017, 08:06 AM
(04-07-2017 07:57 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Alla, what happened to you? You used to be fairly on the ball, and you seem to have gone really down hill back into theism all of a sudden.

I just respond to the arguments according to my belief.

04-07-2017, 08:13 AM
(04-07-2017 08:06 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 07:57 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Alla, what happened to you? You used to be fairly on the ball, and you seem to have gone really down hill back into theism all of a sudden.

I just respond to the arguments according to my belief.

I get it, and if that's what you believe then good for you. I will say that previously, as a person, you seemed to "get it" a bit more in terms of what is legitimate and what it clearly total BS that is in the bible, and for some reason you've , recently, gone way down hill and just reverted back to "this is what my religion says, so it must be true".

i'm all for people practicing whatever makes them happy, but I'm also against people just being outright dense in terms of fictional stuff.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
04-07-2017, 08:17 AM
SYZ Wrote:An obvious example of "good" would be your omnipotent god (it) stepping in to provide food, drinking water, and medications to the estimated 3,000,000 sub-four year old children that die each and every year in Africa.
So, you are the one on the planet Earth who decides what good is?
why is it good according to you?

P.S. I am not rejecting what you say I just want you to explain to me, please, why your "good" is good?

SYZ Wrote:And as far as defining "good" Alla, your god should already have shown you what it means by example. If you need me—an atheist—to tell you what "good" is, then all is lost.
I am not asking what good is because I decided to follow your or someone else's moral standard, I am asking what good is because I want to know why some say that God of OT and NT is not good. How do they know that what God does is good or not good?

04-07-2017, 08:23 AM
(04-07-2017 08:03 AM)Alla Wrote:  1) what is good/evil?
2)according to whom? who on planet Earth decides what good/evil is?
3) is it good or evil to kill someone?
4) is it good or evil to lie?

1) The literal definitions, no need to ponder any further:
Good = that which is morally right; righteousness.
Evil = profound immorality and wickedness, especially when regarded as a supernatural force
2) Humans do.
3) It's just WRONG, on so many levels.
4) Neither. Not everything can be condensed into just "Good" or "Bad", some things are very individual to their cases. And yet that still does not give ANY input on why it's good to kill anybody, ever.

04-07-2017, 08:23 AM
(04-07-2017 08:17 AM)Alla Wrote:  I am not asking what good is because I decided to follow your or someone else's moral standard, I am asking what good is because I want to know why some say that God of OT and NT is not good. How do they know that what God does is good or not good?
It is a fair question, to a point ... although really just a variant of "who are you to judge god" which implies "everything that god does is good by definition, at least in context".

That of course is self referential nonsense.

Good is that which is beneficial and bad is that which is not. This is inherently subjective but humans have been negotiating their coexistence for millennia now and have hammered out a pretty good system of corporately judging good and bad which is known as "morality".

To the extent that god does things that a mere human would not let another mere human get away with, god is immoral, by definition. That is why theists generally deploy boatloads of special pleading for god. One believer even told me that god alone can practice situational ethics, because god alone knows all the outcomes and knock-on effects of his actions, and therefore can, and often does, do evil that good may come of it. His position seems to be the ultimate outcome of special moral pleading on god's behalf. God is unconstrained by morality, according to him.

Is not a being who feels unconstrained and un-obligated by morality, by definition immoral?
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
04-07-2017, 08:25 AM
OakTree500 Wrote:i'm all for people practicing whatever makes them happy, but I'm also against people just being outright dense in terms of fictional stuff.
It is cool with me. You should have the privilege to be against this.

I see some questions and arguments about God and if I like those questions/arguments I respond according to my belief.
"It's for fun" as Nacho Libre said.

04-07-2017, 08:30 AM
(04-07-2017 08:25 AM)Alla Wrote:  
OakTree500 Wrote:i'm all for people practicing whatever makes them happy, but I'm also against people just being outright dense in terms of fictional stuff.
It is cool with me. You should have the privilege to be against this.

I see some questions and arguments about God and if I like those questions/arguments I respond according to my belief.
"It's for fun" as Nacho Libre said.

Don't get me wrong, I'm "OK" with people getting something from religion, as I think there is always something to take away from some religions in terms of how you use that to better your self, and potentially become a better person in the process.

I'm just against people not having ALL the information (about the real world/science and all other religions) before they make very bold statements about who/what created the universe, and then spout reams of garbage about it, all based upon 1 of MANY religions/ideology's from around the world. It just makes my head hurt.