Why is the Earth named the Earth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Why is the Earth named the Earth?
The other planets are named after Greek and Roman gods, so why isn't the Earth named that way also?

Over the Thanksgiving weekend I learned it's because that's what God called it. The other planets were created after the Earth, so he let us name those.

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth."

Apparently that somehow counts as indisputable evidence for creationism, so checkmate atheists. Facepalm

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 11:15 AM
RE: Why is the Earth named the Earth?
(01-12-2014 11:13 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  The other planets are named after Greek and Roman gods, so why isn't the Earth named that way also?

Over the Thanksgiving weekend I learned it's because that's what God called it. The other planets were created after the Earth, so he let us name those.

Apparently that somehow counts as indisputable evidence for creationism, so checkmate atheists. Facepalm

Origin

Old English eorthe, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch aarde and German Erde.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
01-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Earth is the modern word for ground. Latin was Terra, Greek was Ge, old English was Eoroe, Proto-Germanic was erpo. Sorry I left all the accents.
[+] 4 users Like wazzel's post
01-12-2014, 11:53 AM
(01-12-2014 11:19 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Earth is the modern word for ground. Latin was Terra, Greek was Ge, old English was Eoroe, Proto-Germanic was erpo. Sorry I left all the accents.

You damn insufferable know-it-all.
Oh wait. Gasp

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-12-2014, 01:37 PM
The word for "Earth" was much more fundamental in proto-germanic than the names for the other planets. There's a reason we adopted French and Latin legal terms but pronouns.
(notwithstanding deliberate classicalism on the part of e.g. astronomers/astrologers through most of the history of the English language)

... this is my signature!
01-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Seems fitting, it does look like an Earth
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
01-12-2014, 02:06 PM
(01-12-2014 11:13 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  The other planets are named after Greek and Roman gods, so why isn't the Earth named that way also?

Well it is also called Gaia or Gaea who is a greek goddess. She's also on Captain Planet as the spirit of earth. Tongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
01-12-2014, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 02:19 PM by wazzel.)
(01-12-2014 11:53 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 11:19 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Earth is the modern word for ground. Latin was Terra, Greek was Ge, old English was Eoroe, Proto-Germanic was erpo. Sorry I left all the accents.

You damn insufferable know-it-all.
Oh wait. Gasp
I just look stuff like that up when the question is asked. Most of that information is out there if you look.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/earth?s=t
01-12-2014, 03:09 PM

If I had to guess, the names were given by people who were watching the heavens for signs and omens and assigning the names of gods to the planets was part of the mythology. They weren't naming planets after the gods, they were identifying the actual gods in the sky. They wouldn't call the ground under their feet by a god's name because it wasn't a god (at least not until it was personified as Gaia).

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
01-12-2014, 03:59 PM

A more interesting question might be why there aren't any planets named after saints, apostles or popes. You'd think that Jesus would at least get his name on an asteroid for all his writhing on the cross.

Days of the week? Norse gods, a greek and a pair of fairly obvious astronomical bodies.

Months of the year? All old Roman including a pair of Ceasars. You'd think that Pope Greg could have reassigned a few of the ones that were just numbered while he was redoing the calendar but he must have been a thoughtless bastard obsessed with leap-years.

It must suck to be the new kid on the block with everything already named for somebody else. Poor christians.

I wonder whose creationists this is proof for. Ragnarok anybody?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post