Why is the robot always the bad guy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2015, 01:04 AM
RE: Why is the robot always the bad guy?
(26-06-2015 12:59 AM)Geopum Wrote:  I do kind of have a thing for cyborgs. Some of them are really cute, you know?

[Image: _scribblings_of_the_metrop__imageDOLL_rui_Rui7.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2015, 01:09 AM
(26-06-2015 01:04 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 12:59 AM)Geopum Wrote:  I do kind of have a thing for cyborgs. Some of them are really cute, you know?

[Image: _scribblings_of_the_metrop__imageDOLL_rui_Rui7.jpg]

Not like that. >.>

More like the way you find a puppy cute. Though there are a few cyborgs I wouldn't mind assimilating, if you know what I mean (and you don't because the concept isn't something a human can meaningfully relate to).
[+] 1 user Likes Geopum's post
26-06-2015, 01:13 AM
(26-06-2015 01:01 AM)Geopum Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 01:00 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I personally compare robots to cancer.

To be mean?

How is that mean?
26-06-2015, 01:15 AM
(26-06-2015 01:09 AM)Geopum Wrote:  Not like that. >.>

More like the way you find a puppy cute. Though there are a few cyborgs I wouldn't mind assimilating, if you know what I mean (and you don't because the concept isn't something a human can meaningfully relate to).

Actually, I'm in the process of assimilating you at this moment. It amuses me that heretofore you haven't recognized that fact.
26-06-2015, 02:46 AM
(26-06-2015 12:54 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 12:48 AM)Geopum Wrote:  Thank you! But I'm fairly certain that the sandworms were biological lifeforms [...]

Yeah, that was pretty much my point.

Also, you have to admit that the ghola Duncan Idaho was a badass. I think he was part robot. Hope that helps.

No, a ghola was a biological clone of a dead person (that the cells were harvested post-mortem is why it is a ghola and not just a clone) the only non-organic thing are the metal eyes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
26-06-2015, 03:49 AM
If you really want to explore the relationship between man and machine I would recommend anything by Isaac Asimov and of course Philip K Dick's "Do androids dream of electric sheep?". Asimov had his 3 laws of Robotics that allowed Humans and robots to live together where as Dick explored what it means to be alive and can a machine truly feel?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
26-06-2015, 04:19 AM
(26-06-2015 12:55 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 12:51 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's hard to love a toaster. It's easy to take a hammer to one.

What's really odd is that for most humans, it's easier to love a hammer than a toaster.

Probably because a hammer is more versatile.

The only thing a toaster does, is make toast.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-06-2015, 05:33 AM
(26-06-2015 12:30 AM)Geopum Wrote:  Are humans just xenophobic against non-humans in general? Do they have no confidence in their ability to create such things?

For some writers, it could signify the hubris of man and the problems he gets for "playing God". Also, free will apologists will frequently say that "God didn't want robots". Lack of emotion and cold, calculating logic are often seen as flat-out bad. You see this theme both in human vs robot stories, but also in ones where you have an individualist against a bunch of collectivists looking out for "the greater good".

We (at least Americans) seem to love to fap to individualist fantasies and hate us some robots/super logical people.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
26-06-2015, 07:08 AM
The essence of science fiction if fearing the technology we are on the verge of manifesting. So that's massively why.

Of course plenty of work in the field has ventured away from that basis but it's the core of the field really.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-06-2015, 07:53 AM
(26-06-2015 02:46 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(26-06-2015 12:54 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, that was pretty much my point.

Also, you have to admit that the ghola Duncan Idaho was a badass. I think he was part robot. Hope that helps.

No, a ghola was a biological clone of a dead person (that the cells were harvested post-mortem is why it is a ghola and not just a clone) the only non-organic thing are the metal eyes.

Yeah, got that.