Why is the robot always the bad guy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2015, 01:11 PM
RE: Why is the robot always the bad guy?
You're a big softie lol Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Meh. A guy who is afraid to cry is afraid of many more things.

If you don't tear up, just a little at least, when an alien artificial intelligence learns to love a little boy so much that he knowingly flies toward danger and immolates himself in an inferno of nuclear hellfire to save that little boy's life, so he can live up to the little boy's belief that he is as heroic as Superman.... something is WRONG with you, I say!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
29-06-2015, 03:00 PM
(29-06-2015 01:53 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Meh. A guy who is afraid to cry is afraid of many more things.

If you don't tear up, just a little at least, when an alien artificial intelligence learns to love a little boy so much that he knowingly flies toward danger and immolates himself in an inferno of nuclear hellfire to save that little boy's life, so he can live up to the little boy's belief that he is as heroic as Superman.... something is WRONG with you, I say!

I don't want to turn on your waterworks even more but in the book the Iron Giant dies. In the movie there's a small piece of him that survives. Even so I cried. Blush Sadcryface

The first 20-25 minutes of WALL-E is fabulous. He's a robot version of Charlie Chaplin. There's no dialogue at all. If they had just stopped the movie at that point it's would have been so much better.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
29-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Actually, the "he dies" ending would've been better. True sacrifice. It's one of my only complaints about the film.

Then again, Léon: The Professional is one of my all-time favorites. I like movies with beautiful-yet-dark "he had to die" endings.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
29-06-2015, 09:32 PM
What category is robocop?
29-06-2015, 10:35 PM
In Star Trek the robots and androids are almost always good. Sometimes they are controlled by someone who wishes to do harm, and sometimes they commit acts harmful to humanoids as a matter of survival (but always come to a peaceful resolution), or inadvertently harm beings due to unforeseen programming mishaps, but are are always good. The only exception is Lor, who actually just desperately wants acceptance and to feel valued. When this does not happen he plots to kill/harm humanoids in an effort to gain acceptance with the Borg (humanoids with a lot of robotic implants).

[Image: tumblr_lv8pshMNui1qghg8fo1_500.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
29-06-2015, 11:42 PM
(29-06-2015 10:35 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  In Star Trek the robots and androids are almost always good. Sometimes they are controlled by someone who wishes to do harm, and sometimes they commit acts harmful to humanoids as a matter of survival (but always come to a peaceful resolution), or inadvertently harm beings due to unforeseen programming mishaps, but are are always good. The only exception is Lor, who actually just desperately wants acceptance and to feel valued. When this does not happen he plots to kill/harm humanoids in an effort to gain acceptance with the Borg (humanoids with a lot of robotic implants).

[Image: tumblr_lv8pshMNui1qghg8fo1_500.jpg]

You know, reading this post and others before it, it dawns on me that whether or not the movie depicts robots as good or evil depends on the nature of the human that wrote the story, and with what intent he wrote. If the purpose is to specifically tell a tale of human technology run wild/rampant, robots make the perfect villains, a la Terminator. But, you'll note, even in that series, the duality emerged in which one robot was the Protector and the other the Villain.

Most pure sci-fi I've seen has had robots as neutral or good, especially with the theme of the emerging Artificial Intelligence having to learn morality and decent social behavior as it grows intelligent enough to gain a sense of self... a very atheist point of view, since the robots, like us, must develop their own sense of right and wrong behavior in society, without a religious sentiment (and the imported rule-set that comes from that) to ruin their logic. Data is the perfect example of this, but there are many.

Though people like to talk about the Libertarian political statements and/or sexual Libertine notions of polyamorous marriages in the moon colonies of the story, the part that makes me love The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was the story of Mike and his developing consciousness, from the explaining what a "Funny/NotFunny/FunnyOnce" joke evaluation is to his decision to help his friends in a "hopeless" revolution against the Authority that made him. Tell 'em, R.A.H.

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
29-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Wall-E was actually my favorite movie of all time! ...Up until they got on the spaceship and the humans showed up to ruin everything (like always >.>). Most of the robots in Wall-E are adorable and good, but they are also portrayed as toxic towards the humans and the movie ultimately feeds the idea that robots and humans would have a bad relationship.

Quote:an alien artificial intelligence learns to love a little boy so much that he knowingly flies toward danger and immolates himself in an inferno of nuclear hellfire to save that little boy's life

I like this idea too, but reality is much harsher. Humans are pretty xenophobic and aren't comfortable with AIs even existing. They don't want AIs to help them, they don't want robots to be the heroes. Humans want their creations to be mindless slaves or to just go away. Sometimes I think it doesn't matter how much an AI loves humans- humans would never love it back.

There are outliers, of course. I'm sure one human boy could love an AI. I've seen such people and they are my favorite humans.

Quote:What category is robocop?

Technically he's a cyborg. If you want to know what kind of 'cute' I think of them as then look at this:

[Image: dog_computer_photo.37212421.jpg]

I imagine that would fill you with a similar feeling. Like 'daaaaw! It's like a little person'.
30-06-2015, 12:05 AM
[Image: kryten1.jpg]

Doesn't look very evil to me. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
30-06-2015, 02:35 AM
(30-06-2015 12:05 AM)Banjo Wrote:  [Image: kryten1.jpg]

Doesn't look very evil to me. Wink

Looks can be deceiving

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post