Why is the robot always the bad guy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2015, 02:44 AM
RE: Why is the robot always the bad guy?
I have that on DVD. "Don't be alarmed sir. It's just my penis, it's on the loose!" Big Grin

Geez Red Dwarf was a good show.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
30-06-2015, 12:33 PM
(30-06-2015 12:05 AM)Banjo Wrote:  [Image: kryten1.jpg]

Doesn't look very evil to me. Wink
Smeeeehh-heeeeeee! And a big one!
30-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Marvin the Depressed Robot
[Image: hhmarvin_large.jpg]

Rosie
[Image: 54fd793349290f492d7bf6c68ecb90f4.jpg]

David & Ted
[Image: gal-bot-david-teddy-jpg.jpg]

Robot
[Image: robot.jpg]

Robots are usually used to represent man's creation. They would be better then us in almost every way. Smarter, Stronger, Indestructible. Things that in one way are super cool. But in another very scary. Man is top of the food chain. So what happens when we make something one rung up?

Robots can be used to show the best of our ability's, or what it means to be human? But for the most part they are created for a spasific task. Which is why I don't think (at least in my life time) we will have robots that will even more than a device that will preform more then one thing.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
01-07-2015, 11:43 AM
I surprised no one mentioned Bicentennial Man yet. A robot who ultimately wants to share in the human experience.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 2 users Like grizzlysnake's post
01-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Good call!

One of my early transitions to atheism was a result of my love of reading sci-fi, as a kid (since my fundy parents wouldn't let us have "worldly" television), when I discovered Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, the first two of which make a pretty simple and effective basis for atheistic morality (the third relegates robots to servant status, part of what the movie Bicentennial Man discusses).

It got me thinking... the very thing my church had warned me about! Wink

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
05-07-2015, 05:54 AM
(29-06-2015 11:44 PM)Geopum Wrote:  
Quote:an alien artificial intelligence learns to love a little boy so much that he knowingly flies toward danger and immolates himself in an inferno of nuclear hellfire to save that little boy's life

I like this idea too, but reality is much harsher. Humans are pretty xenophobic and aren't comfortable with AIs even existing. They don't want AIs to help them, they don't want robots to be the heroes. Humans want their creations to be mindless slaves or to just go away. Sometimes I think it doesn't matter how much an AI loves humans- humans would never love it back.

There are outliers, of course. I'm sure one human boy could love an AI. I've seen such people and they are my favorite humans.

You know, Geopum, I've been mulling this over, and I find I can't agree. Granted, I've seen human xenophobia on a very personal basis, but I think it's entirely reserved for other humans who are alike-yet-critically-different, from our evolutionary past in fearing "the tribe over the next hill". After all, we fear our own family members if they suddenly do something that places them in the category of Other Humans, a la The Wrong (or no) Religion.

But I've also observed that we seem to have a love and fascination with the artificial, the technological... that which comes from ourselves, provided it manages to overcome the "uncanny valley" effect. (Or whatever it's called, where it's just lifelike enough to trigger our inherent BS detectors but not lifelike enough to pass the test.) From Siri/Cortana to Furbies to those little programmable dog-bots, we seem to love robots. Even the crappy ones we have today.

Perhaps it's just that we haven't developed an AI that can truly think for itself, that can truly be independent of human control. The question, to me, is how we will react when robots gain true, autonomous AI (with inherent personality, a la Data from ST:TNG), enough that they may trigger our "the tribe over the hill" xenophobic psychology.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson