Why is the word Nigger offensive yet black people use it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2016, 11:42 AM
Why is the word Nigger offensive yet black people use it?
I've often wondered this.

I've googled it in the past and one reason given is to empower black people. For them to 'own' the word.

Just wonder what others think.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2016, 12:16 PM
RE: Why is the word Nigger offensive yet black people use it?
I have heard similar--that it is about taking the power out of the word. I personally don't like to use the word, it's a horrible reminder of a horrific part of American history. But I support African Americans using it if they feel it is empowering in any way.
13-10-2016, 12:19 PM
It's like good friends calling each other asshole or assorted names you would not call others. It's comradery. And yes, there is the aspect of "owning" the word.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Why does it matter?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
13-10-2016, 01:05 PM
(13-10-2016 12:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  Why does it matter?

You can apply that question to anything.

I'm just interested in hearing peoples opinions on why.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
13-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Just like any word it can be used to convey an idea or emotion. It's all in context. Like the word fuck. Most people realize it offense. And it's suppose to the be the WORST WORD! but it can be used in so many contexts. But substituting it with another word like N-word or F-word. Doesn't change the definition. You say N-word you still mean Nigger.

I remember a while back people were trying to campaign to remove it for the English language. Just like the word Bossy. To me that's just sounds stupid. I've used words that don't even appear in dictionary. And fining people for using a word, is just against our constitutional rights.

But like any word you use it enough times it just becomes a sound.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
13-10-2016, 01:31 PM
Hi there. Now as one of these niggers my self I myself still don't get why it is offensive for white people to say it. I get the whole history argument, but hispanics say nigger all the time, and they don't have a perfect history with american negros either. And the whole I also don't get how I can use words offensive to whites and no one bats, but when I what person just repeats what someone says and the word nigger comes out, then you are going to far. Words only have power if you give it to them.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
13-10-2016, 01:48 PM
I don't know why but I'm all about not offending people and if it upsets people's sensitivities I'll scratch the word off my list.

Well, except for Fundamentalist Christians. They're still fucked up, delusional, narrow minded idiots.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
13-10-2016, 02:06 PM
(13-10-2016 11:42 AM)bemore Wrote:  I've often wondered this.

I've googled it in the past and one reason given is to empower black people. For them to 'own' the word.

Just wonder what others think.

Because intentions are generally perceived differently when whites use the term towards blacks, and when blacks use the term towards white. It goes without saying that if someone is uncomfortable with you calling them nigger, and if you then take it upon yourself to call them that anyway, then you're clearly not using it as a term of endearment.

Add to that historical conditions whites often implied when using the term, and perhaps you get the picture.

The question shouldn't be why can't I call black people niggers, but rather why do you want to call them niggers.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
13-10-2016, 02:46 PM
To me the word has a massive negative connotation associated with it. I do not and will not use that word.

I have a racially diverse family and that word is never, ever, used by anyone at any time.