Why is the word Nigger offensive yet black people use it?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2016, 03:17 PM
RE: Why is the word Nigger offensive yet black people use it?
There is a horrendous historical meaning to the word. The days when it triggered PTSD have passed - but it remains just plain disrespectful. In a few more generations it will have lost it's meaning - such as the word "wench".

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2016, 04:29 PM
(13-10-2016 02:06 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The question shouldn't be why can't I call black people niggers, but rather why do you want to call them niggers.

You misinterpret my question.

I don't wish to call anybody a nigger, I was simply asking about its use in (mainly) certain small portions of african american society and wanted peoples opinions on its evolution and how it came to be.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
13-10-2016, 07:41 PM
Why is the word Nigger offensive yet black people use it?
(13-10-2016 04:29 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 02:06 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The question shouldn't be why can't I call black people niggers, but rather why do you want to call them niggers.

You misinterpret my question.

I don't wish to call anybody a nigger, I was simply asking about its use in (mainly) certain small portions of african american society and wanted peoples opinions on its evolution and how it came to be.

Sorry it was a general "you", not "you" specifically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
13-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Being offended is itself an irrational state with no real point to it.

My Chinese ex wife used to call me all sorts of Chinese slang for dirty foreigner. I'd call her a soy beaner. Good times...

And no that isn't the reason she's my ex wife Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
13-10-2016, 09:02 PM
For me it is all about intent. I have heard it used with the ugly old intent to it plenty of times in the recent past, and that's the association I have. Even If I were hanging out with black people using it as a playful word, it would never roll off my tongue comfortably.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
13-10-2016, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2016 10:16 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
Words are words. They only have the power that you, the listener, give them.

Blacks (and I've got a few in my family) don't allow it power over them based on context. Me, a white, wouldn't think of using that word except in the context of discussing the word itself. We're talking about how "nigger" is used; I'll say it. But I won't aim it at anyone.

I think that's the difference.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
13-10-2016, 10:33 PM
(13-10-2016 12:19 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's like good friends calling each other asshole or assorted names you would not call others. It's comradery. And yes, there is the aspect of "owning" the word.

With that, Dom.

Or, like a family, they can beat each other up and call each other names but stand firm and united against non-family doing the same.

An insult is whatever the target says it is - the target is always right on this, regardless of what value the word or phrase has to others.

Call me "short-arse" in British parlance and, at 5ft 3in I can only agree with you Smile.

Call me "little cunt" and I will shake my head at the lack of knowledge of anatomy. Perhaps the caller has never managed to get sufficiently intimate with a woman to realise his mistake.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
18-10-2016, 12:59 AM
(13-10-2016 03:17 PM)Dom Wrote:  There is a horrendous historical meaning to the word. The days when it triggered PTSD have passed - but it remains just plain disrespectful. In a few more generations it will have lost it's meaning - such as the word "wench".

I think we're already seeing that trend beginning. I've heard plenty of Asians, Islanders, Hispanics, etc use it. Only a handful of whites which are part of "in groups", but I have seen it. I've heard it from a handful of white comedians, for the purpose of fighting political correctness, think the likes of George Carlin. I, a white hillbilly, have used it on occasion, but in the context of what bemore used. In most cases, the only time I've ever wanted to use the word "nigger" is to talk about the word "nigger". Although I did once get called a nigger by a black guy, meant as an insult. I didn't understand, so I asked him why he called me a nigger. That made me a racist, apparently. Eh, whatever. I'm with Carlin on the issue. Words don't matter, it's the meaning behind the words. Words are just symbols of ideas. It's the idea behind the word that matters, not the word itself.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
18-10-2016, 08:53 AM
Why is the word 'cocksucker' offensive? Or the word 'imbecile'? Or 'moist'?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
18-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Why is the word asshole offensive yet people continue to use it?

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post