Why is there something rather than nothing argument????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2016, 09:03 PM
RE: Why is there something rather than nothing argument????
(22-11-2016 06:49 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I rest my case, these 'religious nutters' are always encouraged by an outside force so that they can use religion as a pretext for war/revolution. Because it looks better on the news than saying (the United States is overthrowing another country again in the name of democracy and capitalism)

By "encouraged by the US", I mean we gave them better weaponry to do what they were already doing. They made a movie about it, starring Tom Hanks.

(22-11-2016 06:49 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Yes I can tell how socially liberal they are by their golden toilet bowls.

Are you being deliberately or accidentally obtuse?

I refer to their attempts to slowly liberalize Saudi Arabia's religious society, so they can join the modern world to an increasing degree. For instance, in 2011, King Abdullah finally allowed women to drive.

According to Wikipedia:

According to the Encyclopedia of Human Rights, two "key" conservative Islamic "concepts" that curtail women's rights in Saudi are

sex segregation, justified under the Sharia legal notion of 'shielding from corruption' (dar al-fasaad), and
women's alleged `lack of capacity` (adam al-kifaa'ah) which is the basis of the necessity of a male guardian (mahram) whose permission must be granted for travel, medical procedures, obtaining permits, etc.

[Source: Forsythe, David P, ed. (2009). Encyclopedia of Human Rights, Volume 2. Oxford University Press. p. 396.]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2016, 09:21 PM
(22-11-2016 09:03 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(22-11-2016 06:49 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  I rest my case, these 'religious nutters' are always encouraged by an outside force so that they can use religion as a pretext for war/revolution. Because it looks better on the news than saying (the United States is overthrowing another country again in the name of democracy and capitalism)

By "encouraged by the US", I mean we gave them better weaponry to do what they were already doing. They made a movie about it, starring Tom Hanks.

(22-11-2016 06:49 PM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Yes I can tell how socially liberal they are by their golden toilet bowls.

Are you being deliberately or accidentally obtuse?

I refer to their attempts to slowly liberalize Saudi Arabia's religious society, so they can join the modern world to an increasing degree. For instance, in 2011, King Abdullah finally allowed women to drive.

According to Wikipedia:

According to the Encyclopedia of Human Rights, two "key" conservative Islamic "concepts" that curtail women's rights in Saudi are

sex segregation, justified under the Sharia legal notion of 'shielding from corruption' (dar al-fasaad), and
women's alleged `lack of capacity` (adam al-kifaa'ah) which is the basis of the necessity of a male guardian (mahram) whose permission must be granted for travel, medical procedures, obtaining permits, etc.

[Source: Forsythe, David P, ed. (2009). Encyclopedia of Human Rights, Volume 2. Oxford University Press. p. 396.]

That was deliberate on that one, for now I'd like to end this discussion since I have used all the words I can think of to have you reconsider your current view.
27-11-2016, 04:00 PM
(15-11-2016 10:16 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  And how can something come from nothing??? How can we respond to that argument???
There was never nothing, therefore there was always something. That my friend is the correct answer.
Furthermore an uncaused existence never needed any kind of god. It has no cause being it always was. As of our caused existence - it would be a continuation of an infinite regress of causes - there being no first cause ever.
29-11-2016, 04:14 PM
(15-11-2016 10:16 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  And how can something come from nothing??? How can we respond to that argument???
Just as a mental exercise spare a moments consideration for this:

Nothing would, by its nature, also include rules and laws correct? There is no 2nd Law of Thermodynamics in nothing for example. This would also include the notion that they is no cause and effect in nothingness. As such for something to come from nothing requires no cause at all, due to the lack of cause and effect.

When one removes the requirement for an effect to have a cause it's my opinion that the question becomes how could we NOT have something? The single, the only, the solitary thing nothing could do would be ....something.

Food for thought.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post