• 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 01:06 AM
Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT
Topic says all Undecided
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2014, 01:09 AM
RE: Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT
If I had to make a guess, it would be because they lived in the desert. Getting sand in there . . . ouch!

And, from what I recall, circumcision began in Egypt; yet another desert culture. So, the math adds up.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
04-03-2014, 01:13 AM

Because Ted Haggard

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
04-03-2014, 03:28 AM
Because the penis is a very sensitive organ and it is attached to many some-ones on the forum?

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
04-03-2014, 03:39 AM
Because it was probably seen as a way of sacrificing a part of the baby boy without having to actually kill your first-born son in a culture that operated by the norms of animal sacrifices to a regional war god.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-03-2014, 07:30 AM
(04-03-2014 01:06 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Topic says all Undecided
Hardly. It's a loaded question. You should demonstrate that the OT actually is obsessed with foreskins before asking why it is obsessed.

A search on circumcis* OR foreskin in the OT turns up 33 verses (NKJV or ESV). One of those is speaking metaphorically of the heart, so the count is 32 verses. The OT has over 23,000 verses. Doesn't seem to qualify as an obsession to me. Drinking Beverage
04-03-2014, 07:38 AM
God made a mistake when he created man. Then to cover his ass he made up a ritual. That or god is a cruel mother fucker. Could be either. God is cruel and retarded.
04-03-2014, 07:45 AM
(04-03-2014 03:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Because it was probably seen as a way of sacrificing a part of the baby boy without having to actually kill your first-born son in a culture that operated by the norms of animal sacrifices to a regional war god.

I never thought of it like that. I wonder how much truth there is to that idea.

On a related note, I'll leave this here:

[Image: tumblr_luaku0kVQ41qhk50go1_400.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
04-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Having something that looks like an elephants trunk between your legs wasnt cool, so they made it look like an aspergillum. Smartass

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
04-03-2014, 09:53 AM
The history of circumcision appears to antedate the commandment of YHWH to Abraham to circumcise his son (Gen. 17:10–14). Conservative Christian scholars date Abraham to ca. 2100–2000 BCE. However, documentary evidence for circumcision dating from as far back as 2800 BCE abounds in Egypt. For example, there is a bas-relief with a representation of circumcision (among other surgical operations) in Ankhmahor's tomb in Saqqara.

Circumcision

Ankhmahor was the vizier of Pharaoh Teti, a sixth-dynasty pharaoh who reigned from 2345–2333 BCE. Two men are shown being circumcised. To the viewer's left, a most reluctant young man is being held by the doctor's aide while the doctor prepares to perform the operation. The hieroglyphs document a conversation between another young man about to undergo the same operation and his doctor, with the gist of it being mostly reassurance on the doctor's part. The converstion goes something like this: The patient says:
“Rub (or strop the knife?) it well, to make it efficacious” 
and the operator answers:
 “I’ll make it painless, pleasant.”

The Jews may have picked up the practice from the Egyptians during the so-called captivity or by diffusion.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post