Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2014, 02:27 PM
RE: Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT
(05-03-2014 01:11 PM)alpha male Wrote:  Speaking of ears and tongues...

Recall that there were 32 references to foreskin or circumcision in the OT.

There are 91 references to ears.

There are 89 references to the tongue.

Why isn't anyone claiming that the OT is obsessed with those, despite each being mentioned nearly 3 times more?

Oh yeah...foreskin makes you guys giggle. Tongue
Try looking up the words "appropriate" and "inappropiate". Because, you know, people listen to God's word (ears), speak in tongues or speak to God (tongue), etc. (etc. for the subsequent posts you made about the same stupidity). What was the appropriate thing they do for God by chopping off their foreskins again? Consider

Also, not claiming that the OT is obsessed with those is not the same as claiming the OT is not obsessed with those.

Still waiting for you to make your first good point in some thread some day. Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
05-03-2014, 02:52 PM
(05-03-2014 01:13 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 12:35 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  My original question remains unanswered. Why foreskins?

Guitar-nut,
I gave some plausible reasons earlier on this thread. Just to throw some fuel on the fire, why confine ourselves to the foreskin? Why is God obsessed with human genitalia at all? Here's another verse:
Deut. 23:1: No one who has been emasculated by crushing or cutting may enter the assembly of the Lord.

Eunuchs are clumped with Moabites, Ammonites and bastards among those who cannot "enter the assembly of the Lord", whatever that means.

It is true, though, that later in the OT and in the NT, eunuchs are more socially acceptable. Why? Does God change his mind?

Doc

I did see your answers. If only someone else on this thread was as generous...

Another interesting angle is the church's acceptance of Castrato. Castrating a child for the hopes of a singing career at St. Peter's was approved by the church; the last Castrato passed away in the 1940s. I would think castration fits into the "crushing or cutting" category.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
05-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Neck...53
05-03-2014, 03:22 PM
(05-03-2014 02:27 PM)Impulse Wrote:  [quote='alpha male' pid='509729' dateline='1394046673']

There are only 31 references to the cross (noun, not verb) in the entire Bible. God thought more about foreskins than he thought about his son's sacrifice anyway.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
05-03-2014, 04:10 PM
(05-03-2014 03:22 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 02:27 PM)Impulse Wrote:  [quote='alpha male' pid='509729' dateline='1394046673']

There are only 31 references to the cross (noun, not verb) in the entire Bible. God thought more about foreskins than he thought about his son's sacrifice anyway.

Doc
Or not. I was fair and searched on circumcise and circumcision along with foreskin. You are not fair and so you didn't include crucify, crucifixion etc. Try it and tell us what you get! Thumbsup
05-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Thinking more about the war bit, there's a simpler explanation than KC's. The only instance of this we're told about was Saul's command to David. Saul hated David at that point and wanted him dead. Saul may have thought the foreskin bit was humiliating.
05-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT
(05-03-2014 04:10 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 03:22 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  There are only 31 references to the cross (noun, not verb) in the entire Bible. God thought more about foreskins than he thought about his son's sacrifice anyway.

Doc
Or not. I was fair and searched on circumcise and circumcision along with foreskin. You are not fair and so you didn't include crucify, crucifixion etc. Try it and tell us what you get! Thumbsup

You think that foreskin and circumcision are equally relevant terms in the NT to "Crucifixion"?

[Image: 964.gif]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
05-03-2014, 06:37 PM
(05-03-2014 04:10 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 03:22 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  There are only 31 references to the cross (noun, not verb) in the entire Bible. God thought more about foreskins than he thought about his son's sacrifice anyway.

Doc

OK, let's see what we get when we do that.

Cross (noun) + cruci*= 84 references. So God thought about his son's sacrifice roughly 2 1/2 times more than circumcision.

But, let's play that game a little more:
Communion: 3 references
Trinity: 0 references
Rapture: 0 references

So, by your standards, God thinks a lot about circumcision but not at all about some of the major tenets of Christianity.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
05-03-2014, 06:43 PM
As it turns out, God is super obsessed with prepositions. Also definite articles. There are tons of those in the Bible.
05-03-2014, 07:44 PM
(04-03-2014 01:06 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Topic says all Undecided

Fixation much?