Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2014, 07:51 PM
RE: Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT
(05-03-2014 08:56 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(05-03-2014 08:25 AM)alpha male Wrote:  As already noted, lighter and easier to carry.
Except...I'm discussing both. Amazing how you people have this need to pretend that I'm not addressing the main issue.

Your trying. Lighter and easier to carry? Riiiiiiiight. What's amazing is you coming to an atheist website and trying to make sense of foreskin collection.

How much does a foreskin weigh compared to a human ear? And since you're talking about ease, let's talk about how easy an ear is to remove vs. removing the foreskin, and only the foreskin. Then let's talk about having to separate the foreskins (which have no doubt become stuck together during the trip home) before counting them all, versus dumping out a bag of ears. Your reasons for picking foreskins over any other body part are hilarious. A wise man would have probably answered "I have no real idea why they chose the foreskins."

And how long does a severed foreskin last in the fucking desert, and how recognizable is it as a severed foreskin?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2014, 07:54 PM
(05-03-2014 01:11 PM)alpha male Wrote:  Speaking of ears and tongues...

Recall that there were 32 references to foreskin or circumcision in the OT.

There are 91 references to ears.

There are 89 references to the tongue.

Why isn't anyone claiming that the OT is obsessed with those, despite each being mentioned nearly 3 times more?

Oh yeah...foreskin makes you guys giggle. Tongue

And how many references to ears and tongues are in Harry Potter?

Compared to how many references to fucking FORESKINS?

05-03-2014, 07:58 PM
(05-03-2014 07:44 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 01:06 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Topic says all Undecided

Fixation much?

Troll much?

05-03-2014, 08:39 PM
(05-03-2014 07:44 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 01:06 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Topic says all Undecided

Fixation much?

Add to the conversation much?
05-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Ok, first off, I am going to admit that I didn't read every single reply in this thread. I sorta got bored with the bickering back and forth, so I skipped right to the end (and still saw bickering). So if this sentiment has already been expressed, please excuse me.

Why was the OT fixated on circumcision? The texts that it is based on were used as a guide to give structure to the society of the time. The majority of people in that era and that locale probably didn't bathe very often. So, a big sloppy foreskin might tend to amass some funky smegma, possibly even resulting in oozing sores and infections (dependent upon whether foreign matter also got in the mix). So the priests of the day (who were also the governing authorities of the tribes) laid out rules for the tribes to follow, to keep them safe from infection and such. (e.g. Don't eat pork because it might make you sick... they had no clue that trichinosis was there, they just knew that people + pork = tummy aches/the runs) But in order to get people to follow these rules for hygiene and diet and such, they had to make it a mandate. And what better way to do so than to invoke the wrath of an omnipotent god?

One might ask, why not just say "Yaweh demands you scrub that funky dong once a week or so" instead of "Off with the turtleneck!". I have a feeling that more often than not, when left to their own devises, people would be neglectful of a washing rule. But if you lop off that sucker as a baby, then the problem is lessened from the beginning.

Anyhow, a lot of the OT is just dictation of the laws of the tribes of Israel, so it stands to reason that a bunch of that crap is the whole "Let's label this as the word of gawd because it's in the peoples' best interests." kind of thing.
05-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Picture David walking into Saul's office and plopping 200 freaking Philistine foreskins on the table and saying, ok, I'll take the bitch now.

I know it's ANE and all, but I'm amazed that when Christians read shit like this they don't just say WTF, I can't teach my kids this crazy ass shit, even if there's a remote chance it's true.
12-04-2014, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2014 08:42 AM by Drealgrin.)
IT's absolutely absurd to think that an open wound is less dangerous than having a foreskin back then. Even/especially if you aren't bathing.

The most convincing theory i have heard for ancient Circumcision was that it was a sign of submission to authority. You are damaging your child/property for the society. You are placing your life blood/wealth in harms way. So if you're willing to do that then you're obviously trustworthy to be a part of the tribe/won't betray for slight benefits.

Male genital mutilation wasn't as "safe" back then as it today , and even today with all our technology and medicine over 100 infant males die each year from it in the USA alone.
Jews even have a rule that if 3 of your sons die from being mutilated, you don't have to cut the 4th. (how many times has have they killed more than 3 male infants from a single family before they made such a rule? shows how obsessed they are with cutting off parts of their son's genitals to prove a point.)
[+] 2 users Like Drealgrin's post