Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT
Because in the immediate aftermath of the flood... People had no clothes, and a lot of thorn bushes grew everywhere. The foreskins would commonly become snagged on the thorns, and so had to be removed.

"Thou must sacrifice thy cock sleeve, which thou loveth so much, for it is at great risk of snagging... Which thou doth not want to hear about, or risk losing thy appetite." - Cyril 1:12

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
04-03-2014, 10:00 AM
(04-03-2014 07:30 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 01:06 AM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  Topic says all Undecided
Hardly. It's a loaded question. You should demonstrate that the OT actually is obsessed with foreskins before asking why it is obsessed.

A search on circumcis* OR foreskin in the OT turns up 33 verses (NKJV or ESV). One of those is speaking metaphorically of the heart, so the count is 32 verses. The OT has over 23,000 verses. Doesn't seem to qualify as an obsession to me. Drinking Beverage
...said the blind man. Drinking Beverage

Typical theist maneuver. Why answer the question when you can complain about it instead? So here's another for you to avoid: Why 32 verses (assuming that's even correct) dedicated to something about which there shouldn't even be 1 verse? Rolleyes

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Impulse's post
04-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Alpha is wrong.

For some reason, YHWH was indeed fixated on the male penile foreskin, so much so that he was willing to kill Moses for neglecting to circumcise his son, Exod. 4.

My problem is, which of Moses's sons was the unlucky one? For he had two, and the Bible explicitly says (Exod. 4:25) that only one was forcibly circumcised by his mother to prevent Moses's death. She then cast the poor boy's foreskin at Moses's feet, all the while berating Moses for bringing this fate upon them. How did she pick which son to choose? And how old was this boy when he was circumcised by his mother? Consider that Moses married Zipporah soon after he reached Midian, which was when he was about forty years old (implied in Exod. 2:21). Acts 4:30 states that forty years passed before Moses saw the burning bush and departed for Egypt at God's command to free the Israelites. Surely his sons were not little ones when he set out, considering he had been married for forty years. It just sends shivers down my spine to imagine a hapless boy (young or otherwise. Or a young man?) being forcibly circumcised by his mother to appease a god's bloodlust.

Doc
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
04-03-2014, 10:27 AM
(04-03-2014 10:06 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Alpha is wrong.

For some reason, YHWH was indeed fixated on the male penile foreskin, so much so that he was willing to kill Moses for neglecting to circumcise his son, Exod. 4.
That brings up a good point. A mere count of references doesn't by itself prove or disprove an obsession. It's the content of the supposed 32 references that does so.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
04-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Hardly. It's a loaded question. You should demonstrate that the OT actually is obsessed with foreskins before asking why it is obsessed.

A search on circumcis* OR foreskin in the OT turns up 33 verses (NKJV or ESV). One of those is speaking metaphorically of the heart, so the count is 32 verses. The OT has over 23,000 verses. Doesn't seem to qualify as an obsession to me. Drinking Beverage

You don't see 32 verses as obsessive? Shocking
That it is there at all is evidence that it is a narrow, parochial book of myths.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
04-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Exactly how familiar are you with ANE history?

It's not just an OT thing... it was a cultural thing. That and circumcision became a VERY important outward sign of being a Hebrew. No one else circumcised, so it was an easy way for the Hebrew to stand apart socially (which is what they wanted).

During the ANE times of war, if there was a bounty for kills, foreskins would be collected as proof of the kills... because... well... they are a LOT lighter than heads and you're not going to get a man's foreskin unless you kill them.

It's kind of unfair to say that the OT was obsessed with foreskins because it's ANE literature and this practice was common during that time.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-03-2014, 10:58 AM

Do you see yourself as being on this forum for some kind of reason?

Really?

Hobo

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
04-03-2014, 11:15 AM
(04-03-2014 10:00 AM)Impulse Wrote:  ...said the blind man. Drinking Beverage

Typical theist maneuver. Why answer the question when you can complain about it instead? So here's another for you to avoid: Why 32 verses (assuming that's even correct) dedicated to something about which there shouldn't even be 1 verse? Rolleyes

I hadn't even read his post before you quoted him, and I had a feeling it was going this way. He always does this with the whole "low hanging fruit" thing. He'll look for any obvious hyperbole, "correct it", and then move on, without actually addressing the OP.

It's almost like he doesn't want to have any honest discussions on this board.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
04-03-2014, 11:15 AM
(04-03-2014 10:57 AM)kingschosen Wrote:   No one else circumcised, so it was an easy way for the Hebrew to stand apart socially (which is what they wanted).

It's kind of unfair to say that the OT was obsessed with foreskins because it's ANE literature and this practice was common during that time.

KC,
Make up your mind!
Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
04-03-2014, 11:24 AM
(04-03-2014 10:27 AM)Impulse Wrote:  That brings up a good point. A mere count of references doesn't by itself prove or disprove an obsession. It's the content of the supposed 32 references that does so.

Well, Genesis 34 has a real good one. I'll highlight the good bits:

Genesis 34:24-25
Creepy Bible Wrote:24 All the men who went out of the city gate agreed with Hamor and his son Shechem, and every male in the city was circumcised.

25 Three days later, while all of them were still in pain, two of Jacob’s sons, Simeon and Levi, Dinah’s brothers, took their swords and attacked the unsuspecting city, killing every male.

This portion was preceded by them entering into an agreement with their future victims that they could only marry their relatives if the men in the community were first circumcised. They did this with the intention of tricking them into becoming vulnerable before killing them. I suppose this does predate the laws against killing and lying. Bible, you so crazy.

So, there's one of your 33 references. Wink

(04-03-2014 10:57 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's not just an OT thing... it was a cultural thing. That and circumcision became a VERY important outward sign of being a Hebrew. No one else circumcised, so it was an easy way for the Hebrew to stand apart socially (which is what they wanted).

I like how they have real strict laws on sex, and yet, they wear their identification badge literally on their penis.

"Are you Jewish? Let me see it... no-homo!"
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post