RE: Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT
(04-03-2014 11:32 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 11:15 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  KC,
Make up your mind!
Doc

I was talking about foreskin gathering.

Shocking

.....is that like.....harvesting...? Were they starving that bad? Consider

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
04-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Lots of primitive cultures have disfiguration rituals as a sort of tribal identity.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_P2UwQlm1ECmkUm9dCT0...AmG9SOZc6q]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5rdDqIpIDvSgHQVlozZb...m_MSWN0ctA]

And you don't get much more primitive than a bunch of desert goat fuckers.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
04-03-2014, 12:19 PM
(04-03-2014 11:57 AM)Impulse Wrote:  32 references... the obsession is factual, not an assumption.
No, it is not self-evident that 32 verses out of over 23,000 constitutes obsession.
Quote:To be loaded, it would have to be an assumption.
To be loaded, it would have to be controversial, and it is.

But tell me...why isn't the OT obsessed with foreskins? Consider
04-03-2014, 12:48 PM
(04-03-2014 12:19 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 11:57 AM)Impulse Wrote:  32 references... the obsession is factual, not an assumption.
No, it is not self-evident that 32 verses out of over 23,000 constitutes obsession.

Yes, because I don't know about you, but every day at work it's totally the major topic of conversation: "What about lopping the end of your noodle off?" I mean, it's ALL we ever talk about.... Dodgy

Quote:But tell me...why isn't the OT obsessed with foreskins? Consider

Yes because crack open ANY book that's 1500 pages long and you're going to find at LEAST 50 admonitions to chop the end of your cock off. The OT is BELOW AVERAGE, even! Hobo

Try it yourself!

Drinking Beverage

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
04-03-2014, 01:32 PM
(04-03-2014 12:48 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 12:19 PM)alpha male Wrote:  No, it is not self-evident that 32 verses out of over 23,000 constitutes obsession.

Yes, because I don't know about you, but every day at work it's totally the major topic of conversation: "What about lopping the end of your noodle off?" I mean, it's ALL we ever talk about.... Dodgy

Just ignore him. Seriously. His whole point of posting in this thread is to complain about the hyperbole of the use of the word "obsession". The rest of us understood the context to mean "concern" and have discussed the topic as such. He's being pedantic at best, and is more likely simply trolling us.

You have to realize: from his point of view, he believes in a creator-god that created us with foreskins for the sole purpose of having them cut of, because [reasons], and he doesn't know what those reasons are. It's much easier for him to complain about how the thread title isn't technically correct than to ponder why God made us with a body part that is intended to be severed.

This is all he does in most threads he posts in. He makes an initial post that's mostly off topic (while having the appearance of addressing the topic), and he only posts further if people engage him on his new topic. This is why I stopped reading his posts.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
04-03-2014, 01:55 PM

But tell me...why isn't the OT obsessed with foreskins? Consider

It's not loaded. It's just a question.

I'm inclined to agree with KC that it was as much a cultural *thing* as any other reason.

Yoooou are taking exception to the use of the word "obsession' because any criticism of the OT isn't going to sit well with you. Instead of just being a forum member and tackling the question - YOU question the RIGHT of the question in the first place - as you've done other times .

Your goal here on this forum to discount and discredit is so obvious - it's ridiculous. The more you whine and bemoan the more transparent you are. YOU are as free as anyone else here to bypass and ignore any question or topic you don't wish to try and understand. But demanding someone PROVE that their question is legit? No. I don't think so. Also - you should make a note that you will NEVER be KC - a theist respected here. You will always be viewed as a guest. Your brand of theism already proven lame and unwanted. If you wonder HOW your brand of theism was made evident as bullshit you need only review your own posts.

wait...

that would mean you'd have to read posts with an open mind.

never mind.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 4 users Like WitchSabrina's post
04-03-2014, 01:57 PM
(04-03-2014 01:32 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 12:48 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Yes, because I don't know about you, but every day at work it's totally the major topic of conversation: "What about lopping the end of your noodle off?" I mean, it's ALL we ever talk about.... Dodgy

Just ignore him. Seriously. His whole point of posting in this thread is to complain about the hyperbole of the use of the word "obsession". The rest of us understood the context to mean "concern" and have discussed the topic as such. He's being pedantic at best, and is more likely simply trolling us.

You have to realize: from his point of view, he believes in a creator-god that created us with foreskins for the sole purpose of having them cut of, because [reasons], and he doesn't know what those reasons are. It's much easier for him to complain about how the thread title isn't technically correct than to ponder why God made us with a body part that is intended to be severed.

This is all he does in most threads he posts in. He makes an initial post that's mostly off topic (while having the appearance of addressing the topic), and he only posts further if people engage him on his new topic. This is why I stopped reading his posts.

Well. Done. You!
Worship Slaves

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
04-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT
(04-03-2014 11:35 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 11:27 AM)alpha male Wrote:  If it's a typical theist maneuver to not take the bait of a loaded question, then you seem to be admitting that it's a typical atheist maneuver to ask loaded questions. Tongue
It wasn't a loaded question and I also never said it was. It was you who said that. Nice strawman. Drinking Beverage

(04-03-2014 11:27 AM)alpha male Wrote:  As I noted in another thread recently, a stated purpose of the law was to set Israel apart from other nations. Circumcision would discourage frivolous converts, don'tcha think?
Oh, we're supposed to piece together your posts from all threads now? Rolleyes Anyway, this has what to do with religion and gawd (crossed out so as not to "load" the question) God?

Pretty much. Remember him turning several threads into the same topic, repeating the same argument over and over and ignoring objections?

It seems intellectual dishonesty and reciting the company line are typical theist maneuvers.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
04-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Have fun in that little fantasy world where you're the only one that believes this. (Did you totally miss Taqiyya Mockingbird's post? How many references to foreskin were in Harry Potter again? Consider

Only in your mind. Drinking Beverage

(04-03-2014 12:19 PM)alpha male Wrote:  But tell me...why isn't the OT obsessed with foreskins? Consider
It is...

But tell me... where besides the OT and probably some books that explain how to do the procedure, does ANY other book mention circumcision even once, let alone 32 times? Not obsessed indeed... Rolleyes

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
04-03-2014, 02:09 PM
(04-03-2014 01:32 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Just ignore him. Seriously. His whole point of posting in this thread is to complain about the hyperbole of the use of the word "obsession". The rest of us understood the context to mean "concern" and have discussed the topic as such. He's being pedantic at best, and is more likely simply trolling us.

Except...I gave a reason:
Quote:a stated purpose of the law was to set Israel apart from other nations. Circumcision would discourage frivolous converts, don'tcha think?
Why do you have a need to lie about me, Robby?