Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 02:41 PM
RE: Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT
To answer the OP question:

What is the importance of circumcision? Christian commentators have various explanations. The most favored involves the spilling of blood. It seals the covenant between YHWH and his people, binding them to him.

Other explanations involve symbolism. The foreskin around the penis represents hardness of the heart, and just as the penis may be circumcised, so may the heart (spiritually speaking), resulting in a softening of the heart toward God (Moses's choice of words, not mine).

Assuming the period of Israel's captivity to be authentic, the Hebrews had plenty of time to assimilate some Egyptian practices, including that of circumcision. The practice may have been initially instituted to parallel in the male the blood loss caused by the disruption of the hymen in the female during the act of intercourse.

Or it may have been the easiest part of the male body to sacrifice to a god, since the permanent loss of almost any other part of the body would have resulted in disfigurement, discomfort, or disability (the alliteration is a holdover from my preaching days).

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
04-03-2014, 02:44 PM
(04-03-2014 02:37 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Only after being called on the carpet about your BS, you restated a comment from another thread which said very little.
It didn't say much because the answer is so plain and simple.
Quote:And when I asked what that had to do with religion, you said... oh yeah, you didn't say anything...
As it was already explained.
Quote:you spent the rest of this entire thread whining about the "loaded" question and Robbypants "lying".
And again, it takes two to tango. If you guys focused on the answer, so would I.
Quote:Like I said. You couldn't come up with an answer. Drinking Beverage
You can say it all you like, but I gave an answer.
04-03-2014, 02:46 PM
(04-03-2014 02:44 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 02:37 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Only after being called on the carpet about your BS, you restated a comment from another thread which said very little.
It didn't say much because the answer is so plain and simple.
Quote:And when I asked what that had to do with religion, you said... oh yeah, you didn't say anything...
As it was already explained.
Quote:you spent the rest of this entire thread whining about the "loaded" question and Robbypants "lying".
And again, it takes two to tango. If you guys focused on the answer, so would I.
Quote:Like I said. You couldn't come up with an answer. Drinking Beverage
You can say it all you like, but I gave an answer.
So "plain and simple" that you couldn't answer it.

I'm sorry, but the flying spaghetti monster has told me that I will boil if I have anything further to do with you. So it's been fun, but bye.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
04-03-2014, 02:52 PM
(04-03-2014 02:41 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Other explanations involve symbolism. The foreskin around the penis represents hardness of the heart, and just as the penis may be circumcised, so may the heart (spiritually speaking), resulting in a softening of the heart toward God (Moses's choice of words, not mine).

Wait. So, when God hardened Pharaoh's heart numerous times in Exodus... he was giving him an erection?
04-03-2014, 02:54 PM
(04-03-2014 02:46 PM)Impulse Wrote:  So "plain and simple" that you couldn't answer it.
I did answer it. The purpose of the law was in part to set Israel apart from other nations. Requiring circumcision of males served to keep out frivolous converts. You don't take the Snippy DiPini treatment unless you're quite serious.
04-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Well, this sure went down the shitter quick, I'm outta here too.

Fuck off Alfalfa !

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 3 users Like War Horse's post
04-03-2014, 03:05 PM
(04-03-2014 02:52 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 02:41 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Other explanations involve symbolism. The foreskin around the penis represents hardness of the heart, and just as the penis may be circumcised, so may the heart (spiritually speaking), resulting in a softening of the heart toward God (Moses's choice of words, not mine).

Wait. So, when God hardened Pharaoh's heart numerous times in Exodus... he was giving him an erection?

Hey, I said it was Moses's choice of words! YHWH may have been homo-deio-sexual. He's fixated on male private parts and hangs around with two other male deities all the time.
Doc
04-03-2014, 03:10 PM
(04-03-2014 02:54 PM)alpha male Wrote:  I did answer it. The purpose of the law was in part to set Israel apart from other nations.

Yes. Like all of their neighbours who also practiced it.

Yes

I find that when all my neighbours have nice grass lawns, the best way to set my house apart from theirs is to have a nice grass lawn.

(04-03-2014 02:54 PM)alpha male Wrote:  Requiring circumcision of males served to keep out frivolous converts.

Such a claim would require you to first demonstrate that there was frequent conversion between ethnic/tribal religions - a dubious prospect - and only then demonstrate the existence of such a motivation; recalling, all the while, the above observation.

Of course, such a motivation did in fact exist at a much later time, in the first and second centuries; this being in the context of a Graeco-Roman cultural dominance which detested the practice. Attempting to project these conditions back several centuries is an incoherent shambles (much like Paul's words on the matter, so there's that).

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
04-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Here's the worst part, and did she really say "whistle blower?" Laughat

I can't believe how disgusting the Jewish circumcision practice is, and this is a perfect example of why it's not the sanitary gem they claim it is. What a scumbag.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2014, 03:41 PM
(04-03-2014 03:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Yes. Like all of their neighbours who also practiced it.

Yes

I find that when all my neighbours have nice grass lawns, the best way to set my house apart from theirs is to have a nice grass lawn.

Such a claim would require you to first demonstrate that there was frequent conversion between ethnic/tribal religions - a dubious prospect - and only then demonstrate the existence of such a motivation; recalling, all the while, the above observation.
If you take it as proven that all their neighbors did it, then that's your answer - it was a normal practice at the time and it's not surprising to see it in the OT as well.