Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 03:52 PM
RE: Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT
(04-03-2014 02:35 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 01:55 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Yoooou are taking exception to the use of the word "obsession' because any criticism of the OT isn't going to sit well with you.

No, he takes exception so he can be pedantic and/or troll us, giving him an excuse to post in the thread without actually talking about the topic.

Note how every other person in this thread understood the context of the OP to be "why is the OT concerned about foreskins?". Everyone else understood that and posted accordingly. It's not that Alpha doesn't get context; he's just fucking with us.

(04-03-2014 02:12 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  ..........and...........here's the derailment.

taaadaaaSmartass

See, I wouldn't have even seen that if you hadn't quoted it...

...and, yeah, you're right.

Robby, I've read your posts since I got here. I've never seen you - not One Time - ever lie. If you ever did I completely missed it.
But what's even MORE special is that Alpha calling you out is his derailment off the OP since he doesn't LIKE the OP and we're all a bunch of meanie poo poo heads.

*snort*

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WitchSabrina's post
04-03-2014, 03:56 PM
(04-03-2014 02:44 PM)alpha male Wrote:  It didn't say much because the answer is so plain and simple.

In that empty space known as your head?
Did it make a rattling sound, too?

Someone please start a SPANK thread for our dog? I'm pretty sure he enjoys online abuse since he comes to an atheist forum to barf his theism whereby he is repeatedly spanked up one side and down the other.............daily.
Please can we just build this pup his very own dog house?

who has the biscuits?

[Image: 41vzLsgXiZL.jpg]

I KNOW we got some pup trainers in here. This one's been peeing ALL over the rug of our house for FAR too long.

(goes to buy Shock collar and remote)

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
04-03-2014, 04:31 PM
(04-03-2014 03:41 PM)alpha male Wrote:  If you take it as proven that all their neighbors did it...

It assuredly is - but nice try with that disingenuous phrasing!

(04-03-2014 02:54 PM)alpha male Wrote:  ... then that's your answer - it was a normal practice at the time and it's not surprising to see it in the OT as well.

Except no, because contemporaries didn't obsess to the degree of hoarding piles of cut-offs, nor is there anywhere near the same emphasis found in the surviving literature of surrounding peoples.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
04-03-2014, 04:58 PM
(04-03-2014 03:41 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 03:10 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Yes. Like all of their neighbours who also practiced it.

Yes

I find that when all my neighbours have nice grass lawns, the best way to set my house apart from theirs is to have a nice grass lawn.

Such a claim would require you to first demonstrate that there was frequent conversion between ethnic/tribal religions - a dubious prospect - and only then demonstrate the existence of such a motivation; recalling, all the while, the above observation.
If you take it as proven that all their neighbors did it, then that's your answer - it was a normal practice at the time and it's not surprising to see it in the OT as well.

[Image: Moving-The-Goalposts.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
04-03-2014, 05:05 PM
(04-03-2014 02:29 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 02:18 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Edit:
Since you edited your post to say "atheist", I'll edit mine to point out it was one hell of a Freudian slip! Big Grin
A hasty C&P actually.

Consider this hypothetical exchange:

Theist: Why are most atheists obsessed with destroying religion?
Atheist: I disagree that most atheists are obsessed with destroying religion. A survey of atheist writings show that only a small percentage pertain to destroying religion.
Theist: Typical atheist maneuver. Why answer the question when you can complain about it instead?

It's the same thing, and you know you'd cry bullshit if it came from a theist.

Little Johnny: Alpha, Billy smacked Suzy in her head with a bat!!!
AlphaDog: So what did you learn, little Johnny?
Little Johnny: That I should hit Suzy in her head with a bat?
AlphaDog: Sure Johnny - that's the ticket, little dude! (beams with pride)

Suzy lays beaten in a heap out upon the playground. Moral of this story? AlphaDog apparently willingly supports and adopts behavior he would (and has) willingly criticize.

YAY

I mean - if we're gonna derail a thread --WTF let's derail it. Weeping

04-03-2014, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 06:12 PM by WillHopp.)
As I have said before, those aren't the right goal posts. :-) They are just moving the entire goal and, from the looks of it, they are moving them closer. ;-)

It should be American football goal posts, since moving them farther away would make it more and more difficult to make a field goal.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
04-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Well, at least I've still got my foreskin...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2014, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 07:27 PM by sporehux.)
Soo anyway.
Pretty much everyone I grew up with was circumcised for what we were told was sanitary reasons, it was implied that an uncircumcised shlong would be more prone to infection or something.

Was there a history of cock rot 2000-5000 BC ?

It could well be a tradition from pre biblical times, where exposed penis heads were intimidating to competitors or would attract mates (peacocking)

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
04-03-2014, 07:18 PM
(04-03-2014 03:52 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Robby, I've read your posts since I got here. I've never seen you - not One Time - ever lie. If you ever did I completely missed it.

Thanks!

Being called a liar IRL is one of those things that really gets to me. Especially if it's a situation where it makes the person feel better to assume I'm lying rather than trying to see how the truth fits into their view on things.
04-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT
(04-03-2014 07:18 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Soo anyway.
Pretty much everyone I grew up with was circumcised for what we were told was sanitary reasons, it was implied that an uncircumcised shlong would be more prone to infection or something.

Was there a history of cock rot 2000-5000 BC ?

Hopefully we can get an answer from one of the Christian experts on foreskin in this thread.

[Image: era5yvuj.jpg]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post