Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2014, 07:32 PM
RE: Why is there such an obsession with Foreskins in the OT
(04-03-2014 07:18 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 03:52 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Robby, I've read your posts since I got here. I've never seen you - not One Time - ever lie. If you ever did I completely missed it.

Thanks!

Being called a liar IRL is one of those things that really gets to me. Especially if it's a situation where it makes the person feel better to assume I'm lying rather than trying to see how the truth fits into their view on things.

So the next time some loser calls you a liar, Robby, you just remember that you are NOT one. People are just assholes when they don't get their way. Even adults, honey.....even adults. Dodgy

Hug

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
04-03-2014, 07:32 PM
(04-03-2014 07:18 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Soo anyway.
Pretty much everyone I grew up with was circumcised for what we were told was sanitary reasons, it was implied that an uncircumcised shlong would be more prone to infection or something.

Was there a history of cock rot 2000-5000 BC ?

It could well be a tradition from pre biblical times, where exposed penis heads were intimidating to competitors or would attract mates (peacocking)

I heard a report on NPR a while ago that stated that circumcision did reduce the chances of contracting HIV and other infection. But the difference was small.
04-03-2014, 08:12 PM
(04-03-2014 07:32 PM)natachan Wrote:  I heard a report on NPR a while ago that stated that circumcision did reduce the chances of contracting HIV and other infection. But the difference was small.

It's also a hell of a lot less effective than, er, condoms.

So while there is very solid evidence for a statistically significant decrease in risk (only for men contracting HIV through heterosexual vaginal sex, mind, since that's all that's been [permissible to be] studied), it's also hilariously politicised within Africa and tends to be pushed by that delightful type of person who condemns actual safe sex practices.

... this is my signature!
04-03-2014, 08:19 PM
The Jewish were "obsessed" with clean and unclean, makes sense that They would weave real world causal observations into a religious context.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
04-03-2014, 09:11 PM
'David arose and went, along with his men, and killed two hundred of the Philistines. And David brought their foreskins, which were given in full number to the king, that he might become the king’s son-in-law. And Saul gave him his daughter Michal for a wife.'

Obsessed.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
04-03-2014, 09:39 PM
(04-03-2014 09:11 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  'David arose and went, along with his men, and killed two hundred of the Philistines. And David brought their foreskins, which were given in full number to the king, that he might become the king’s son-in-law. And Saul gave him his daughter Michal for a wife.'

Obsessed.

Poor guy who got that job. Guess you really don't want to piss off the boss.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
04-03-2014, 09:52 PM
(04-03-2014 08:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 07:32 PM)natachan Wrote:  I heard a report on NPR a while ago that stated that circumcision did reduce the chances of contracting HIV and other infection. But the difference was small.

It's also a hell of a lot less effective than, er, condoms.

So while there is very solid evidence for a statistically significant decrease in risk (only for men contracting HIV through heterosexual vaginal sex, mind, since that's all that's been [permissible to be] studied), it's also hilariously politicised within Africa and tends to be pushed by that delightful type of person who condemns actual safe sex practices.

I had a very heated debate with a Catholic over condoms in Africa. He refused to believe the Vatican had claimed they didn't work... Until I showed him the articles.

Fair play to him, unlike most theists he accepted it was true.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
04-03-2014, 11:16 PM
(04-03-2014 02:29 PM)alpha male Wrote:  Theist: Why are most atheists obsessed with destroying religion? blah blah blah...

Atheists are interested in destroying religion because we would prefer your fucking boots off of our fucking necks, asshole.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
05-03-2014, 06:47 AM
(04-03-2014 04:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  It assuredly is - but nice try with that disingenuous phrasing!
You people are paranoid. There's nothing wrong with that phrasing. I haven't studied the issue, so I'm noting that I'm approaching it as a hypothetical. It's like an atheist saying, "If God does exist, then..."

(04-03-2014 02:54 PM)alpha male Wrote:  Except no, because contemporaries didn't obsess to the degree of hoarding piles of cut-offs,
Let's see support for such hoarding.
Quote:nor is there anywhere near the same emphasis found in the surviving literature of surrounding peoples.
How did you determine that?
05-03-2014, 06:52 AM
(04-03-2014 09:11 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  'David arose and went, along with his men, and killed two hundred of the Philistines. And David brought their foreskins, which were given in full number to the king, that he might become the king’s son-in-law. And Saul gave him his daughter Michal for a wife.'

Obsessed.
As someone already pointed out, this was an easy way to prove number of kills - a lot easier than bringing back the full body, or head, etc.

Plus, RobbyPants said that obsession was hyperbole, and really just meant concerned. Yet, others are still arguing obsession. Which is it? Consider