Why is this happening to me and has it ever happened to you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2013, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2013 06:41 PM by jangofett15.)
Why is this happening to me and has it ever happened to you?
I've been feeling really depressed lately. I've been an atheist for a few months now and ever since I left Christianity, a void has been left inside of me. I've found myself wanting to believe in something just to fill the void. In addition, I'm not particularly looking forward to telling my parents who are extremely religious. I also live in the South and intolerance is rampant throughout my town. I guess I'm just venting but I wish I had someone close who's going through the same thing that I am. So have you ever experienced this and how did you overcome it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2013, 06:12 PM
RE: Why is this happening to me and has it ever happened to you?
I think it's pretty common to feel like something is missing when you remove religion from your life. I know I thought I had to believe in something and/or belong to a church. I did some looking around and reading and finally realized that it's okay not to believe. But that didn't stop me from reading and learning more about religion and Atheism.

The south is a tough place to be when you don't believe. For now, it's probably best to just do some studying and get prepared for the inevitable questions when you do decide to tell people.

Good luck and welcome.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
08-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Many new atheists go through the process of grieving.

Someone who has been very close to you and an integral part of your life - god - is suddenly gone.

You can expect to go through all the stages of grieving.

Grief is what happens when you repeatedly run into situations where someone or something would have been present, but they are gone. There is a big void.

Every time you run into the situation, grief gets triggered.

The more often it gets triggered, the weaker it gets.

There is no reason to tell your parents, at least not until you are done grieving. There is simply no point in putting you and them through this right now.

You have little control over this - but you can fill the void with new activities - or get new friends...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-10-2013, 06:15 PM
JangoF:
I feel for you. Even though our situations are different i too have been having difficulty coping with the deconversion. The first advice i will give you is a reassurance. You are still the same person. Just without the belief. Your values, your morality and your personhood is still there. There is nothing wrong with you. Come to terms with yourself before coming to terms with everybody else. It will help to vent, so vent. This forum, this community has been a great help for me, and it will do the same for you. Find another cause. A rational one, to transfer your conviction to. Secularism is a good one. There are others. Quoting one of Seth's podcasts: "You are not alone and you are not crazy."

If you don't want a sarcastic answer, don't ask stupid questions. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes ivaneus's post