Why is wolverine and thor popular when they suck?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Re: Why is wolverine and thor popular when they suck?
I've never considered Thor popular... So I dont know that one. Nor do I understand the concept of judging superheroes by who they've lost to or beat..

Wolverine is popular because he's the epitome of the Byronic Hero. He's the touch exterior badass who will go in rage mode and shut out those around him because he's tormented by his past. The problem is he can't remember all,of his past but he knows much of it he doesn't want to remember. And if course again, he's a badass who smokes, drinks, and is anti group/establishment. He's the ideal teenager role model which is why he's popular.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
22-05-2014, 01:46 PM
RE: Why is wolverine and thor popular when they suck?
(22-05-2014 01:43 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I've never considered Thor popular... So I dont know that one. Nor do I understand the concept of judging superheroes by who they've lost to or beat..

Wolverine is popular because he's the epitome of the Byronic Hero. He's the touch exterior badass who will go in rage mode and shut out those around him because he's tormented by his past. The problem is he can't remember all,of his past but he knows much of it he doesn't want to remember. And if course again, he's a badass who smokes, drinks, and is anti group/establishment. He's the ideal teenager role model which is why he's popular.

He should also win fights. I would make him look like you may be able to beat a few certain people, but they rest will beat you up no matter how bad ass you are.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
22-05-2014, 01:47 PM
(22-05-2014 01:35 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 01:27 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  200 years of experience, not all of it fighting, most of it forgotten. Even if he could remember (depending in which take on Wolverine this is), he had been fighting other people, not meta-humans or super-humans or aliens. He is a regular dude with an Olympian level physique, an unbreakable skeleton, built in razors, a bad attitude, and he heals super fast. That's it. He can't shoot laser beams out of his eyes, he can't control the weather, he can't teleport, he can't fly, he's not super strong. All things considered, he does pretty well for himself.

Thor isn't a god, not as we'd understand it. The Asgardians are more physically fit and live much longer than humans, but even a lot of his powers are due to his hammer Mjolnir, which means his powers are technology dependant (much like Iron-Man or Batman).

Then why are they popular again? Why not strong heros that basically can rip holes in dimensions?

Because not everyone is all about MORE POWER MUAHAHAHAHA. Some of us like the everyman aspect of certain superheros. It makes them more relatable and believable.

I honestly dislike most insanely powerful superheros. Superman is an idiot who only gets defeated because he's a fucking idiot. That pretty much goes for most of the insanely powerful characters. Their defeats always hinge on them making some incredibly stupid mistake or just generally not thinking things through. If they took 5 minutes to think about their plan, they'd be unstoppable.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 3 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
22-05-2014, 01:48 PM
(22-05-2014 01:35 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 01:27 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  200 years of experience, not all of it fighting, most of it forgotten. Even if he could remember (depending in which take on Wolverine this is), he had been fighting other people, not meta-humans or super-humans or aliens. He is a regular dude with an Olympian level physique, an unbreakable skeleton, built in razors, a bad attitude, and he heals super fast. That's it. He can't shoot laser beams out of his eyes, he can't control the weather, he can't teleport, he can't fly, he's not super strong. All things considered, he does pretty well for himself.

Thor isn't a god, not as we'd understand it. The Asgardians are more physically fit and live much longer than humans, but even a lot of his powers are due to his hammer Mjolnir, which means his powers are technology dependant (much like Iron-Man or Batman).

Then why are they popular again? Why not strong heros that basically can rip holes in dimensions?

Any number of reasons.

Neither are invincible.

Wolverine is the X-Men's de facto bad boy. Men want to be him, and ladies want to be with him. He's also an everyman. Unlike a lot of other mutants, he has the luxury of blending into society; which is a more prominent thing in the X-Men series than the wider Marvel cannon (not many people want to look like Nightcrawler or Mystique for example). Also he's Canadian, and I hear they're popular.

Thor springs from the Jack Kirby silver ear, so he has a shit ton of history and is an integral part of the Marvel Universe. He's a founding member of the freakin' Avengers, the superhero team of the Marvel series. He's also still one of the most recognizable heroes that bridges the military/SHIELD types (Captain America, Iron Man, anyone else on the Avengers, etc.) and the rest of the cosmic heroes (Silver Surfer, The Guardians of the Galaxy, etc.)

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
22-05-2014, 01:53 PM
(22-05-2014 01:47 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 01:35 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Then why are they popular again? Why not strong heros that basically can rip holes in dimensions?

Because not everyone is all about MORE POWER MUAHAHAHAHA. Some of us like the everyman aspect of certain superheros. It makes them more relatable and believable.

I honestly dislike most insanely powerful superheros. Superman is an idiot who only gets defeated because he's a fucking idiot. That pretty much goes for most of the insanely powerful characters. Their defeats always hinge on them making some incredibly stupid mistake or just generally not thinking things through. If they took 5 minutes to think about their plan, they'd be unstoppable.

I don't like DC period, and I like op heros, I feel safer seeing them.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
22-05-2014, 01:53 PM
But seriously, if you want to give anyone shit, start with Squirrel Girl... Dodgy

[Image: 3203019-squirrel_girl_full_artwork.png]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
22-05-2014, 01:54 PM
(22-05-2014 01:53 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  But seriously, if you want to give anyone shit, start with Squirrel Girl... Dodgy

She beat thanos and doctor doom. I don't think either wolverine or thor could do that.

22-05-2014, 02:03 PM
(22-05-2014 01:53 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 01:47 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Because not everyone is all about MORE POWER MUAHAHAHAHA. Some of us like the everyman aspect of certain superheros. It makes them more relatable and believable.

I don't like DC period, and I like op heros, I feel safer seeing them.

I can understand why you like them. All I'm saying is that not all of us have the same viewpoint.

I find Wolvy to be one of the most relatable heros out there. He's flawed, like me. He's an asshole, like me. He's tortured by his past, much more than me but like me. He generally doesn't give a shit what people think of him, like me. He is arrogant to a fault, like me.

And he has traits that I admire a great deal. He never backs down, he never gives up, etc.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
22-05-2014, 02:03 PM
(22-05-2014 01:54 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 01:53 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  But seriously, if you want to give anyone shit, start with Squirrel Girl... Dodgy

She beat thanos and doctor doom. I don't think either wolverine or thor could do that.

She beat them as a joke...

22-05-2014, 02:06 PM
(22-05-2014 01:48 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 01:35 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Then why are they popular again? Why not strong heros that basically can rip holes in dimensions?

Wolverine is the X-Men's de facto bad boy. Men want to be him, and ladies want to be with him.

Correction: women want to save him from his own internal torment. Or rather they like to think they can.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post