Why no sympathy for creationists.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Why no sympathy for creationists.
They are mind rape victims, most would be 100% sure of burning in hell for eternity, just for questioning the bibles obvious contradictions.
Think of everytime they dodge a question with an inane answer as them having a gun to their head.

A rape victim with stockholm syndrome is not ridiculed for defending their rapist. And as god is everywhere a creationist has it worse by not being able to escape the malevolence and Jealous vengeful tyranny of that deity.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2014, 09:49 AM
RE: Why no sympathy for creationists.
I do have sympathy for many creationists because many of them haven't been exposed to anything else. What bothers me is when some are told about obvious contradictions, scientific evidence that refutes their position, the lack of evidence to support their claims, historical research that has found no evidence in favor of their view and much that opposes it, etc., and they simply dismiss it without even the slightest interest in considering the new information and whether it has any merit. It's those creationists that I have no sympathy for.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
06-02-2014, 10:10 AM
"Fundamentalist" might be a better word in this thread than "creationist". I know several Christians who technically believe in creation, but they aren't YECs, they believe in evolution, and don't believe in hell (or at least, not in the typical fashion). Fundies tend to have a lot more of the traits you discuss.

As Impulse said, I feel sorry for the ones who haven't really known anything else. I feel sorry for the ones that learn their apologetic strawmen before they are even introduced to a real dissenting view point.

Where I stop feeling sorry is when I see the ones who seemingly revel in the fact that they're going to heaven, and if I don't stop arguing with them, I'm going to hell (you see this type a lot on FaceBook, on large, public posts). Hell becomes a log less like a gun pointed at their head and a lot more like one they are holding in their hand, pointing at me. Of course, they believe the gun is loaded and I do not, so, there's that. Big Grin
06-02-2014, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 04:07 PM by mrlmichael.)
Here is my problem. I have sympathy for creationist when it is all they know, or because they are indoctrinated by it when they were young. And I feel sorry for them when their family circumstances and external pressures kind of prevent them from even exploring the other possibility.

What makes me stop feeling sorry for them is when they realize there is a debate to be had, and refuse to accept any counter point to their previously held beliefs as valid. One thing that really annoys me about creationist who are "interested" in science is they are coming at it from a confirmation bias. They are not really looking for information and exploring science, they are desperately digging for ways to confirm the beliefs they currently have. Real people interested in science explore things with an open mind, hoping to make a new discovery that contradicts every thing they have ever known, they consider this exciting and worthwhile. It's when you get the whole "God of the gaps" people where my sympathy dissipates with them.
06-02-2014, 04:02 PM
I can't help thinking of Ken Ham as a mentally disabled kid demanding that unicorn racing be added to public schools, and while we need to protect our kids from nonsense, what Dawking said about debating YEC makes sense now.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post