Why not kill Jesus as soon he's born?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2015, 03:00 PM
RE: Why not kill Jesus as soon he's born?
The one I wish hadn't made it past infancy is Paul.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like julep's post
28-12-2015, 12:23 PM
I think the short answer would be that if he died as a infant, none of the prophecies would have been fulfilled so there would have been no reason for anyone to believe he was the Messiah.
[+] 1 user Likes jason_delisle's post
28-12-2015, 12:24 PM
(26-12-2015 07:57 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(26-12-2015 05:58 PM)thecontemplator Wrote:  Well? If he's supposed to die for our sins why not get it over with? Instead he wastes 30 years not really doing anything as the bible says Jesus only preached for 3 years. In the meantime people were going to hell since Jeebus hadn't died yet.

I wondered why Jesus couldn't have died from a bloody case of hemorrhoids, it satisfies the need for torture, pain and bloodshed.

Or why can't god simply be satisfied with animals that get killed by predators, run over by cars, etc. That satisfies the blood spilled, pain and torture if it's prolonged pain. Why doesn't roadkill count as a blood sacrifice?

BTW, if any theists want to comment on this thread, I'm not looking for explanations, I'm mocking the stupid barbarity of the entire atonement concept.
Read Isaiah 53. It pretty much explains why things had to be done the way it was done.
28-12-2015, 12:35 PM
(27-12-2015 03:00 PM)julep Wrote:  The one I wish hadn't made it past infancy is Paul.
McCartney?
28-12-2015, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2015 12:52 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Well, as we've been discussing with Q for months now, the role of a prophet in Hebrew society was not to tell the future. In fact originally, omens and omen reading were forbidden. Around the turn of the millenium, it became the fad to look for secret meanings, ("peshers") in the old writings, which were originally addressed by prophets to the people of their own day, as advice.

Deuteronomy 18:10-11 (NIV)
"Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead."

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid257278

When Isaiah said a "child would be a sign" it was a very specfic historical situation, to a very specific king : http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...3#pid49743

I think it would be fair to say, if the early Christian writers hadn't chosen to misuse the writings of ancient wise men in ways that were forbidden, for their own purposes, very likely there would not be such widespread misunderstanding about the role of prophesy and what it was prophets actually did in that culture.

Even if one accepts the misuse as it stands, the person Christians claim as messiah never did get the job done of the "annointed one" (the person who was to reestablish the Kingdon of David). So even given the misuse, they could not have referred to him.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-12-2015, 12:44 PM
(28-12-2015 12:35 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(27-12-2015 03:00 PM)julep Wrote:  The one I wish hadn't made it past infancy is Paul.
McCartney?

Bunyan. And/or the Saint. McCartney's a bit tragic but okay with me.
28-12-2015, 01:02 PM
(26-12-2015 05:58 PM)thecontemplator Wrote:  Well? If he's supposed to die for our sins why not get it over with? Instead he wastes 30 years not really doing anything as the bible says Jesus only preached for 3 years. In the meantime people were going to hell since Jeebus hadn't died yet.

Well, not that I'm standing up for that hole filled plot but... Dodgy

the Jesus character had to be killed by men as one of their own. A baby not yet grown, has not experienced all a human life can and is therefore not yet a man.

Killing a human has very little to do with the person being killed, it is more about the person(s) doing the killing. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
28-12-2015, 01:56 PM
(28-12-2015 12:24 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  
(26-12-2015 07:57 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I wondered why Jesus couldn't have died from a bloody case of hemorrhoids, it satisfies the need for torture, pain and bloodshed.

Or why can't god simply be satisfied with animals that get killed by predators, run over by cars, etc. That satisfies the blood spilled, pain and torture if it's prolonged pain. Why doesn't roadkill count as a blood sacrifice?

BTW, if any theists want to comment on this thread, I'm not looking for explanations, I'm mocking the stupid barbarity of the entire atonement concept.
Read Isaiah 53. It pretty much explains why things had to be done the way it was done.

No it didn't, when you realize EVERY single prophecy that Jesus supposedly fulfilled were the results of stories written to put the mythology of Jesus into a prophecy. Jesus' life was not a fulfillment of prophecy, it was a story written to match prophecies according to their interpretation of them.

That's why stories of his virgin birth appear well after the supposed time of Jesus, (based off of a misinterpreted word virgin=young woman) they wrote their story to fit it.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
28-12-2015, 02:27 PM
(28-12-2015 01:56 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(28-12-2015 12:24 PM)jason_delisle Wrote:  Read Isaiah 53. It pretty much explains why things had to be done the way it was done.

No it didn't, when you realize EVERY single prophecy that Jesus supposedly fulfilled were the results of stories written to put the mythology of Jesus into a prophecy. Jesus' life was not a fulfillment of prophecy, it was a story written to match prophecies according to their interpretation of them.

That's why stories of his virgin birth appear well after the supposed time of Jesus, (based off of a misinterpreted word virgin=young woman) they wrote their story to fit it.
The point I was trying to make was not to somehow prove the stories are legitimate. It was to show why the specific events of the stories were written.
28-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Why not ask this question on a christian forum? What did Christians say when you asked them this question? Just curious to hear what their responses were.