Why only christian prayers in exorcising a ghost?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Why only christian prayers in exorcising a ghost?
My circadian rhythm is like a constant spinning wheel which means at least 7 to 14 days a month I'm awake at night and sleeping in the day.
Anyways in these nighttime hours often flipping through tv-channels is the only thing worth doing, recently I caught an old show Haunting and A Haunting.

Basically the show goes like this American family moves into house, house haunted, family scared, family gets medium or priest in and ghost goes sulking in the afterlife.

Now one thing that always bothered me the priest or the medium always either uses a Christian prayer or blessed saltwater (probably also a Christian blessed here), well why is it that a Christian blessing is the only thing that works against those pesky ghosts? why not a Muslim prayer or an old Norse one where you ask Valkyries, Hel or whom so ever was responsible for collecting the dead and leading them to the next life to come and get that fucking baby ghost.
Or if it's a demon that terrorizes the house what if that demon is from the Buddhist version of hell why would it care that some priest or another is chanting Christian prayers and throwing around blessed saltwater, saltwater that mind you is also christen blessed.

So again why Christian prayers to get rid of a demon or ghost, what is so special about that particular branch of religion, that it works so well against ghost and demons?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2012, 07:44 AM
RE: Why only christian prayers in exorcising a ghost?
Because 80% of Americans practice it.
20-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Troubled by those creaking, groaning noises in your house? Thought you saw a shadow move past the window? Swore you saw a figure hovering above you while you sleep? Or maybe you have accidentally defiled a sacred place?

You might have tried calling a priest, a monk, or a ghost buster to help you exorcise the ghost. Look at their magic weapons! The priest yielding the Holy Bible, the Holy Water, the Holy Candle (no Holy Hand Grenades). The monk with his arsenal of prayers and charms. The ghost buster with his plasma pack and spectral entrapment device. Chances are the ghost buster does his job the most effectively.

But why waste money when you can do the exorcism yourself?

HOW TO EXORCISE ANY GHOST
Step 1: Chance on a "supernatural" event
Step 2: Stay calm and alert.
Step 3: Observe the "supernatural" event carefully. Use your best death stare and concentration skills.
Step 4: Think. What could caused such an event to occur?
Step 5: If an unfortunate victim is involved, call the ambulance. Let the doctors handle the patient.
Step 6: Explain the event you have witness using the least assumptions. Bonus points if you saw the culprit behind the "supernatural" event, be it a squirrel, a falling leaf, or a stray lamp.
Step 7: If indeed you are unable to find any explanation, come back at another time, or view your location with a different perspective.

Remember, stay clam, and happy GHOST BUSTING!

[Image: tumblr_lfk0zfmY4z1qdhovmo1_500.png]

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 1 user Likes robotworld's post
20-02-2012, 10:39 AM
There are a few religions that feature exorcism actually. The media typically only represents the common religions which would be christian. Otherwise people might not go to the movie.

A quick google will turn up a few pages detailing exorcism in a few different forms. And when in a hurry Wikipedia works typically.
With a quick read through I was surprised to find how similar the Hindu procedure is to the ones I've heard the catholics perform.

Also I found this site here that talks about Buddhist and Taoist exorcisms, which even when I was studying Buddhism I was unaware of. Though my guess would be that they are rituals to cleanse the spirit and not actually remove an evil one though it says differently on the site so what do I know?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
20-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Schizophrenia is in every culture.
Therefore, superstitious nut cases try to drive it out of people.
I always though it interesting that when they killed the person they called it “success”.
It must have been God's will...

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
21-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Hey, Erik.

1 - You're wrong.

2 - For the same reason Hollywood movies don't have Asian leads unless you're Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat or Jackie Chan. People tell, primarily, their own stories (with the exception of some cross-cultural stories like, say, Beowulf) and in Hollywood, that means stories about white Americans and white Americans have a strong link to the Christian tradition.

3 - No prayers from any religion can get rid of a Ghost Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
21-02-2012, 07:10 AM
(21-02-2012 07:03 AM)Ghost Wrote:  3 - No prayers from any religion can get rid of a Ghost Cool

Oh i don´t know i think maybe a prayer from the religion play the worst music in history sung by three people who are absolute tone deaf might do the trick.

Though who will be in most torture by this the living or the dead is hard to say Big Grin