Why people believe in conspiracy theories?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 02:59 AM by Vosur.)
Why people believe in conspiracy theories?
Why you think people are ready to believe something so preposterous like the Illuminati or chemtrails or even fake moon landings.
I am not talking about 9/11 which is more controversial conspiracy (but still very unlikely to be true). I quess i should expect it from a species that believe that god cares about what they do in their bedrooms.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2014, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 12:14 PM by One Above All.)
RE: Why people believe in conspiract theories?
It's just their narcissism, egocentrism, and need to feel special expressed as "I have special knowledge that nobody else has". Same reason for belief in the supernatural.

EDIT: Fully expanded, the expression of the things I mentioned would probably look more like this:
I have special knowledge that not only nobody else has, but nobody - not even me - could have acquired. However, I still managed to acquire it, because I'm awesome like that. I'm the only individual among the sheep. I must become their shepherd and guide them to The Truth, since I'm the only one who has it. I am amazing. Nobody else is as smart or knowledgeable as me. Nobody can beat me. I have access to secret knowledge that The Government keeps hidden from everyone, although they leave clues everywhere for some reason, like Illuminati symbols, rather than just not doing that.

...It goes on for a while, but I think you get it.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 3 users Like One Above All's post
18-08-2014, 01:49 PM
(18-08-2014 12:08 PM)One Above All Wrote:  It's just their narcissism, egocentrism, and need to feel special expressed as "I have special knowledge that nobody else has". Same reason for belief in the supernatural.

EDIT: Fully expanded, the expression of the things I mentioned would probably look more like this:
I have special knowledge that not only nobody else has, but nobody - not even me - could have acquired. However, I still managed to acquire it, because I'm awesome like that. I'm the only individual among the sheep. I must become their shepherd and guide them to The Truth, since I'm the only one who has it. I am amazing. Nobody else is as smart or knowledgeable as me. Nobody can beat me. I have access to secret knowledge that The Government keeps hidden from everyone, although they leave clues everywhere for some reason, like Illuminati symbols, rather than just not doing that.

...It goes on for a while, but I think you get it.

Well said!!!
18-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Additionally, I think people just prefer a good story. A story filled with drama, plot twists, heroes, villains, etc. A simple, scientific explanation doesn't have any of these elements. (Not to mention that conspiracy theorists don't exactly exude scientific literacy.) A complex story with coverups, and super villains (government or corporations) is what people crave.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 2 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
18-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Dan Brown managed to make a buttload of money from The DaVinci Code. Maybe that's something they're also going for.
18-08-2014, 07:51 PM
It's "conspiracy," not "conspiract." Sleepy

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
18-08-2014, 07:55 PM
(18-08-2014 07:51 PM)Vosur Wrote:  It's "conspiracy," not "conspiract." Sleepy

In the OP's defense...that could have been a typo.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
19-08-2014, 02:52 AM

I am sorry for the typo. Can i change it?
19-08-2014, 02:54 AM
(18-08-2014 07:55 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

In the OP's defense...that could have been a typo.

Yeah thank you its a typo! Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Antonis's post
19-08-2014, 02:59 AM
(19-08-2014 02:52 AM)Antonis Wrote:  I am sorry for the typo. Can i change it?
I don't think you can edit your post at this point, so I fixed it for you.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post