Why people believe in conspiracy theories?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 06:48 AM
RE: Why people believe in conspiracy theories?
(19-08-2014 02:59 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 02:52 AM)Antonis Wrote:  I am sorry for the typo. Can i change it?
I don't think you can edit your post at this point, so I fixed it for you.

thanks Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2014, 09:06 AM
I say it is mostly about entertainment value; when you can show me a conspiracy theory that actually strengthens my view of the world I may be willing to accept it, but all I have seen thus far, and I have seen a lot, is a fun pastime. Maybe people need something more constructive to do with their time but then indulging recreation is actually healthy for our productivity, proven fact.

I look at conspiracy theories like LARPing or Cosplay; people take them very seriously, but other than a very small minority of extremists nutcases most have limits to the lifestyle.
[+] 1 user Likes Ray Butler's post
19-08-2014, 11:54 AM
(19-08-2014 09:06 AM)Ray Butler Wrote:  I say it is mostly about entertainment value; when you can show me a conspiracy theory that actually strengthens my view of the world I may be willing to accept it, but all I have seen thus far, and I have seen a lot, is a fun pastime. Maybe people need something more constructive to do with their time but then indulging recreation is actually healthy for our productivity, proven fact.

I look at conspiracy theories like LARPing or Cosplay; people take them very seriously, but other than a very small minority of extremists nutcases most have limits to the lifestyle.

How can people be entertained with theories like the new world order. People really believe that there is a secret organization that moves all the strings and despite the fact that they don't want the world to know about them they live their symbols everywhere! I created this thread when i saw an article that claimed that the illuminati killed Robin Wlliams and left a message by playing an episode of family guy that Robin Williams was in just before it was announced that he died. No

I know a lot of intelligent people that are skeptic and cultured that believe in very crazy theories! (the malaysian boeing 777 had doctors that will find the cure for aids). Conspiracy theories are like religion they infect everything and everyone.
19-08-2014, 01:00 PM
(19-08-2014 11:54 AM)Antonis Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 09:06 AM)Ray Butler Wrote:  I say it is mostly about entertainment value; when you can show me a conspiracy theory that actually strengthens my view of the world I may be willing to accept it, but all I have seen thus far, and I have seen a lot, is a fun pastime. Maybe people need something more constructive to do with their time but then indulging recreation is actually healthy for our productivity, proven fact.

How can people be entertained with theories like the new world order. People really believe that there is a secret organization that moves all the strings and despite the fact that they don't want the world to know about them they live their symbols everywhere! I created this thread when i saw an article that claimed that the illuminati killed Robin Wlliams and left a message by playing an episode of family guy that Robin Williams was in just before it was announced that he died. No

I know a lot of intelligent people that are skeptic and cultured that believe in very crazy theories! (the malaysian boeing 777 had doctors that will find the cure for aids). Conspiracy theories are like religion they infect everything and everyone.

I don't know why they believe them, I'm not nuts, but I'd say most people don't actually believe them, sorry I wasn't clear about that. And I don't know why people are apathetic or narcissistic enough to trivialise something like the death of Robin Williams, again I'm not nuts like that. But people are driven to a range of behaviours by their impulses; things like insecurity and the need for validation can make people come up with eccentric expressions ultimately designed for that purpose. Some people consider it art.
[+] 1 user Likes Ray Butler's post
19-08-2014, 01:37 PM
... Well it stands to reason that if the conspiracy theory is true then the conspirators don't want you to believe in it, or it won't work. So you *must* believe it, to foil their dastardly plot.

Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
19-08-2014, 01:42 PM
(19-08-2014 11:54 AM)Antonis Wrote:  

I think there is a variety of things involved, the most basic of which is that some people like to tell stories and other people like to believe the stories told to them. It's almost as if conspiracy theories are the dark side of religious stories, built not on trust in a deity but on distrust of human secular institutions.

Watergate was a true conspiracy among government officials. That is until it was discovered and brought out in the light. Then it went from being a conspiracy to front page news. Conspiracies generally don't occupy the front of newspapers or the internet news. At least not for very long. It's usually buried down in the footnotes and back pages of the media.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
21-08-2014, 07:04 AM
they can't accept that it happened so they try to rationalize it in a way that makes sense to them

in other words its just "I don't wanna believe its true therefore its not true"
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
21-08-2014, 07:12 AM
I think for the most part it's just entertainment, creativity, using your imagination. I don't know anyone who really believes in them.

Why do people trash talk? Why do we tell our kids stories about tooth fairies? Why do we write fiction? Why do fisherman lie about the size of the fish? Because people like to bullshit. And others like hearing a well told, good bullshit story to pass the time.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
21-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Because too many conspiracies have turned out to be true.
Too many lies by governments to hide horrible things they have done.
Every conspiracy theory....ok...some have a very high probability of being true.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
21-08-2014, 10:49 PM
(21-08-2014 07:12 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I think for the most part it's just entertainment, creativity, using your imagination. I don't know anyone who really believes in them.

Does the name Alex Jones mean anything to you?

The True Believers are out there, trust me.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post