Why people believe in conspiracy theories?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2014, 09:43 PM
RE: Why people believe in conspiracy theories?
(27-08-2014 11:29 AM)jojorumbles Wrote:  Well the majority of these conspiracies contain a kernal of truth. This truth may not have any relationship to the conspiracy, but some look at it, see it's true and think everything else in the conspiracy claim is also true.

One element is actually verifiably true, so the unverifiable stuff the author connects to it must also be true. It's flawed reasoning but I see how that connection is made.

My uncle has an obsession with conspiracies which is sad. Many of these are self reinforcing. Find a bit of evidence that supports your conspiracy? Great, that's just proof that it's true. Can't find any evidence that supports the conspiracy? Great, that in and of itself is just proof the conspiracy runs deeper than we thought.

Just remember...

Conspiracy is the klaxon call of those who admit they lack the evidence for their preferred conclusion.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2014, 09:48 PM
(27-08-2014 09:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 11:29 AM)jojorumbles Wrote:  Well the majority of these conspiracies contain a kernal of truth. This truth may not have any relationship to the conspiracy, but some look at it, see it's true and think everything else in the conspiracy claim is also true.

One element is actually verifiably true, so the unverifiable stuff the author connects to it must also be true. It's flawed reasoning but I see how that connection is made.

My uncle has an obsession with conspiracies which is sad. Many of these are self reinforcing. Find a bit of evidence that supports your conspiracy? Great, that's just proof that it's true. Can't find any evidence that supports the conspiracy? Great, that in and of itself is just proof the conspiracy runs deeper than we thought.

Just remember...

Conspiracy is the klaxon call of those who admit they lack the evidence for their preferred conclusion.

Yeah, sure. That's what they want you to believe.Facepalm

Come on, sheeple, wake up. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2014, 10:21 PM
(19-08-2014 02:54 AM)Antonis Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 07:55 PM)Anjele Wrote:  In the OP's defense...that could have been a typo.

Yeah thank you its a typo! Smile

First, and most importantly, I am disappointed. Vosur, you are slacking. Its? Its?! ITS?! Where is the goddamned apostrophe?! It-fucking-is Big Grin

Okay, with the important bit out of the way, I'd wager that it is in part due to actual conspiracies. Yes, the nuts with absolutely ludicrous 'theories' will oft recite the well-known conspiracies which have been committed to memory. Of course after sufficient evidence has been collected it moves from 'conspiracy theory' to 'conspiracy'. What of the conspiracies that have occurred or have been at least been...err...conspired, for which not enough evidence has been presented yet? There are no doubt people conspiring to do nasty things every-fucking-day. Corrupt politicians, a.k.a. the government, conspire regularly. There have been loads revealed to be less fiction than fact in just the last few years. A few years back how many of you would've called me nuts if I had proclaimed that the U.S. government was actively 'wire-tapping' not only our close and trusted allies, but on individual American citizens....millions of them. It does sound crazy, and it is crazy, but it's been revealed to be fact. The government bullied private phone companies into violating the American's Constitutional rights. That's partially responsible for people's eagerness to believe in things like secret time-travel machines, alien invasions and the like. I ain't saying the U.S. government was responsible for 9/11, I am just saying at least some conspiracies have some merit - I don't know which one's require serious intellectual debate and conversation, but I have a pretty good idea of which ones do not.

WALL OF TEXT! Gasp Smile

28-08-2014, 12:40 AM
Just after the Sandy Hook Elementary school shootings took place, a young, college educated, woman I work with told me the most incredulous story of the conspiracy surrounding the so called shootings. She was absolutely lit up with the news that it never happened. She prattled on about the involvement of the US president in a conspiracy plot involving the so called shootings.

After listening to her, I was struck utterly dumb. I had nothing to say. I never had any interest in that coworker again.

These are especially stupid people with stunted brains, period.

And the worst part, I believe this special kind of stupidity is growing here in the states.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
28-08-2014, 01:06 AM
(27-08-2014 09:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 09:43 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Just remember...

Yeah, sure. That's what they want you to believe.Facepalm

Come on, sheeple, wake up. Angry

[Image: 886499_430274097098488_971952476_o.jpg]

Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
28-08-2014, 02:10 AM
(27-08-2014 10:21 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 02:54 AM)Antonis Wrote:  Yeah thank you its a typo! Smile

First, and most importantly, I am disappointed. Vosur, you are slacking. Its? Its?! ITS?! Where is the goddamned apostrophe?! It-fucking-is Big Grin

Okay, with the important bit out of the way, I'd wager that it is in part due to actual conspiracies. Yes, the nuts with absolutely ludicrous 'theories' will oft recite the well-known conspiracies which have been committed to memory. Of course after sufficient evidence has been collected it moves from 'conspiracy theory' to 'conspiracy'. What of the conspiracies that have occurred or have been at least been...err...conspired, for which not enough evidence has been presented yet? There are no doubt people conspiring to do nasty things every-fucking-day. Corrupt politicians, a.k.a. the government, conspire regularly. There have been loads revealed to be less fiction than fact in just the last few years. A few years back how many of you would've called me nuts if I had proclaimed that the U.S. government was actively 'wire-tapping' not only our close and trusted allies, but on individual American citizens....millions of them. It does sound crazy, and it is crazy, but it's been revealed to be fact. The government bullied private phone companies into violating the American's Constitutional rights. That's partially responsible for people's eagerness to believe in things like secret time-travel machines, alien invasions and the like. I ain't saying the U.S. government was responsible for 9/11, I am just saying at least some conspiracies have some merit - I don't know which one's require serious intellectual debate and conversation, but I have a pretty good idea of which ones do not.

WALL OF TEXT! Gasp Smile

The NSA monitoring more or less all communication was not exactly a secret. The full extent was bigger than most people had assumed but most people I know have joked about the government listening in on phone calls and whatnot for years. Make some off color joke about something and then the other person would say "Oh great now we are on the no fly list" or something along those lines. In the movie The American President one of the jokes between Michael Douglas and Martin Sheen is about how everyone has an FBI file. So no you would not have been labeled insane for such a belief maybe just a touch paranoid.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
28-08-2014, 05:35 AM
(28-08-2014 02:10 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 10:21 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  First, and most importantly, I am disappointed. Vosur, you are slacking. Its? Its?! ITS?! Where is the goddamned apostrophe?! It-fucking-is Big Grin

WALL OF TEXT! Gasp Smile

The NSA monitoring more or less all communication was not exactly a secret. The full extent was bigger than most people had assumed but most people I know have joked about the government listening in on phone calls and whatnot for years. Make some off color joke about something and then the other person would say "Oh great now we are on the no fly list" or something along those lines. In the movie The American President one of the jokes between Michael Douglas and Martin Sheen is about how everyone has an FBI file. So no you would not have been labeled insane for such a belief maybe just a touch paranoid.

You're wrong, sir. A joke is a joke, and a dumb movie is a dumb movie. What you're referring to with the government from several years ago is false as well. You're referring to what was 'allowed' by the Patriot Act ™. This, as it turned out, is not what was happening...which was already pretty fucking lousy if Uncle Sam had been honest.

28-08-2014, 08:06 AM
(21-08-2014 10:49 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 07:12 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I think for the most part it's just entertainment, creativity, using your imagination. I don't know anyone who really believes in them.

Does the name Alex Jones mean anything to you?

The True Believers are out there, trust me.

I had to google him, never heard of him. Why? Because I don't listen to that kind of crap. And I don't hang with the crowd that does.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
28-08-2014, 08:16 AM
(27-08-2014 10:21 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Okay, with the important bit out of the way, I'd wager that it is in part due to actual conspiracies. Yes, the nuts with absolutely ludicrous 'theories' will oft recite the well-known conspiracies which have been committed to memory. Of course after sufficient evidence has been collected it moves from 'conspiracy theory' to 'conspiracy'. What of the conspiracies that have occurred or have been at least been...err...conspired, for which not enough evidence has been presented yet? There are no doubt people conspiring to do nasty things every-fucking-day. Corrupt politicians, a.k.a. the government, conspire regularly. There have been loads revealed to be less fiction than fact in just the last few years. A few years back how many of you would've called me nuts if I had proclaimed that the U.S. government was actively 'wire-tapping' not only our close and trusted allies, but on individual American citizens....millions of them. It does sound crazy, and it is crazy, but it's been revealed to be fact. The government bullied private phone companies into violating the American's Constitutional rights. That's partially responsible for people's eagerness to believe in things like secret time-travel machines, alien invasions and the like. I ain't saying the U.S. government was responsible for 9/11, I am just saying at least some conspiracies have some merit - I don't know which one's require serious intellectual debate and conversation, but I have a pretty good idea of which ones do not.

The capacity to monitor communications infrastructure has existed as long as there's been communications infrastructure.

It's a bit disingenuous to say "nobody would have believed it" because you can't know that, and it's self-serving to merely assert it...

Anyway, that people do conspire is not and never was considered an outlandish idea. But I agree that it's tremendous fuel for the nutjob fires - if "they" did X, therefore "they" must have also done Y.

... this is my signature!
28-08-2014, 08:18 AM
(28-08-2014 08:06 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(21-08-2014 10:49 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Does the name Alex Jones mean anything to you?

The True Believers are out there, trust me.

I had to google him, never heard of him. Why? Because I don't listen to that kind of crap. And I don't hang with the crowd that does.

Consider yourself fortunate.

But no, the man has a vast audience, so there are most definitely those who go all in.

... this is my signature!