Why people do not doubt they had personal experiences with God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Why people do not doubt they had personal experiences with God?
Lets assume there is God. That means there is Devil. Why religious people completely forget this guy? I mean if Devil will try to confuse believer to make him do something terrible, like sacrifice his son or start a war, wouldn't it be most logical for Devil to appear as angel before this guy and ask him to do it?
And the phrase "God works in mysterious ways" must belong to Devil. Because God is supposed to be good and just. He would never ask for human sacrifices. So the Bible being so immoral if it was inspired by some mystical entity this entity must be Devil, not God. This book is full of lies, asks people to waste their lives, it can't be written by loving father. Lies and confusion looks more like work of Devil to me.
If God created us, why he gave us brain, logic, morality? Obviously so we can use them for better judgement. Bible asks us not to.

I should probably be asking these questions some religious people, but I imaging they would send me to hell. Smile Maybe someone here already asked those questions and can share.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2012, 09:46 AM
RE: Why people do not doubt they had personal experiences with God?
I think many religious people just assume they, personally, could not be deceived; that the devil only deceives other people. People tend to always assume they are right.

That, and questioning too much/doubting is often seen as wrong or a sign of weakness. If your faith is strong, you won't waste your time doubting, etc. Doubting means you have weak faith and it's a sign of failure, or so it seems from talking to a lot of religious people I know.

I imagine that a lot of Christians wouldn't even consider the bible being false, in the sense of written by the devil or not being divinely inspired, because such thoughts would seem blasphemous. The bible is true because the bible says the bible is true, I guess. And because their parents/priests/pastors told them so. If you doubt that part, the whole religion falls apart.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-12-2012, 09:48 AM
(24-12-2012 09:17 AM)sydorenkoalex Wrote:  Lets assume there is God. That means there is Devil.

Wow. The wheels cannot come off any quicker than that. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-12-2012, 09:51 AM
(24-12-2012 09:48 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(24-12-2012 09:17 AM)sydorenkoalex Wrote:  Lets assume there is God. That means there is Devil.

Wow. The wheels cannot come off any quicker than that. Thumbsup

Yup.
24-12-2012, 09:52 AM
When I assume there's a god, I make an ass of u and me.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
24-12-2012, 09:59 AM
(24-12-2012 09:52 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  When I assume there's a god, I make an ass of u and me.

Does that mean we get to eat at the manger?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-12-2012, 10:02 AM
(24-12-2012 09:46 AM)amyb Wrote:  I imagine that a lot of Christians wouldn't even consider the bible being false, in the sense of written by the devil or not being divinely inspired, because such thoughts would seem blasphemous. The bible is true because the bible says the bible is true, I guess. And because their parents/priests/pastors told them so. If you doubt that part, the whole religion falls apart.
Well, my mother believes in some god but not in any book. So sometimes religion doesn't falls apart. And there are people that believe but don't think you should take Bible literally. I wonder how they choose which part to take literally and which not? Anyway I'm more interested in opinion of people that try to be logical, not interested in "because the Bible says so". Such conversions would be a total waste of time...
24-12-2012, 01:48 PM
(24-12-2012 09:17 AM)sydorenkoalex Wrote:  Lets assume there is God.
Let's not.

That's how all that crap got started, and look what happened.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post