Why people leave Mormonism/religion - comprehensive list

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Why people leave Mormonism/religion - comprehensive list
Just found this excellent list of why people leave Mormonism, and found that most of the non-Mormon specific reasons apply to religion in general, broken into categories.
http://whymormonsleave.com/wp-content/up...y-2014.pdf

Comments from former Mormons:
http://whymormonsleave.com/a-comprehensi...ds-church/

Why non-believers stay:
http://whymormonsleave.com/what-factors-...oy-church/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
27-05-2014, 06:49 AM
RE: Why people leave Mormonism/religion - comprehensive list
10. Experience Based "Reasons"

o. Damaging missionary experiences

ii. Baseball/soccer/cheeseburger baptisms

Blink ???????

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
27-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Missionaries have quotas for contacts and baptisms. They would offer the opportunity to participate in sports activities with the condition that the kid, and in some cases the family, is baptized.

Mormons are a great example of why religion should matter to atheists, where religion has tragic practical consequences. They pressure young couples to have children they can't afford, indoctrinate those children and traumatize them with cultish rules that hamstring them for life, and relegate females to servitude. All the while they wear big grins and pretend to be perfect.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
27-05-2014, 07:04 PM
(27-05-2014 06:49 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  cheeseburger baptisms

Where can I get one of those? Laugh out load

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
27-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Half a chromozone from a chimpanzee. Yep, got it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
27-05-2014, 07:40 PM
I would leave Mormonism cuz I ain't wearin' one of those freaky skinny black ties to go a-preching. They're so gay.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
27-05-2014, 09:10 PM
The valuable thing about that catalogue is that it provides a comprehensive accounting of what religion adds to life - or is expected to add to life. For all these apostates, the adding didn't add up. In the battle for mind over religion, this is terrific insight. Irrationality is only a teaspoon of the fallen souffle.

It'd be interesting to discover if there's something absent from this list, something that those who aren't apostates perceive they're getting from religion that makes apostasy impossible - for that sort of mind.
28-05-2014, 12:48 AM
I have a very close friend that is Mormon and another whom left Mormonism because he believed it to be ridiculous. It was interesting seeing the two because I remember this one conversation they had because they used to belong to the same church. My friend who was a former Mormon would point blatant flaws like how there existed no evidence for the ancient Nephite civilization that the Mormon books proclaimed and the ridiculous rules that seemed geared more towards self interest rather than anything holy.

They would debate on polygamy, politics, blood atonement, etc. I found it rather interesting and one of the first times I actually saw people actually question religion I didn't know my ex Mormon friend was an atheist. I didn't know what atheists were I just thought he wasn't Mormon but he did encourage me to learn more about religion in general.

This was a long time ago when I didn't know what I was religiously and was surrounded by this strange religion called Mormonism. Jehovah's witnesses as well whom the Mormons thought were a mockery even though they were wearing their magic underwear and are a sister religion. Catholics, whom seem all over the place to hardcore conservatives to really liberal people and finally the crazy wacko religions which speak in tongues and cast out demons and such.

In the end my Mormon friend basically ignored all the things my ex mormon friend would say. He would ignore any contradictions and would even state: "Just let me believe." That confused me then and frustrates me now. That was the day I asked, why should we believe things that are not true? That is a self disservice and I cannot live my life like that just to make myself feel better. So instead I decided to take the world for what it was instead of what I wanted it to be.

I know I am a bit off topic but my ex mormon friend actually lost his believe because of the Mormon garments. He said his parents had worn that and he thought it was ridiculous. I thought it was funny at the time and actually I still think its funny today.

I guess the Mormons are just meant to be funny. God created them for the humor and the Jehovah Witnesses to take that humor away.

In the end I do kid about the Mormons I think they are very good and friendly people. They still bother me with their firm stance against gay rights but I hope just like black skin they remove the idea and call it an inspiration from God.

Hopefully they do so soon but God should have done so a long time ago.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?