Why people need God for morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2016, 03:01 PM
(02-11-2016 02:46 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Do you have ANY other hobbies other than banging on about this same fucking topic over and over. We get it, you don't have any evidence for a God so this is your fall back. It's gotten bloody tedious bruv.

The ridiculousness of atheism, displayed multiple times in places like this, is all the evidence one would need to believe God exists.

The alternative to a belief in God, seems to be a belief in a series of absurdities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2016, 03:19 PM
RE: Why people need God for morality
(02-11-2016 12:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-11-2016 12:02 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Which god are we talking about?

A generic one, a God of some sort, regardless of what name you want to call him, or whatever additional stuff you might have to say about this God.

Quote:And that's just a small list. How do you know your god is the most moral of the other gods?

It wouldn't be a question of whether God is the most moral or not, it would be a question of whether life has an innate moral direction. Endowed with moral purpose, the sort of presupposition needed for objective morality to exist. Whether were looking at a life that has a moral direction, has a purpose, or in other words designed. Regardless of whatever else may be said about it's creator.

(02-11-2016 12:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  A generic one, a God of some sort...

There is no "generic god". The god of the bible was originally a tribal war god who would smite enemies with the wave of a hand. This god evolved and morphed into a different god. Cultures paint a portrait of a god that reflects what it's people currently need, which is why morality is so varied around the world and across time.

Muslims are horrified by the Trinity. They find it totally immoral yet Christians have no problem with it at all so there is no single innate ideal of what is moral .

In 1200 BC it was quite moral to take a woman down to the river and drowned her for being raped even if it was not her fault. If you were to transport someone from that era and land them in the morality of today they would be stunned.

Morality is just a fashion statement. It changes constantly.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
02-11-2016, 03:33 PM
(02-11-2016 03:19 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-11-2016 12:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  A generic one, a God of some sort, regardless of what name you want to call him, or whatever additional stuff you might have to say about this God.

It wouldn't be a question of whether God is the most moral or not, it would be a question of whether life has an innate moral direction. Endowed with moral purpose, the sort of presupposition needed for objective morality to exist. Whether were looking at a life that has a moral direction, has a purpose, or in other words designed. Regardless of whatever else may be said about it's creator.

(02-11-2016 12:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  A generic one, a God of some sort...

There is no "generic god". The god of the bible was originally a tribal war god who would smite enemies with the wave of a hand. This god evolved and morphed into a different god. Cultures paint a portrait of a god that reflects what it's people currently need, which is why morality is so varied around the world and across time.

Muslims are horrified by the Trinity. They find it totally immoral yet Christians have no problem with it at all so there is no single innate ideal of what is moral .

In 1200 BC it was quite moral to take a woman down to the river and drowned her for being raped even if it was not her fault. If you were to transport someone from that era and land them in the morality of today they would be stunned.

Morality is just a fashion statement. It changes constantly.

No there's a generic God, used in variety of specific stories. Nones, the none religious that tend to belief in God, tend to subscribe to a generic one. Diest tend to subscribe to a generic God.

A generic God, tends to posses the properties of God shared among a variety of religious traditions , but lacks the specific properties exclusive to one particular religion.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
02-11-2016, 03:37 PM
(02-11-2016 03:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-11-2016 02:46 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Do you have ANY other hobbies other than banging on about this same fucking topic over and over. We get it, you don't have any evidence for a God so this is your fall back. It's gotten bloody tedious bruv.

The ridiculousness of atheism, displayed multiple times in places like this, is all the evidence one would need to believe God exists.

The alternative to a belief in God, seems to be a belief in a series of absurdities.

It's hard for me to imagine anything more absurd than the things that Christians believe in. Their God created us, knowing full well that we would "sin", but still punishes us (with eternal torture!) for sinning. But wait -- there's a way out! He became man himself, and allowed us to kill him -- and that makes it all better -- but only if we eat his body and drink his blood on a regular basis. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Nothing absurd about that at all. Right.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
02-11-2016, 03:38 PM
(02-11-2016 03:19 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Morality is just a fashion statement. It changes constantly.

Yet you can take any codified rendition of moral laws and guidelines, past or present and find a great deal of commonalities irregardless of culture or age.

While there is a great deal of differences in regards to certain moral beliefs, there also a great deal of commonality as well.

02-11-2016, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2016 04:37 PM by Dark Wanderer.)

Any lurker that comes here can easily see the nutjob theist clowns that reguarly come through here and get a hell of a laugh. I know I do.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
02-11-2016, 03:42 PM

Got any evidence other than mindless assertions? Something that actually fits the fucking definition of evidence? You know something testable, demonstrable, falsifiable. Anything like that?

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
02-11-2016, 03:47 PM
(02-11-2016 03:41 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(02-11-2016 03:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The ridiculousness of atheism, displayed multiple times in places like this, is all the evidence one would need to believe God exists.

Any lurker that comes here can easily see the nutjob theist clowns that reguarly come through here and get a hell of a laugh. I know I do.

Any lurker can see that the atheists here spend a great deal more time figuring out what they don't believe in, more so than what they do believe in. Hence why the position of "lacking a belief", is so popular. When it comes to dealing with what folks here believe, more so than what they don't believe in, what you get is a sea of confusion, and absurdities. The cloister in places like this to find comfort in their bewildered state.

02-11-2016, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2016 04:07 PM by Velvet.)
(02-11-2016 03:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Any lurker can see that the atheists here spend a great deal more time figuring out what they don't believe in, more so than what they do believe in. Hence why the position of "lacking a belief", is so popular. When it comes to dealing with what folks here believe, more so than what they don't believe in, what you get is a sea of confusion, and absurdities. The cloister in places like this to find comfort in their bewildered state.

This can be what happens to someone who doesn't embrace the first pack of lies they had access to and keep constantly learning new things to refine their world view and their methods to deal with beliefs.

But I can see why someone like you couldn't possibly be confused, when you just accept to believe whatever you want to believe, without looking any further if it is actually truth, then it may be really easy to seem certain of himself, I agree.

EDIT: Btw I have a personal question to you Tomasia, don't you realize is intellectually dishonest to relentlessly propose and defend Deistic arguments to try to support a Theist position that was embraced on faith, when you don't have any argument or way to jump from a Deistic position to a Theist one?

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
[+] 2 users Like Velvet's post
02-11-2016, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2016 04:14 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
(02-11-2016 03:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Any lurker can see that the atheists here spend a great deal more time figuring out what they don't believe in, more so than what they do believe in.
The list of things atheists don't believe in is a single fucking entry.

1.) God.

The bloody end. What we believe in differs from person to person because they ONLY thing all atheists agree on is that there is no god. There are atheists who don't believe in evolution, atheists that believe lizard people run the world, that UFO's are aliens. There are liberal atheists, conservative atheists, Marxist atheists, and there are even atheists that believe morality is subjective and those who think it's objective.

(02-11-2016 03:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  When it comes to dealing with what folks here believe, more so than what they don't believe in, what you get is a sea of confusion, and absurdities.
No you don't, you're just a fucking idiot that can't understand that outside of the question of gods existence our atheism is mostly irrelevant in what we believe. Atheist is a single answer to a single question and doesn't have fuck all to say about anything other then that question. You will get confusion when you take a whole bunch of people with different beliefs throw them into a blender and say "here is what atheists believe".

(02-11-2016 03:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The cloister in places like this to find comfort in their bewildered state.
Your kind frequently believes in talking animals, global floods, and magic fruit and you want to talk about absurdities and bewilderment? Fuck off Tom.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post