Why religion is bullshit.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2012, 09:31 AM
RE: Why religion is bullshit.
You should also look deeply into cold reading, which is the process of making educated guesses about a person until they tell you enough information that you can convince them you knew their secrets all along:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2012, 09:42 AM
(14-06-2012 09:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
Quote:a) Suppose, hypothetically, that you met with someone who knew nothing about you except your first name. And this person was able to accurately name deceased family members, discuss in detail how they died, and describe intimate personal details about your relationship with these people (including people you aren’t consciously thinking about). How would you explain this? In terms of energy flow? In terms of special people who are just engineered that way? I ask because I live in India. Such kind of psychic people exist on every corner.
The only reasonable explanation I can come up with it that this particular person has been stalking me for a long time. Since they can be found on every corner, why don't you ask one of them about my relationship with my decased family members? I can tell you my name and give you a photo of me. That should suffice, shouldn't it?

Quote:b) Have you seen the movie 'The Man From Earth'? If not, you SHOULD. Some interesting ideas and a very controversial plot line centered around humanity and religion and all that.
Haven't seen it yet. I'll probably check it out tomorrow and share my opinion with you.
I would take it one step further. In order to get the best results. I would also mail a sealed letter with all of the answers to particular things in my family history I want answered. This elimates the possibility of Vosur, or me, to simply deny the psychic, even when he got the right answers. This also gives you immedaite confirmity. Also, it is never better than reading the answers right to the pyschic's face for his ego stroking, or shattering means.

Also, if you don't want to do it that way.... The best way to do it is if you just made up a person in your head.... Example p= pyschic m= me

P: the spirits are telling me that you have somebody you want me to find out about

M: I would like you to find out about BOB ( BOB doesn't really exist.)

Now if the pyschic is spewing out random shit, you have him. Since BOB doesn't exist he can't have a family tree. So you caught him. But of course you won't tell him that.

If the pyschic says that the spirits aren't talking, you have him again. He is not confident in giving you the backround beause he doesn't know.

Now if he specifically says "The spirts ( or whatever) say BOB doesn't exist.

That's when you start doing more tests.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
14-06-2012, 12:35 PM
(13-06-2012 08:44 AM)icccd.litchi Wrote:  WHAT KIND OF GOD WILL ALLOW A LARGE PORTION OF HIS PEOPLE TO BURN IN HELL WITHOUT EVEN GIVING THEM A CHANCE TO HEAR THE ''TRUTH''.

Current theology, at least where I am, no longer supports the Hell theory. Mainly it was an invention that was useful to keep new believers in line. Something new is easy to ignore, but if the person truly believed the threat of hell was enough to keep them in line.

This goes hand in hand with revelations #666 which actually stands for the roman emperor Nero.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
14-06-2012, 12:45 PM
(14-06-2012 12:35 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  
(13-06-2012 08:44 AM)icccd.litchi Wrote:  WHAT KIND OF GOD WILL ALLOW A LARGE PORTION OF HIS PEOPLE TO BURN IN HELL WITHOUT EVEN GIVING THEM A CHANCE TO HEAR THE ''TRUTH''.

Current theology, at least where I am, no longer supports the Hell theory. Mainly it was an invention that was useful to keep new believers in line. Something new is easy to ignore, but if the person truly believed the threat of hell was enough to keep them in line.

This goes hand in hand with revelations #666 which actually stands for the roman emperor Nero.
Are you a theist?

14-06-2012, 12:50 PM
(14-06-2012 12:35 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  

According to modern theology, where do non-believers go to once they die, if not to hell?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
14-06-2012, 12:59 PM
(14-06-2012 12:45 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 12:35 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  Current theology, at least where I am, no longer supports the Hell theory. Mainly it was an invention that was useful to keep new believers in line. Something new is easy to ignore, but if the person truly believed the threat of hell was enough to keep them in line.

Are you a theist?

According to modern theology, where do non-believers go to once they die, if not to hell?

As to the first one Yes for now.

The second one I havn't read yet, but from what I've read God's eternal love and forgiveness has created a loop-hole in the damnation thing. God's love is so great and He offers His forgiveness so willingly that he will for give the worst of sinners> Everyone is actually in Heaven.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

14-06-2012, 01:10 PM
(14-06-2012 12:59 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  The second one I havn't read yet, but from what I've read God's eternal love and forgiveness has created a loop-hole in the damnation thing. God's love is so great and He offers His forgiveness so willingly that he will for give the worst of sinners> Everyone is actually in Heaven.
With all due respect, that doesn't sound plausible at all. What's the point of following the 10 commandments/the teachings of Christ and believing in the existence of God if you get into heaven either way?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
14-06-2012, 01:14 PM
(14-06-2012 01:10 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 12:59 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  The second one I havn't read yet, but from what I've read God's eternal love and forgiveness has created a loop-hole in the damnation thing. God's love is so great and He offers His forgiveness so willingly that he will for give the worst of sinners> Everyone is actually in Heaven.
With all due respect, that doesn't sound plausible at all. What's the point of following the 10 commandments/the teachings of Christ and believing in the existence of God if you get into heaven either way?
Thanks, you read my mind Vosur

14-06-2012, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2012 01:22 PM by Xinoftruden.)
(14-06-2012 01:10 PM)Vosur Wrote:  

your right it doesn't make sense, but in order for God to be as forgiving as He is supposed to be this is what needs to happen. Remember that God is all knowing, what kind of God would punish someone after death for something that was set long before. God wants everyone to be with Him in Heaven.

I think that the teachings in the new testament show a more forgiving loving God. I wouldn't be surprised if he was facepalming at all of the abuse directed at the lgbt community as well as atheist. God gave us brains so that people can use them. People without religion have no bias so they can aid humanity more. Heaven is just at the end, people work for whatever cause they felt was important and at the end they go to heaven as a reward for trying.

I don't pray for anyone for that reason. As for other religions some don't have a hell or their gids are not nearly as forgiving.

14-06-2012, 01:18 PM
(14-06-2012 01:17 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 01:10 PM)Vosur Wrote:  With all due respect, that doesn't sound plausible at all. What's the point of following the 10 commandments/the teachings of Christ and believing in the existence of God if you get into heaven either way?

your right it doesn't make sense, but in order for Gid to be as forgiving as He is supposed to be this is what needs to happen. Remember that God is all knowing, what kind of God would punish someone after death for something that was set long before. God wants everyone to be with Him in Heaven.

I don't pray for anyone for that reason. As for other religions some don't have a hell or their gids are not nearly as forgiving.
can you show me source that support your assertion.