Why science is suffering from our wastefullness and how Newt Gengrich has the answer!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
19-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Why science is suffering from our wastefullness and how Newt Gengrich has the answer!
Article here.

The answer?

A moon base!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2012, 07:38 AM
RE: Why science is suffering from our wastefullness and how Newt Gengrich has the answer!
(19-03-2012 07:04 PM)kineo Wrote:  Article here.

The answer?

A moon base!

I can understand, yet not understand what he is saying. If he is implying we should go up to the moon to mine helium, that is a fine dream. Going to the moon, however, is not exactly cost effective or possible at the moment. Overall, I don't think Gengrich knows how the economy works.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
20-03-2012, 07:44 AM
RE: Why science is suffering from our wastefullness and how Newt Gengrich has the answer!
(20-03-2012 07:38 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

The answer?

A moon base!

I can understand, yet not understand what he is saying. If he is implying we should go up to the moon to mine helium, that is a fine dream. Going to the moon, however, is not exactly cost effective or possible at the moment. Overall, I don't think Gengrich knows how the economy works.

I'm sure he's got it together. I mean, he balanced 4 years of budgets when he was only Speaker for 2 of them. He's like a wizard.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
20-03-2012, 09:15 PM
(20-03-2012 07:38 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

The answer?

A moon base!

Thats stupid....with ideas that bad you can tell he is a republican from a mile away.

Just stop wasting it....PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Look how fucking simple that was.
[+] 1 user Likes mysticjbyrd's post
21-03-2012, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2012 05:22 PM by Superluminal.)
Actually mining helium could be very profitable. It's just that the kind of investment up front involved is waaay too risky at the moment.

If you did however manage to get an He3 operation going, there is enough of it on the moon that at current market value it is worth around 5 quadrillion dollars(yes I actually figured it out one day Tongue), which is more money than has ever existed in all human economies combined, although the global GDP is now at around 63 trillion so that won't last long.
21-03-2012, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2012 06:25 PM by craniumonempty.)
Related videos to this... now I should read the article...

Yeah, the helium shortage threatens to put a halt on some major work in science and medical. All because of party balloons. Thanks a lot government... Did we know about this earlier? I'm guessing we could have. It's going to suck if we have to kill the colliders because of this.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
23-03-2012, 04:12 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2012 08:57 PM by DeepThought.)
I say use hydrogen for party balloons instead. It isn't a real party without big explosions anyway.

Reminds me of the time I put sodium hydroxide in a glass jar and dumped aluminium foil into it. Filled up a large black garbage bag with hydrogen and tied a knot in it.

Attached a sparkler lit and let go. It got up about 6-7 meters before it burst into flames. I felt the intense heat radiation shining on my face for a couple secs from that though it wasn't all that spectacular visually.

You need to use the right garbage bags, some are too heavy so they wont rise. Also I doubt it will rise of the ground if you mix it with air though if you get the mix right it will explode. Wouldn't recommend it with a large black garbage bag though. Electrolysis with some tap water would be a way to get the perfect mix of o2 and h2.

My solution, bring back the Hindenburg for parties!

-----
EDIT: Disclaimer

The above is really a stupid idea and an example of me in stupid teenager mode. In case there are people reading this getting a stupid idea contagion I would recommend at least keeping vinegar handy, wearing safety goggles and gloves as I even did when I was younger and did the stupid things like the above.

At least I did stupid things and got away with them for the most part unscathed...

I suppose since fireworks are illegal/restricted in Australia us kids had to find other ways around the stupid laws we have here.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss