Why sex

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2012, 06:38 PM
RE: Why sex
On the topic, I was watching a doco on discovery the other day about marriage and it's origins.

There was a thing presented that people mate for life or at least pair up because of the vastly different roles that females and males had (in primitive), the male would hunt while the female would stay home with the kids (ok thinking about it, primitive until like 1950's) and so it is beneficial for a male to pair up with a female, makes sense.
I thought it sort of shat on marriage being purely a religious thing and so I liked it.

And thinking about it I don't know how that explains two needed for sex. I think I'll just agree with itsacow, it adds diversity and helps prevent diseases and shit.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-06-2012, 07:33 PM
RE: Why sex
(27-06-2012 06:38 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  On the topic, I was watching a doco on discovery the other day about marriage and it's origins.

There was a thing presented that people mate for life or at least pair up because of the vastly different roles that females and males had (in primitive), the male would hunt while the female would stay home with the kids (ok thinking about it, primitive until like 1950's) and so it is beneficial for a male to pair up with a female, makes sense.
I thought it sort of shat on marriage being purely a religious thing and so I liked it.

And thinking about it I don't know how that explains two needed for sex. I think I'll just agree with itsacow, it adds diversity and helps prevent diseases and shit.

Books on evolutionary psychology that I've read said that pair bonding benefited the offspring. Humans can only have so many children every few years, and they are born weak, so our species has a high male parental investment (MPI) to insure a man's kids will survive long enough to pass on their genes. The children benefit from the food and protection provided by both parents.

The video linked above mentions that early single cell creatures would join, exchange DNA, and then split. This allowed for needed variation. So sex began at an early stage.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post