Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2017, 07:41 PM

As of this post, I am currently a devoted Christian. But I've been having some thoughts recently...

My hero and role model is Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon is NOT a Christian. He's an enlightenment skeptic. He is unconvinced of the divinity of Jesus. That's about as heretical as anyone could ever be.

I am a Christian for two reasons. Reason # 1: I want a glorious afterlife. Reason # 2: I fear the wrath of God.

However, if I'm an atheist, then I wouldn't really fear anything because I would be unconvinced of God's existence.

But the thing is... Why should I be an atheist? How could I be sure that there is no God?

According to Blaise Pascal, it is a much safer bet to believe in God. And with that said, why be an atheist?

In short, what are some good reasons for being an atheist? Will you list things for me, please? Point me to an article? Or a book?

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm all over the place. I'm having a hard time gathering my thoughts right now for whatever reason. lol
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Zombocalypse's post
01-05-2017, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 07:52 PM by jennybee.)
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
Except Pascal leaves out all the other millions of gods and goddesses that people have believed in over time. If you are going to follow his philosophy of thinking, then you should really worship all gods and goddesses to be safe and to truly cover yourself. You realize all your free time would be devoted to this endeavor because millions of gods have existed since the dawn of time.

Why be an atheist? To think for yourself and to not live your one life based on what someone else told you was true. To live in reality. To embrace science and reason. To live your life on your own terms. To educate yourself on where religions came from and to have the courage to look behind the curtain. To be truly free.
[+] 12 users Like jennybee's post
01-05-2017, 07:48 PM
1. Babies taste great, tender & juicy meat Drooling
2. Sundays are fun-days, no wasting time inside a church. Banana_zorro
3. Babies taste...wait, I already said that. Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
01-05-2017, 07:51 PM
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  How could I be sure that there is no God?

How can you be sure there is one? And, most importantly, how can you be sure you've got the right one? Oh, I know, because you just happened to have been born in the right place, eh? Won the cosmic jackpot, so to speak. How convenient for you (even if it sucks major time for all those Hindu and Muslim losers, who are going to burn in hell forever, for having the gall not to have been born in the place with *the* right god. You cant say fairer than that, can you? The thing is, an amoral atheist like me, can and does say this is the epitome of unfairness.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 8 users Like Vera's post
01-05-2017, 07:52 PM
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Why should I be an atheist? How could I be sure that there is no God?

According to Blaise Pascal, it is a much safer bet to believe in God. And with that said, why be an atheist?

In short, what are some good reasons for being an atheist? Will you list things for me, please? Point me to an article? Or a book?

You will find that most of us are atheists not because we want to be but because intellectual honesty led us to be. Many of us have read the Bible and found too many contradictions and illogical or erroneous assumptions for it to be convincing. We see consciousness as brain-dependent, so we have no reason to believe in any afterlife. We think the God concept is not only unproven by any of the standard arguments, but makes no logical sense. We don't see morality or practical humans societies as needing religious assumptions as a basis. And so on.

If you stick around you will hear all these points discussed in detail.

One of my favorite books on atheistic perspectives is The Quotable Atheist. It's also fun and relatively easy to read.
[+] 15 users Like Thoreauvian's post
01-05-2017, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 07:59 PM by Vera.)
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  He's an enlightenment skeptic. He is unconvinced of the divinity of Jesus. That's about as heretical as anyone could ever be.

As heretical as anyone brainwashed with your particular brand of brain poison can ever be. Let's ask a Jew, a Muslim and a Buddhist what *they* think of this "epitome" of heresy.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
01-05-2017, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 08:08 PM by Larai19.)
Well, let me start by first saying that you aren't the first to feel this way and many here can relate to the struggle of deconversion and the doubts I imagine you currently have, myself included.

I was terrified of hanging up my hat when I realized enough was enough and it was a long time before I felt confident in my disbelief even though I knew I no longer believed.

I'm happy to see you quoting Pascal but I do feel as though he is the one who messes up in this instance, if nihilism is correct (and there is plenty of reason to think it is from a neurological standpoint), and there is no inherent meaning to the world would you not be missing out on knowledge if you decided to play it safe? How about experiences? Do you deny yourself of anything because of your religion? Think about it and answer yourself honestly. Do you have any prejudices? Do you have any fears? Wouldn't it be better to live without them?

What if there is no afterlife and this is your only shot at life, why risk living life to it's fullest for a God who doesn't respect you enough to empirically prove to you that he exists? If you would like to explain what exactly you believe as a Christian I would tell you why I do not believe it specifically because I don't like to assume that you believe in anything you don't express. Smile

Quick Edit:
I have a ton of book recommendations on atheism that would, probably, articulate my views on this matter better and would probably give you some new things to think about that you haven't already (they did for me.)
[+] 4 users Like Larai19's post
01-05-2017, 08:11 PM
I can tell you many great things about being an Atheist but I cant tell you what you should be, that is something you have to come up with yourself. Just keep questioning, keep thinking.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 4 users Like JDog554's post
01-05-2017, 08:13 PM
(01-05-2017 07:57 PM)Larai19 Wrote:  Well, let me start by first saying that you aren't the first to feel this way and many here can relate to the struggle of deconversion and the doubts I imagine you currently have, myself included.

I was terrified of hanging up my hat when I realized enough was enough and it was a long time before I felt confident in my disbelief even though I knew I no longer believed.

I'm happy to see you quoting Pascal but I do feel as though he is the one who messes up in this instance, if nihilism is correct (and there is plenty of reason to think it is from a neurological standpoint), and there is no inherent meaning to the world would you not be missing out on knowledge if you decided to play it safe? How about experiences? Do you deny yourself of anything because of your religion? Think about it and answer yourself honestly. Do you have any prejudices? Do you have any fears? Wouldn't it be better to live without them?

What if there is no afterlife and this is your only shot at life, why risk living life to it's fullest for a God who doesn't respect you enough to empirically prove to you that he exists? If you would like to explain what exactly you believe as a Christian I would tell you why I do not believe it specifically because I don't like to assume that you believe in anything you don't express. Smile

Quick Edit:
I have a ton of book recommendations on atheism that would, probably, articulate my views on this matter better and would probably give you some new things to think about that you haven't already (they did for me.)

Yes, please. Book recommendations are much appreciated.

As a Christian, I believe in an afterlife. But not in the traditional sense. I believe, as do many others, that we don't immediately go to our eternal destination (heaven or hell) when we die. Rather, we sleep in the grave until the so-called resurrection.

I believe that Jesus died for our sins.

I believe that God exists, but I guess that's a given...

What do you think?
[+] 1 user Likes Zombocalypse's post
01-05-2017, 08:18 PM
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Why should I be an atheist?

Because it's the most reasonable position given the complete lack of evidence for the existence of a god.

Quote:As of this post, I am currently a devoted Christian. But I've been having some thoughts recently...

That'll do it. Thumbsup

Quote:My hero and role model is Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon is NOT a Christian. He's an enlightenment skeptic. He is unconvinced of the divinity of Jesus. That's about as heretical as anyone could ever be.

Challenge accepted.

Quote:I am a Christian for two reasons. Reason # 1: I want a glorious afterlife.

There are many things I might want to be true. The question is whether or not there is a good reason to believe they are true. I want several million dollars in my bank account but I don't believe they are there. Neither does my bank.

Quote:Reason # 2: I fear the wrath of God.

Do you fear the wrath of Voldemort or Darth Vader or Sauron? How about the Wrath of Khan?

Quote:However, if I'm an atheist, then I wouldn't really fear anything because I would be unconvinced of God's existence.

Atheists can still be afraid of many things, including some irrational fears. You seem to be phrasing this oddly though. If somebody told me they were going to stop being afraid of spiders by not believing in them I'd say they were nuts. I don't think you can go about it that way.

Quote:But the thing is... Why should I be an atheist? How could I be sure that there is no God?

The better question is whether or not there is reasonable evidence to believe that there is a god. Are you certain there is no bigfoot or loch ness monster or aliens flying around Roswell? Given the lack of good evidence it is reasonable to not believe in any of them even though you also may not be able to prove that they don't exist.

Quote:According to Blaise Pascal, it is a much safer bet to believe in God. And with that said, why be an atheist?

Pascal's Wager is flawed just about every way possible. Why don't you believe in Allah, or Zeus, or any of the thousands of other gods that have been proposed? Why aren't you afraid that if you aren't good you will be reincarnated as a bug in your next life? You can't believe in all of them because they are contradictory and there's no reason to pick any one of them over the others.

Quote:In short, what are some good reasons for being an atheist? Will you list things for me, please? Point me to an article? Or a book?

The only reason to be an atheist is if you don't believe that a god exists because the evidence just isn't there. If you read up on the history of Christianity you'll see how it evolved over centuries with input from many other religions. Judaism is the same. Every religion out there is a very human invention with no good justification behind it.

Quote:I'm sorry if I seem like I'm all over the place. I'm having a hard time gathering my thoughts right now for whatever reason. lol

No rush. it's a difficult process to change the thinking patterns you've developed over years.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 8 users Like unfogged's post