Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2017, 04:06 PM
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
(02-05-2017 12:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 12:11 PM)Vera Wrote:  Case in point. You should be an atheist because the alternative is to be someone as blatantly dishonest as Tomasia. Drinking Beverage

Translation: You should be an atheist to win brownie points among atheist members of TTA.

Wow, just wow, proof of weak arguments if you have to resort to such patently absurd comments, what about our well respected theist members here ? No one is forcing any theist to come here and stay. Only a religious nutter like you would come here arrogantly expecting special treatment, and whining when they dont get it,do you suppose atheists who behaved as you do would last five minutes on a christian forum ? No because the arguments are so weak the faithful cannot stand criticism. Asshat.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like adey67's post
02-05-2017, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 04:16 PM by kim.)
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  Why should I be an atheist?

Why should you be atheist?
No one cares if you are or you are not.

If you happen to not find evidence for, or reason for there to be a god governing all of life well, that is entirely your business.

If you want someone to convince you there isn't a god well, hate to break it to you ... the only person who can convince you of that is you. Drinking Beverage

"Deciding to believe", because you fear something about the thing you believe - I don't know how that even works, frankly. If you don't believe that a thing exists, it would only stand to reason that there is nothing to fear from it. Isn't that better odds than Pascal's wager?

Speaking of Pascal's wager - hedging one's bet. I suppose that's like putting half your chips on black and half on red to break even. Nice... but, not really faith, is it?
I mean... not faith like that guy who put all his money on 11 because of the whisper in his ear ...? Surely there is the right hand of god, am I right?

From what I've read of these gods' divinely inspired books, I'm thinking they don't exactly grade on a curve. I'm gonna bet, while the "break evens" might not exactly get the fiery furnace, they probably aren't going to get one of the penthouse clouds, either. So much for heaven, eh Pascal?

Don't count on anyone to change your mind about believing or not believing something - no matter what.
Belief is up to you - whether you do or don't - I couldn't care less. Drinking Beverage

Unless, you are mentally troubled by it. This is understandable.
If that is the case, you came to a good place to work through that.

Welcome to the forum. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
02-05-2017, 04:16 PM
(02-05-2017 02:59 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 02:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  Sorry, amigo, but if you're wrong then what *you* are calling true, is not true. And it might not matter to you - you might think that unless your life is eternal sucking up to some crappy self-absorbed God then it's got no meaning.

As I said, if I'm wrong, it literally does not matter. The truth here (Atheism, if I'm wrong) literally has no value. It literally has no material benefit what so ever, beyond less sneers by folks such as yourself, and a few more TTA rep points. There's no material gain from being an atheist for me, psychologically, professionally, socially etc....

SO why should I choose the option, that literally has no value.

This is not to say it offer no material value to you, I'm sure it does, I mean why else would you be an atheist. It perhaps makes you feel smart, lets you feel a part of a group of people you want to be a part of, helps you feel protected from other groups you don't like, etc...

I'd be an atheist because I believe it is true, after examining evidence. Not out of what is expedient. I might *pretend* to be a theist if the negative consequences of not doing so were too great - so ja, you guys probably long for the glory days of the inquisition, no?

You on the other hand seem to think that you can choose what you believe. Which... I'm pretty sure you can't. Hope you enjoy that eternity licking your God's butt.

I will enjoy my life doing meaningful stuff, causing a bit of shit with dickheads like yourself, and generally having a thousand times more fun than you prude wankers.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
02-05-2017, 04:39 PM
(02-05-2017 03:42 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  The more incorrect or false things that you believe, the more likely you are to experience negative effects in your life.

False beliefs can have positive effects on your life, and true beliefs can have negative effects on your life, and vice versa. It all depends on the actual beliefs, and the actual effects those beliefs have had on your life.

Regardless, here we’re referring to a particular set of beliefs, that revolve around theism vs atheism. There is no net positive effect to be gained by me, by being an atheist. If you imagine there would be, I would love to hear them. In fact if my parents were atheists, didn’t raise me in religious home, etc.. the end result would not have been a net positive.

Quote:So you base your viewpoint on material gain, rather than a desire to understand the truth.

I’m a biological creature, living in a material world. All of our desires are in pursuit of material gain, whether that be psychological, professional, political, social, etc…. If you think you pursue truth for some immaterial purpose, you should be questioning your atheism.

But lets ask you the question here. Why would a biological creature desire truth, if not for some material benefit? Why would evolution select for such a desire, if it wasn't for a material benefit?

Quote:You do not choose your beliefs, you ignorant ass. A person becomes convinced of the truth of their beliefs for a variety of reasons, good or bad. But you cannot choose your beliefs. That's called self delusion.

Just like in Pascals Wager. It’s not matter of whether you can actually choose your beliefs, it’s just a matter of treating it as a such, so you can consider the consequences of it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
02-05-2017, 04:40 PM
(02-05-2017 12:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 12:11 PM)Vera Wrote:  Case in point. You should be an atheist because the alternative is to be someone as blatantly dishonest as Tomasia. Drinking Beverage

Translation: You should be an atheist to win brownie points among atheist members of TTA.

Respectfully, I don't think that's what she's saying at all. She just finds that your arguments often lack a certain...not sure what word I'm looking for here. Or at least that's my interpretation.

Also, civility isn't 'brownie points'. Vera and I had a disagreement early on in this thread, so she sought clarification of what I was saying, I apologized that it came out so badly in comparison to my intent, she accepted that was what happened. Yet I'm still a theist; one doesn't have to be an atheist on TTA to be treated with civility, at least in my opinion/less experience here than you have.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Shai Hulud's post
02-05-2017, 04:47 PM
(02-05-2017 02:59 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 02:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  Sorry, amigo, but if you're wrong then what *you* are calling true, is not true. And it might not matter to you - you might think that unless your life is eternal sucking up to some crappy self-absorbed God then it's got no meaning.

As I said, if I'm wrong, it literally does not matter. The truth here (Atheism, if I'm wrong) literally has no value. It literally has no material benefit what so ever, beyond less sneers by folks such as yourself, and a few more TTA rep points. There's no material gain from being an atheist for me, psychologically, professionally, socially etc....

SO why should I choose the option, that literally has no value.

This is not to say it offer no material value to you, I'm sure it does, I mean why else would you be an atheist. It perhaps makes you feel smart, lets you feel a part of a group of people you want to be a part of, helps you feel protected from other groups you don't like, etc...

It matters to me. It has value to me, and minorities who are frequently abused by religious folks who think their truth is the only truth because their shitty religion tells them so.

It actually matters because how you live impacts other people as well, and if you're a complete religious dick then you've possibly affected the entire course of someone else's life.

The truth has real and immediate value. Maybe not in some bullshit eternal way you're thinking of, but in a very real and very important way.
[+] 5 users Like Emma's post
02-05-2017, 04:51 PM
"Substance", Shai. They lack substance.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Why should I be an atheist?
(02-05-2017 04:47 PM)Emma Wrote:  It matters to me. It has value to me, and minorities who are frequently abused by religious folks who think their truth is the only truth because their shitty religion tells them so.

Truth is exclusive by nature. If something is true then all beliefs and views that contradict it are false. An atheistic worldview and competing theistic ones can't both be true. And by that very nature, adherents to them hold there is true and the other is false.

And while I know many people many christians who are exclusive monotheist, I don't know any personally who are abusive to minorities, probably because most of them are minorities themselves, and were born in countries where Christians are a minority, in which they themselves have been victims of abuse by those in power.

Quote:The truth has real and immediate value. Maybe not in some bullshit eternal way you're thinking of, but in a very real and very important way.

Some truths have real and immediate value depending on context, some don't. In this particular context the truth about your eye color, gender is inconsequential. Even if i thought you had blues eyes, and I ended up being wrong, it would be of no consequence, real or immediate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
02-05-2017, 05:19 PM
Now, now, Shai, don't you go try and spoil his sick fantasy of being some sort of online martyr for Allah, sorry, wrong fictional monster, Yahweh and Jesus. Of course he's disliked, nay "hated by everyone because of Me" and not because of his slippery dishonesty and lack of any substance whatsoever. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
02-05-2017, 05:29 PM
Its times like this I wish I was an admin for a day, there would definitely be a solitary purge. Drinking Beverage
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post