Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2017, 09:03 PM
(02-05-2017 08:24 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 07:43 PM)treefireguy Wrote:  Visit Reykjavik, Iceland. Go to one of the local gyms and hang out in the geothermal pools for a day. Tell some of the locals your religious beliefs. If you can stand the shame, odd looks, laughter and ridicule, then stay religious. If not, and if you are too ashamed to talk about it amongst people so obviously intellectually superior, welcome to the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the other hand, a lot of these Icelanders still believe in elves. And yet they still have the gall to laugh at us Easter Bunnyists.

Uhh....Elves are real, duh.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like treefireguy's post
02-05-2017, 09:10 PM
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
Hi everyone. I just want to say thank you to everyone in here who gave me a meaningful response. And also thank you for the youtube and book recommendations.
[+] 6 users Like Zombocalypse's post
02-05-2017, 09:50 PM
(02-05-2017 08:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  You’re above response seems to be an attempt to absolve you of your original claim.

No. I was stating that belief without evidence leads to gullibility which leads to negative effects. I'm sorry that you can't grasp this.

(02-05-2017 08:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote: I have been researching these subjects for over five years now.

So you’ve been researching Pascals wager for several years,

Wow. Really? "these subjects" shrinks to Pascal's Wager?

(02-05-2017 08:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Secondly don’t change what I said.

Like you just did with "these subjects"??? Fucking Hypocrite.

(02-05-2017 08:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I’m also guessing you avoided the wikipedia summary as well.

Nope. I read it. I can't make apologetics better. Theists use Pascal, or "What if you're wrong" constantly.

(02-05-2017 08:47 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm guess the Wikipedia writers here are lieing too?

I said that Pascal's Wager is considered an apologetic.
I quoted the relevant passages that supported that statement.

Pascal's Wager is used as an apologetic by theists. If they misuse it, it is not my problem. Talk to them.

I know that the wager is flawed. I wasn't arguing that it was valid.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
02-05-2017, 09:52 PM
(02-05-2017 08:52 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I noticed you avoided the million dollar question for the night. Let's see if we can muster an honest answer out of you, by repeating it:

Nope. You've wasted enough of my time and twisted enough of my words.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
02-05-2017, 11:29 PM
(02-05-2017 08:57 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 07:06 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Then in that case, perhaps you shouldn't be complaining about pushback.

You have no complaints from me, pushback to your heart's content. I think more people are actually irritated by my emotional indifference to their negative responses, then some non-existent complaining and whining by me over them, lol.

Remember this post the next time someone takes you over the coals and you snivel about the woes of a Christian on an atheist forum, then.

I've seen you before complain about being thrown to the lions, figuratively. The indifference you express here makes me doubt all the more your complaints when you do lay them. It's as if you prefer crawling up the cross of your own devising.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
03-05-2017, 12:16 AM
Well kids, what we've learned is that Tommy turns everything he touches into shit Smile Congratulations Tommy, another victory for Christ! They sure must love you up in heaven.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
03-05-2017, 12:52 AM
Popcorn

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
03-05-2017, 12:56 AM
To the OP

Honestly.... I'm not sure you should be an Atheist. Now hear me out on this cause, I'm not totally crazy saying this as an Atheist myself, I don't think anyway. I've said this before to people, either you deal with reality, and by default are an Atheist. Or you prefer to live in fantasy land to coddle your emotions.

If you're incapable of logic, or rational thought, then I don't personally want you to become an Atheist, in my mind it's prolly better you remain a christian. And my reason for saying so is this. If you abandon christianity based on some irrational emotional plea (and I've known a few Atheists who have come to lack of belief for this reason, mainly they came to this by reading the bible and realizing how reprehensible the book really is, but never could deal with facts or reality or logical thought), Then you are prone to picking up all kinds of wild asinine faith based ideologies. Like... Social Justice for instance. Now on individual issues I may agree with social justice folks on many points. For rational logical reasons. BUT they've taken things to a dogmatic religious zealot like attitude that is as dangerous if not more dangerous than christianity. And since I tend to be internally compelled to call bullshit, and correct lies and errors when I see it, they hate me as much as any chrsitain does (Also all the Social Justice proponents I've met think that emotions are far more important than facts or reality, which drives me up the fucking wall, and when I tell them that they need to use logic and reason IN ADDITION to emotions they get pissy and start demonizing me. And HOLY FUCKING SHIT if I correct any false data they try to be using with demonstrably accurate information all hell breaks loose. I don't like people who lie, ESPECIALLY when I mostly agree with them, and Social Justice folks do have a lot of common ground with me, until they go bat shit crazy and lie to justify their points. Hell they even lie when the factual data would be enough to back their point, but they just have to demonize everyone not an exact fucking clone of them, mindless fucking drones. I'm sick of it).

Knowing this, why the hell would I suggest you become an Atheist? You need to figure this shit out for yourself. Educate yourself. And if you can realize the difference between fact and fantasy. If you can recognize and understand cognitive dissonance, and other such concepts. Then in my mind by default you'll be an Atheist. No conversion necessary. But if you continue to think your emotions are everything, and logic is just too hard, or facts hurt your feelings. Then no. I personally don't want you to make any move that might make you more dangerous/crazy than you already may be.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
03-05-2017, 01:00 AM
(03-05-2017 12:56 AM)JesseB Wrote:  To the OP

Honestly.... I'm not sure you should be an Atheist. Now hear me out on this cause, I'm not totally crazy saying this as an Atheist myself, I don't think anyway. I've said this before to people, either you deal with reality, and by default are an Atheist. Or you prefer to live in fantasy land to coddle your emotions.

If you're incapable of logic, or rational thought, then I don't personally want you to become an Atheist, in my mind it's prolly better you remain a christian. And my reason for saying so is this. If you abandon christianity based on some irrational emotional plea (and I've known a few Atheists who have come to lack of belief for this reason, mainly they came to this by reading the bible and realizing how reprehensible the book really is, but never could deal with facts or reality or logical thought), Then you are prone to picking up all kinds of wild asinine faith based ideologies. Like... Social Justice for instance. Now on individual issues I may agree with social justice folks on many points. For rational logical reasons. BUT they've taken things to a dogmatic religious zealot like attitude that is as dangerous if not more dangerous than christianity. And since I tend to be internally compelled to call bullshit, and correct lies and errors when I see it, they hate me as much as any chrsitain does (Also all the Social Justice proponents I've met think that emotions are far more important than facts or reality, which drives me up the fucking wall, and when I tell them that they need to use logic and reason IN ADDITION to emotions they get pissy and start demonizing me. And HOLY FUCKING SHIT if I correct any false data they try to be using with demonstrably accurate information all hell breaks loose. I don't like people who lie, ESPECIALLY when I mostly agree with them, and Social Justice folks do have a lot of common ground with me, until they go bat shit crazy and lie to justify their points. Hell they even lie when the factual data would be enough to back their point, but they just have to demonize everyone not an exact fucking clone of them, mindless fucking drones. I'm sick of it).

Knowing this, why the hell would I suggest you become an Atheist? You need to figure this shit out for yourself. Educate yourself. And if you can realize the difference between fact and fantasy. If you can recognize and understand cognitive dissonance, and other such concepts. Then in my mind by default you'll be an Atheist. No conversion necessary. But if you continue to think your emotions are everything, and logic is just too hard, or facts hurt your feelings. Then no. I personally don't want you to make any move that might make you more dangerous/crazy than you already may be.

Totalic Authoritarian Dictators on the left, Totalic Authoritarian Dictators on the right....

What's a fucking anti authoritarian like me to do.... Either side wins I fucking loose (And both sides would try to kill me as I'm anti authoritarian, it's the same with religious authoritarians too. Fuck this shit I just wanna live happy and freeeee).

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
03-05-2017, 05:01 AM
(02-05-2017 09:52 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(02-05-2017 08:52 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I noticed you avoided the million dollar question for the night. Let's see if we can muster an honest answer out of you, by repeating it:

Nope. You've wasted enough of my time and twisted enough of my words.

Ah okay, I didn't twist you words. You claimed that most desires, are desires for well being. Yet you can't answer whether your desire for truth, is also a desire for well-being.

It's always interesting when atheists start to dodge questions, because they dug their own grave.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."