Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2017, 10:38 AM
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
(03-05-2017 08:35 AM)Alla Wrote:  
Zombocalypse Wrote:According to Blaise Pascal, it is a much safer bet to believe in God. And with that said, why be an atheist?
No, it is not safer.
You might believe in wrong god.

Cthulhu's corollary to Pascal's Rule.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
03-05-2017, 11:08 AM
(03-05-2017 10:09 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Atheism is a religion like not playing golf is a hobby

I am very familiar with that hobby, because what I do on a golf course probably isn't really considered golf. It's more like "go try to find the ball you just hit".
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
03-05-2017, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2017 11:41 AM by Tomasia.)
(03-05-2017 09:02 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Gullibility arises from believing shit without evidence. You keep thinking anecdote is evidence. Stop doing that. And stop arguing just to argue.

The irony.

My views are informed by a variety of studies regarding how minds process information, biases, etc..

While your pyschological claim about gullibility is ancedectol, as well as wrong. Gullibility has to do with interpersonal trust, and emotional factors. If I don't trust you, I'm unlikely to believe whatever shit you try to push evidence based or not. A lack of good father figure, good parental influences, might get you fall for a abusive, but sweet talking suitor.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-05-2017, 12:32 PM
(03-05-2017 11:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 09:02 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Gullibility arises from believing shit without evidence. You keep thinking anecdote is evidence. Stop doing that. And stop arguing just to argue.

The irony.

My views are informed by a variety of studies regarding how minds process information, biases, etc..
Cite them. You wouldn't know irony if it fucked you in the arse.

Quote:While your pyschological claim about gullibility is ancedectol, as well as wrong. Gullibility has to do with interpersonal trust, and emotional factors. If I don't trust you, I'm unlikely to believe whatever shit you try to push evidence based or not. A lack of good father figure, good parental influences, might get you fall for a abusive, but sweet talking suitor.
What kind of dickhead are you, really?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
03-05-2017, 12:38 PM
(03-05-2017 11:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

The irony.

While your pyschological claim about gullibility is ancedectol, as well as wrong. Gullibility has to do with interpersonal trust, and emotional factors. If I don't trust you, I'm unlikely to believe whatever shit you try to push evidence based or not. A lack of good father figure, good parental influences, might get you fall for a abusive, but sweet talking suitor.

You made a wonderful disguise... Freud.

"I think part of the appeal of mathematical logic is that the formulas look mysterious - you write backward Es!" - Hilary Putnam
03-05-2017, 01:24 PM
(03-05-2017 07:51 AM)Emma Wrote:  I do know some Christians who are abusive to minorities. Who have been abusive to me particularly in the name of their religion.

There’s over 2 billions Christians in the world, composed of pretty much every cultural, ethnic, political, economic persuasion, etc.. I have never abused anyone in the name of my religion, nor has anyone I know, or anyone a part of my community. Nor am I, or my community accountable for the actions of those who treated you poorly. Are they capable of abuse? Sure, no more than you are.

Quote:If you're wrong- that falsehood has real and immediate impact.

If I’m wrong, it has no real nor immediate negative impact. Perhaps if your abuser is wrong, it may have for him, but I’m not him/her.

Quote:Unless, of course, you're simply a sociopath and you don't care who you fuck along the way as long as you "get yours”.

Again stop projecting your experience with a particular set of christians onto others. Christianity hasn’t led me to screw anyone over. So siding with unbelief, is not going to lower the number of people I abuse.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-05-2017, 01:27 PM
(03-05-2017 12:32 PM)morondog Wrote:  
Quote:While your pyschological claim about gullibility is ancedectol, as well as wrong. Gullibility has to do with interpersonal trust, and emotional factors. If I don't trust you, I'm unlikely to believe whatever shit you try to push evidence based or not. A lack of good father figure, good parental influences, might get you fall for a abusive, but sweet talking suitor.
Err?

Pointing out that someone's claim is ancedectol, and wrong is dickish?

03-05-2017, 02:28 PM
(03-05-2017 01:24 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 07:51 AM)Emma Wrote:  I do know some Christians who are abusive to minorities. Who have been abusive to me particularly in the name of their religion.

There’s over 2 billions Christians in the world, composed of pretty much every cultural, ethnic, political, economic persuasion, etc.. I have never abused anyone in the name of my religion, nor has anyone I know, or anyone a part of my community. Nor am I, or my community accountable for the actions of those who treated you poorly. Are they capable of abuse? Sure, no more than you are.

If you are wrong, then the very religion that people like you espouse is abusive. The bible teaches people that being gay is sinful, and that people should be stoned to death by homosexual sex. That slavery is acceptable. Etc. Ugh- no, fuck that shit.

You might think that you're innocent of abuse. Perhaps it's more insidious than hitting someone or yelling slurs at them?

For example- a person can grow up in a Christian family and slowly grow a deep sense of self-loathing because they learn that they are so very guilty of sin and their sinful nature will never allow them to stop. But they must stop- they must repent of their sin to accept salvation. You might not personally care about homosexuality- but the bible does. And you represent that book when you call yourself a Christian. And when children grow up in an environment where this is a background message, self-loathing and depression can easily result. Especially when they are gay, or bi, or trans, or anything outside the norm that Christianity and the Bible don't know how to deal with properly.

This isn't completely what I mean when I say that I've been abused by Christians. I've personally experienced additional abuse on top of this.

But it is this background radiation of bigotry that results from religions like Christianity that make Pascal's Wager sound so absurd to me. The abuse is much more silent and present than you probably realize. I know Christians who are really good people, and that I love dearly. I know they aren't abusers. But I do think that this environment is very harmful.

Quote:
Quote:If you're wrong- that falsehood has real and immediate impact.

If I’m wrong, it has no real nor immediate negative impact. Perhaps if your abuser is wrong, it may have for him, but I’m not him/her.

See above- yes, if you're wrong, you can have a very real and immediate negative impact on others. And you probably don't even realize it.

Quote:
Quote:Unless, of course, you're simply a sociopath and you don't care who you fuck along the way as long as you "get yours”.

Again stop projecting your experience with a particular set of christians onto others. Christianity hasn’t led me to screw anyone over. So siding with unbelief, is not going to lower the number of people I abuse.

I just don't get the picture that you truly understand or even ever can.
[+] 5 users Like Emma's post
03-05-2017, 02:29 PM
(03-05-2017 01:27 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 12:32 PM)morondog Wrote:  What kind of dickhead are you, really?
Err?

Dude you're a christian, anecdotal is your middle name. Drinking Beverage
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
03-05-2017, 02:49 PM
(03-05-2017 12:32 PM)morondog Wrote:  

(03-05-2017 01:27 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 12:32 PM)morondog Wrote:  What kind of dickhead are you, really?
Err?

Bolded is you, in your charming way, implying that HoC has some problem with father figures or some such utter bullshit. Don't go playing innocent. This is not the first time you've played armchair psychoanalyst.

You do it purely because you're a cunt, and because you think somehow we'll forget what shit arguments you make.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 9 users Like morondog's post