Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2017, 09:51 PM
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
(03-05-2017 07:38 AM)Naielis Wrote:  
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  I am a Christian for two reasons. Reason # 1: I want a glorious afterlife. Reason # 2: I fear the wrath of God.

I never understand people who have such subjectivist epistemology. How do you refrain from fearing every possible evil demon that wants to eat you alive? Why not fear Darth Vader? No reason not to believe in him either. If you're going to ask for reasons to not believe in God, at least be consistent. Ask for reasons not to believe in anything. You'll arrive at a contradictory mess of a worldview, believing everything you can't falsify. And you'll be scared shitless of Darth Vader (that Rogue One hallway scene...).

I'd just like to point out, some theists are terrified of Harry Potter.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like JesseB's post
04-05-2017, 12:09 AM
That's none of my business and, frankly, I don't care if you wish to squander your only existence in pursuit of a pipe-dream. I have no personal stake in your life. Why you should personally believe or not believe is a question only YOU can answer.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” (Thomas Paine)
[+] 6 users Like Gwaithmir's post
04-05-2017, 12:14 AM
(04-05-2017 12:09 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  That's none of my business and, frankly, I don't care if you wish to squander your only existence in pursuit of a pipe-dream. I have no personal stake in your life. Why you should personally believe or not believe is a question only YOU can answer.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” (Thomas Paine)

That is one awesome quote.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
04-05-2017, 06:38 AM
This has got to be the most idiotic thing I have read from a theist in......at least a few days.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
04-05-2017, 06:50 AM
(04-05-2017 06:38 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  This has got to be the most idiotic thing I have read from a theist in......at least a few days.

Which thing?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
04-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Atheism selling points

We have cool t-shirts.
If there is something you don't understand, an atheist group near you will point you to the internet, a book store or your local university.
If you are tired of giving away 10% of your hard earned money to the church, an atheist near you will gladly accept it.

Sunday mornings can be spent the way the god of chloroform intended. (Waking up hung over wondering where you are.)

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
04-05-2017, 02:30 PM
(02-05-2017 09:07 AM)Grauwyler Wrote:  I've always felt atheism to be more of a conclusion than a decision. Lots of great feedback on the OP, but I don't know many who can "just decide" to believe whatever.

Yep. I was terrified, losing my faith, but lost it I did, because no matter the fear, no matter the threats, my 12-year-old brain simply could not decide to believe anyway and cover the cost.

I didn't decide upon my atheism any more than I decided that gravity works. It was simply a fact that I had to come to grips with.

Fortunately, I was raised by parents who, though religious in one measure or another, did not program me, but rather taught me to think for myself. Only thus did I avoid the cognitive dissonance of the believer who cries at a funeral or proclaims the "miracle" of one toddler surviving an air-crash which killed 154 others.

I know that life, and death, are random events, and that it's better for me to simply accept what I cannot control. This wasn't any decision of mine. It was compelled by observing the facts on the ground.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
04-05-2017, 02:41 PM
(03-05-2017 07:23 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  [...] with his humiliating death at the hands of the Romans. [...]

Forgive my pointing out the obvious, but his death is the apex of their faith, and not humiliating at all. The entire point of the story is that the flaws and failures of men led them to crucify their Redeemer.

Where is the humiliation? In the eyes of men? Even as the story itself points out the flawed nature of human judgement?

Trying to win this argument, you're losing sight of the message you wish to impart. Ah well ... horses for courses.
04-05-2017, 02:58 PM
(03-05-2017 07:14 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 06:56 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  Televangelists? Any atheists sending money to them?

No, they're sending money to Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Margaret O'hair, Richard Carrier, The Rational Response Squad.

They actually provided services for the charge. None of those folks ever promised me anything aside from their own opinions. They ain't promising to fix my broken body, slapping me on the head, and watching me walk away on the shoulders of others only to collapse in the parking lot. At most they promise a book or a speech, same thing your little preachers deliver, but do your preachers deliver anything other than speech? Televangelistas promise healing in return for donations. Do they deliver?

That's right, they don't. And they can't. Because they make promises based on bullshit. That means that this trope of yours is a false equivalency.

For the record, I've never given a dime to any atheist listed, and I've gone out of my way to take swipes at RRS, who are indeed using atheism for financial gain. I detest Brian and Kelly for the cocksuckers that they are.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
04-05-2017, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 03:15 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  In short, what are some good reasons for being an atheist? Will you list things for me, please?

If you are used to the hard sell of religion, you won't find anything comparable from atheists. We don't promise miracles or an afterlife in heaven to make converts.

We will only tell you how such promises are based on fantasies.

In other words, the only reason you should listen to atheists is if you want to find out what is true by considering alternative viewpoints.

As for being an atheist, that only comes after you are convinced that what we told you was true.
[+] 8 users Like Thoreauvian's post