Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2017, 03:55 PM
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
(04-05-2017 11:48 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Atheism selling points

We have cool t-shirts.
If there is something you don't understand, an atheist group near you will point you to the internet, a book store or your local university.
If you are tired of giving away 10% of your hard earned money to the church, an atheist near you will gladly accept it.

Sunday mornings can be spent the way the god of chloroform intended. (Waking up hung over wondering where you are.)

Downside is not being fucked by the pastor in the vestry or if you're a bloke not fucking the pastor in the vestry Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
04-05-2017, 04:10 PM
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  How could I be sure that there is no God?

How could you be sure that there is a God? Or the god of YOUR religion is true? Or what is the proof that any of the Gods mentioned in thousands of years old books are true? This is 2017. We human beings know the nature and its mechanism far better than we used to know thousands of years ago. Almost all (if not all) the modern discoveries and established scientific facts contradict with the "words of gods". If the God is real, the words of gods are supposed to be true and accurate, right? But there are tons of scientific and historic inaccuracies in religious scriptures like Bible, Quraan, Vedas and other Hindu scripters etc. So if a God who's supposed to be perfect, how come his words are so contradictory? And most of the atheists here and I know of personally never became atheists just because they "should" or felt like it. Most of us are atheists/agnostics because we find these "words of gods" incorrect, contradictory, hateful and sometimes even dangerous in nature.
[+] 3 users Like TheUnholy's post
04-05-2017, 06:24 PM
(01-05-2017 07:41 PM)Zombocalypse Wrote:  How could I be sure that there is no God?

Here's the thing. You don't have to be sure.
How can you be sure that in 10 years an asteroid won't wipe out our existence ?

Again, you don't have to be sure.
You also don't have to worry about it.
You don't have to let something you don't know or can't know, bother you one bit.

I don't know who is going to win the World Cup five years from now. Should I worry about it every day ?

NO !!

So stop with the whole "How can I be sure thing ?"
Instead, just go live a good life.
Be proud of the things you do.
Treat people well.
Have a cold beer.

Relax in such a way that other people will be jealous of how chill you are.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
04-05-2017, 08:34 PM
(04-05-2017 06:24 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Relax in such a way that other people will be jello of how chill you are.

[Image: jelly_4a8b946318155.jpg]

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
04-05-2017, 09:33 PM
To fully enjoy and savor the entertainment that theists of all flavors bring.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Why should I be an atheist?
"How could I be sure there is no God?"

Here's the thing man... you can't prove something DOESN'T exist. You can't tell me, without a doubt, 100% , that there aren't magical Trolls living under certain bridges in Iceland. You can't prove something that doesn't exist. YOU however, are probably a troll on this site. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like treefireguy's post
04-05-2017, 10:06 PM

That is a big question. You will never be able to know for sure if Chinnamasta
exists. https://owlcation.com/humanities/10-Weir...-Goddesses

Oh. You mean Yahweh Sabaoth, the Jewish god. The 70th son of the chief Babylonian deity, El Elyon, the "Lord of Hosts", (god of the armies), THAT god.

Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-05-2017, 10:13 PM
(04-05-2017 10:06 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

That is a big question. You will never be able to know for sure if Chinnamasta
exists. https://owlcation.com/humanities/10-Weir...-Goddesses

Oh. You mean Yahweh Sabaoth, the Jewish god. The 70th son of the chief Babylonian deity, El Elyon, the "Lord of Hosts", (god of the armies), THAT god.

Facepalm

Now now, Bucky. While that IS true, it's not common knowledge and it's not fair to mock people for not knowing it. Remember that most people don't realize how ascended fanfics work and don't understand that Yahweh is basically Christian Grey.

..... okay, don't take that chiding seriously, I just wanted the opportunity to compare the Bible to 50 Shades of Grey. Big Grin

..... um, which one has less BDSM in it? Consider
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
04-05-2017, 11:49 PM
(04-05-2017 06:50 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(04-05-2017 06:38 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  This has got to be the most idiotic thing I have read from a theist in......at least a few days.

Which thing?

Exactly

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
05-05-2017, 05:35 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 05:46 AM by Chas.)
(03-05-2017 06:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 05:45 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  You know what, I'm done arguing with your strawman.

I didn't strawman either. Those where you words, and your examples.

You hold that Christianity is belief based on no evidence. You claimed that holding such a belief makes you more gullible, and listed a variety of examples of gullibility. You made a hypothesis, presented it as a fact, and have dodged every turn to actually support it.

I'm a Christian, and you claim that being a Christian makes me more receptive to gullibility, yet you can't demonstrate even one example of something someone such as myself is likely to fall far, as a result of gullibility anymore so than you, particularly when it comes to areas unrelated to my religious belief.

You presented a hypothesis, with no actual support, and one that attempts to dodge every attempt at gauging the validity of its conclusion.

There is no credible evidence to support Christianity.
Believing it is true doers not make one gullible, it demonstrates that one already is gullible.
The conclusion is self-evident.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post