Why should I be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2017, 06:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 09:02 AM by Fatbaldhobbit.)
RE: Why should I be an atheist?
(05-05-2017 05:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  There is no credible evidence to support Christianity.
Believing it is true doers not make one gullible, it demonstrates that one already is gullible.
The conclusion is self-evident.

But Chas, gullibility=skepticism:

(03-05-2017 08:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  In reality there is no such thing as a skeptical mindset, there’s just minds, that operate the way minds are predisposed to operating.

We're all gullible in our own ways, according to our predispositions.

Atheists can't even discuss morality, because it's subjective.
Atheists can't be skeptical because skeptical means gullible.
Evidence doesn't matter because, they don't have any.
Anecdotes are bad unless they use them.

I'm sensing a pattern here...

ETA: oops. changed can to can't.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
05-05-2017, 09:27 AM
(03-05-2017 08:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  In reality there is no such thing as a skeptical mindset, there’s just minds, that operate the way minds are predisposed to operating.

False. Demonstrably false.

We are pattern seeking monkeys.
Some may see potential patterns, and not buy the pattern that others claim may be obvious.

But thanks for the ignorant dogmatic unsupported assertion.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gregsatell/...86d8601900

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-05-2017, 09:43 AM
Tommy would like to claim that atheists and theists are like two different people looking at the ink blot and seeing different things there.

In reality, one of us is saying "that's an inkblot" and the other is saying "I can see Jesus!"

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 9 users Like morondog's post
05-05-2017, 09:59 AM
(05-05-2017 09:43 AM)morondog Wrote:  Tommy would like to claim that atheists and theists are like two different people looking at the ink blot and seeing different things there.

In reality, one of us is saying "that's an inkblot" and the other is saying "I can see Jesus!"

Thing that gets me riled up is he comes around intermittently shits his diarrhoea over the forum deliberately baiting everyone then runs away when the heat gets too great and returns sometime later to repeat the process.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
05-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Why should I be an atheist?
If I'm honest with myself, I don't know if I ever believed in any God. Even as a small child, my parents and grandparents would tell me stories and read the Bible to me and in the back of my mind there was always a part of me that thought "what if this is all just bullshit?"

As I got older and more accustomed to critical thinking, I finally had the courage to admit to myself and later to others that I don't believe any of the stories at all. I credit religion for instilling in me a strong sense of truth and honor, but let's be honest... A healthy understanding of science and correcting for ones own personal biases to obtain truth could've done the same thing.... But it was that adherence to the truth in an absolute manner is what led me to my realization that I am an atheist and quite possibly I've always been an atheist.

It's that simple.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like hyperhealer's post
05-05-2017, 10:35 AM
(05-05-2017 09:59 AM)hyperhealer Wrote:  If I'm honest with myself, I don't know if I ever believed in any God. Even as a small child, my parents and grandparents would tell me stories and read the Bible to me and in the back of my mind there was always a part of me that thought "what if this is all just bullshit?"

As I got older and more accustomed to critical thinking, I finally had the courage to admit to myself and later to others that I don't believe any of the stories at all. I credit religion for instilling in me a strong sense of truth and honor, but let's be honest... A healthy understanding of science and correcting for ones own personal biases to obtain truth could've done the same thing.... But it was that adherence to the truth in an absolute manner is what led me to my realization that I am an atheist and quite possibly I've always been an atheist.

It's that simple.

While I appreciate your story, and think it's pretty awesome. I take issue with the idea that religion can instill a strong sense of truth and honor. As I'm sure you're already aware that without critical thinking, objective removal of personal bias, and intellectual integrity you can have no demonstrable truth. And second, there is no honor if that honor is built from lies, and a need to bury yourself in lies to maintain a untrue faith based belief.

I know you have said you didn't drink the cool aid, and I think you're right. However I suspect your attributing religion to those two ideas is based on a desire to try and say religion can be "helpful" in some way. That it's not all bad. Unfortunately this is not the case, and those arguments we use to try and lessen the problems that religion creates is based on our desire to make things look and feel less bad than they are. They are not based in objective observation.

I would encourage you not to allow your emotions to cloud your judgment.

I offer this correction to you precisely because you value objectivity and correction as values worthy of respect. And your consideration of my correction is further reinforcement of my point.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
05-05-2017, 10:38 AM
(05-05-2017 09:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

False. Demonstrably false.

Some may see potential patterns, and not buy the pattern that others claim may be obvious.

HEY HEY HEY! I AIN'T NO FUCKING MONKEY!

Specifically I'm a great ape. Get it right dammit!

(Maybe it's just me, but saying this made me laugh my ass off)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
05-05-2017, 11:14 AM
(05-05-2017 09:59 AM)hyperhealer Wrote:  If I'm honest with myself, I don't know if I ever believed in any God. Even as a small child, my parents and grandparents would tell me stories and read the Bible to me and in the back of my mind there was always a part of me that thought "what if this is all just bullshit?"

It's that simple.

Sounds like me, I just took almost 40 years to get there.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
05-05-2017, 11:38 AM
(05-05-2017 10:38 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 09:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  False. Demonstrably false.

HEY HEY HEY! I AIN'T NO FUCKING MONKEY!

Specifically I'm a great ape. Get it right dammit!

(Maybe it's just me, but saying this made me laugh my ass off)

Big Grin

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-05-2017, 11:43 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm descended from a baboon, as my ass is blue covered in spots and always smeared with shit. Drinking Beverage